Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

1 hour ago, strichener said:

You should probably read you own links.

Time to stop digging.  You fucked up but are too stubborn to admit it.  Not surprising for some one who doesn't know there is a difference between the SNP and Scottish Government.

Let's put this to bed once and for all.  Here is an extract from House of Commons Business, Energy and Industrial  Strategy Committee report

The safety of Electrical Goods in the UK

The GPSR directive applies  to second hand goods with the following exception:

shall not apply to second-hand products supplied as antiques or as products to be repaired or reconditioned prior to being used, provided that the supplier clearly informs the person to whom he supplies the product to that effect;

Finally if your strawman "Neither EU nor UK product safety requirements prevent anyone from selling electrical goods that are known to be safe." was actually the point of the discussion then you stating that it was UK law would have been pointless since your now arguing that there is no laws to stop the selling.  The point is that the onus on the charity to ensure that it is not faulty has the consequence of stopping then from selling the items due to potential liabilities which would be prosecuted under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005.

More drivel. 

"The GPSR directive applies  to second hand goods"

There's no such thing as the "GPSR directive". There are UK regulations (the GPSR) that implement the GPSD (the relevant EU directive)

I've already referred you to the relevant regulation in the GPSR (Reg 3). 

The GPSR would apply to a 2nd hand pair of jeans, or a 2nd hand wardrobe as there are no sector-specific safery regulations that cover these products. The GPSR does not apply to electrical products. In the main, they are primarily regulated by regulations such as those I've already mentioned, which are masde under the CPA'87

Tell you what, though, I'll go into SRAWEB tomorrow (I assume an expert like you knows what SRAWEB is?) and look for the offences relating to unsafe electrical equipment. They will refer to Section 12 of the CPA'87.

"since your (sic) now arguing that there is no laws to stop the selling" 

There are no laws to stop the sale of safe products. There are intertwined UK & EU laws that prevent the sale of unsafe goods.

"The point is that the onus on the charity to ensure that it is not faulty has the consequence of stopping then from selling the items due to potential liabilities which would be prosecuted under the General Product Safety Regulations 2005."

Incorrect. Firstly, it's not a criminal offence to sell faulty goods. Faulty is not the same thing as unsafe.

Secondly, the onus is on the prosecution to show that the goods are unsafe. There is no onus on the defence to prove anything.

The onus is also on the prosecution to prosecute the correct offence. In the case of unsafe electrical equipment, the primary offence is set out in the CPA'87 Section 12.

EDITED TO ADD

https://www.redcross.org.uk/shop/furniture-and-electrical-charity-shops

All of our charity shops may sell, or accept donations of, furniture and electrical items.

Please also check

https://www.redcross.org.uk/shop/donating-items-to-our-charity-shops/donations-we-can-not-accept

Edited by lichtgilphead

I've seen some tedious pedantic pointless arguments on here but my cap is doffed to you 2. Well done sirs.

The amount of googling to win an online argument is commendable.

And a little sad. 😃

Edit: Obviously I didn't read all that guff.

Edited by Suspect Device

2 hours ago, Suspect Device said:

I've seen some tedious pedantic pointless arguments on here but my cap is doffed to you 2. Well done sirs.

The amount of googling to win an online argument is commendable.

And a little sad. 😃

Edit: Obviously I didn't read all that guff.

You're missing out.

I think the jist is that every EU citizen is required to buy a second hand toaster from a charity shop

As far as I know, the plan is to leave the EU, start off with EU law and then diverge wherever we like.

This woman lobbies parliament demanding the right to sell faulty equipment.
Sounds ridiculous but symbolically it just might work.
Parliament debates the issue and the true patriots vote it through for king and country and all that.

Then, somebody like Jacob Rees Mogg or Boris Johnson does a photo opportunity.
"I can now say that here in Britain and only in Britain I can proudly purchase this faulty toaster from a charity shop."

In order to demonstrate the point, he then tries to switch it on and is promptly electrocuted.

What a devious plan!

Opposition cross party talks look to have gone well.  The approach will be a legislative approach to block No Deal.

Corbyn’s willingness to compromise will stand him in good stead for any future discussions.

Farage meanwhile looking to force a No Deal by offering Johnson an electoral pact.  Lots of Tory MPs worried about their seats might like this.

2 hours ago, Fullerene said:

As far as I know, the plan is to leave the EU, start off with EU law and then diverge wherever we like.

This woman lobbies parliament demanding the right to sell faulty equipment.
Sounds ridiculous but symbolically it just might work.
Parliament debates the issue and the true patriots vote it through for king and country and all that.

Then, somebody like Jacob Rees Mogg or Boris Johnson does a photo opportunity.
"I can now say that here in Britain and only in Britain I can proudly purchase this faulty toaster from a charity shop."

In order to demonstrate the point, he then tries to switch it on and is promptly electrocuted.

What a devious plan!

that would shirley prompt a volte-face

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

Opposition cross party talks look to have gone well.  The approach will be a legislative approach to block No Deal.

Corbyn’s willingness to compromise will stand him in good stead for any future discussions.

Farage meanwhile looking to force a No Deal by offering Johnson an electoral pact.  Lots of Tory MPs worried about their seats might like this.

Has La Swinson been asked how it went?

Hang on, just turned on BBC news and that vent's doll Brake appears to be today's representative for the Can't Believe They're Not Tories party.

Maybe the lovely Jo is thinking it might be time to spend a wee bit of time buffing her image in her constituency - a well-timed GE could conceivably see her and Johnson both lose their seats. This would please me.

Rather than offering a pact, it looks like Fromage is threatening, "if you don't leave the way we want, we'll crucify your vote-share nationwide."  This would also please me.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie
Shitty work keyboard

19 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Parliament Vs the People. Boris Johnson will emerge as the people's champion. Swinson et al will be roasted

While he was a bumbling back-bencher, or even as Mayor of London*, his nonsensical fucking around had little otr no effect on most peoples' lives. Now he's in the Big Chair, the shambolic clown isn't such a good look. Johnson is Johnson's champion. Not the people, not his Party, not even his many families. Just him, and every day that passes more people look behind the curtain and see that Oz is being run by a self-serving, incompetent cúnt.

*Where, for the avoidance of doubt, he was a fucking disaster. Badly designed buses, unusable water-cannon, non-existent bridge, ridiculous cable car, Island airport - a varied number of ways to piss away other people's money, I'll grant you. Then there was public safety being screwed as he slashed resources for Fire and Police. The one thing his supporters claim as an unqualified success - those "Boris bikes" - were actually planned and funded by Livingstone's administration.

While he was a bumbling back-bencher, or even as Mayor of London*, his nonsensical fucking around had little otr no effect on most peoples' lives. Now he's in the Big Chair, the shambolic clown isn't such a good look. Johnson is Johnson's champion. Not the people, not his Party, not even his many families. Just him, and every day that passes more people look behind the curtain and see that Oz is being run by a self-serving, incompetent cúnt.
*Where, for the avoidance of doubt, he was a fucking disaster. Badly designed buses, unusable water-cannon, non-existent bridge, ridiculous cable car, Island airport - a varied number of ways to piss away other people's money, I'll grant you. Then there was public safety being screwed as he slashed resources for Fire and Police. The one thing his supporters claim as an unqualified success - those "Boris bikes" - were actually planned and funded by Livingstone's administration.
Don't deny any of that. But you wait and see. The right wing press will go with Parliament vs the People. And Bojo will lap it up....

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:
28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Don't deny any of that. But you wait and see. The right wing press will go with Parliament vs the People. And Bojo will lap it up....

I see where you're coming from, but I think his opponent is likely to be Farage, in some kind of bizarre "I can f**k up the country faster and more damagingly than you" contest. Neither of whom will lose said contest, of course. Oh, no, it'll be us that will suffer.

And it'll be Corbyn's fault. Natch.

28 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

I wouldn't be too sure, he's currently playing the game of promising the earth to everyone and it appears to be working.

The pensioners all believe he's standing up for them and taking on the BBC, the Brexiteers all think he's bullying the EU into submission, the undecided and disillusioned Northerners are beginning to buy his "funding for the North" rhetoric and all in all he's saying the right things and aiming them at the right people from his perspective.

Let's be honest, if it was a Labour PM who came out with even half of his "pledges" then they'd be getting completely slaughtered in the press about spending money that's not there, "magic money trees", "typical Labour lefty", "pie in the sky", "using other peoples money" etc, etc.

What can you say, his "people" are certainly doing a great PR job and the right wing press are playing their part perfectly..................

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I wouldn't be too sure, he's currently playing the game of promising the earth to everyone and it appears to be working.

The pensioners all believe he's standing up for them and taking on the BBC, the Brexiteers all think he's bullying the EU into submission, the undecided and disillusioned Northerners are beginning to buy his "funding for the North" rhetoric and all in all he's saying the right things and aiming them at the right people from his perspective.

Let's be honest, if it was a Labour PM who came out with even half of his "pledges" then they'd be getting completely slaughtered in the press about spending money that's not there, "magic money trees", "typical Labour lefty", "pie in the sky", "using other peoples money" etc, etc.

What can you say, his "people" are certainly doing a great PR job and the right wing press are playing their part perfectly..................

Not the ones I live and work with, they're not. Quite the opposite - I've had a couple of ABCs say that they'll hold their nose and go Labour in any future election until this lot, and especially Johnson, are gone. They were happy with the racism, lying and general poor character when he could be dismissed as "just Boris being Boris". That's no longer the case, and the frankly embarrassing schmoozing around possibly the only politician more racist and sexist than he is over the weekend has tipped the scales further. One lad at work said, "I voted to take back our country, not give it away to the fucking Yanks".

5 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Not the ones I live and work with, they're not. Quite the opposite - I've had a couple of ABCs say that they'll hold their nose and go Labour in any future election until this lot, and especially Johnson, are gone. They were happy with the racism, lying and general poor character when he could be dismissed as "just Boris being Boris". That's no longer the case, and the frankly embarrassing schmoozing around possibly the only politician more racist and sexist than he is over the weekend has tipped the scales further. One lad at work said, "I voted to take back our country, not give it away to the fucking Yanks".

Sensible guy, I just hope there's lots and lots more like him but I wouldn't bank on it.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

Sensible guy, I just hope there's lots and lots more like him but I wouldn't bank on it.

They are beginning to make themselves heard. The biggest challenge was always going to get those who were fooled by the lies of the Leave campaign* to admit they'd been duped. I believe that, given the privacy of a polling booth, we would have reversed the result at the end of last year. Now, more and more are willing to admit their mistake - a switch that will snowball as it becomes more acceptable to do so. I have spoken to more than a few who would vote the other way - some even voicing their unease before the result was declared - and exactly none of them would switch from remain to leave.

* And yes, I know lies were told on both sides - but those peddled by Boris, Nigel, Jacob** and their chums were never going to stand up to any kind of scrutiny. I would wager that the reult, if taken only on the 5% or so extra or additional voters who took part in the referendum over a GE, would have been comfortably 80-20 in favour of leave simply because the politically naive amongst us actually fell for that shite.

**Good lads to have at your side when battling the Elite Political Classes, I reckon...