Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

My impression following today's SC proceedings is that the judges are intervening and quizzing James Eadie at regular intervals, requesting full clarification on specific points and analogies he's bringing up.  Their interjections yesterday were much more infrequent.

Maybe they're not taking kindly to him telling them what they can and can't get involved with.   Either way, they're takin' nane o' his snash - thus far.

7 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

My impression following today's SC proceedings is that the judges are intervening and quizzing James Eadie at regular intervals, requesting full clarification on specific points and analogies he's bringing up.  Their interjections yesterday were much more infrequent.

Maybe they're not taking kindly to him telling them what they can and can't get involved with.   Either way, they're takin' nane o' his snash - thus far.

Eadie is essentially saying that Parliament can counter-check its own prorogation, post-hoc or after the fact, which is pretty absurd. 

There's also no effective check to prevent the Executive proroguing Parliament for 51 weeks of the year, going by Eadie's argument. He's not blustering like Lord Keen, but he's hurting the Governments case more I'd say. 

Edited by SweeperDee

15 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

Eadie is essentially saying that Parliament can counter-check its own prorogation, post-hoc or after the fact, which is pretty absurd. 

There's also no effective check to prevent the Executive proroguing Parliament for 51 weeks of the year, going by Eadie's argument. He's not blustering like Lord Keen, but he's hurting the Governments case more I'd say. 

Here's a mad scenario. 

Brexit party wins most seats in next election, then prorogues parliament indefinitely and rules as a dictatorship.

Seems to be a possibility given the present government's line.

Great point made by one of the justices:

That by issuing a 5 week prorogation which included recess, the government deprived Parliament of the chance to debate and vote whether or not to go in to recess, when all previous recesses had involved a vote on whether or not to enter recess.

1 minute ago, Kejan said:

Apologies if its been asked, but been a bit all over the place the last few days ; but is the verdict due soon as in the next few days?

Friday at the earliest, Monday at the latest. 

Edited by SweeperDee

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

Dependent on how much of a mad one they have at the weekend?

I can envisage Lord Kerr railing lines off of Lady Hale's arse, tbf. (Not really, don't sue pls)

Edited by SweeperDee

I must be missing something here but what exactly would be the point of Westminster being recalled now anyway? Johnson's hands are already pretty much tied from the votes held in the quickfire sessions last week. Obviously Johnson being humiliated yet again in the courts (and best of all, by Jocko upstarts) is a good thing and there's a constitutional issue at stake as well, but bringing it back just for four more weeks of rehashing the same debate lines may not play well in the longer term. 

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Aidan O'Neill (acting for Joanna Cherry) giving a brilliant performance in the Supreme Court.

It's a performance for sure, but I'm not sure the bench are really appreciating it. Maybe needs to get to the nitty gritty faster. 

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

It's a performance for sure, but I'm not sure the bench are really appreciating it. Maybe needs to get to the nitty gritty faster. 

I'm loving every minute of it.

Quote :

Some gentle mocking of English political culture from O’Neill: “sometimes from English history you’d think the only two years which mattered were 1066 and 1966.”

Just now, welshbairn said:

Comparing the Scottish court case to Braveheart II fell a bit flat.

Yeah, it's all fair and well in other circumstances but he's playing that sort of material to the wrong gallery to be frank. He's doing much better now that he's got into the facts of the matter.