Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Reports from various sources makes it look like sufficient Labour MPs will take this over the line.

Imagine a Labour MP wanting to hand a right wing Tory PM such a huge win weeks before an election.

Hopefully they will be denied the need to explain this to voters as Labour candidates. 

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Reports from various sources makes it look like sufficient Labour MPs will take this over the line.

Imagine a Labour MP wanting to hand a right wing Tory PM such a huge win weeks before an election.

Hopefully they will be denied the need to explain this to voters as Labour candidates. 

Given that the majority of Labour MPs constituents in the North of England voted to leave, I'd say that they'd be fine with that. Only London, Scotland and Northern Ireland really voted to remain regionally. 

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Given that the majority of Labour MPs constituents in the North of England voted to leave, I'd say that they'd be fine with that. Only London, Scotland and Northern Ireland really voted to remain regionally. 

We don't know if the majority of Labour voters in the North of England voted Leave though, most estimates say they didn't. 

5 minutes ago, sjc said:

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

We don't know if the majority of Labour voters in the North of England voted Leave though, most estimates say they didn't. 

He didn't say "majority of Labour voters", he said "majority of Labour MPs constituents".

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

He didn't say "majority of Labour voters", he said "majority of Labour MPs constituents".

I know, but the MPs might not be popular with the people who actually voted for them.

Various reports of up to 11 labour mps will vote for the deal from various news outlets still leaves it short.However will any tories rebel the other way? Not the ones who had the whip removed but ones still inside the party?

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Given the demographic that suffers most from the free movement of workers is the traditional Labour voter, I'd say it's fairly safe to assume this.

Just now, ICTJohnboy said:

Granny did, although he's since seen the error of his ways.

It's been mentioned  before on here , but it's worth repeating that it was people like him who got us into this mess in the first place.

I can understand people voting leave, as the neoliberal EU project has hugely increased the gap between "haves" and "have nots".

As an educated, experienced Engineer/Project Manager I was fine but I saw first hand the artificial wage suppression of skilled workers lowered by the influx of supposedly qualified skilled workers from Eastern Europe. This suited the international companies two fold in that they saved on the expense of training youngsters plus the influx stemmed demand and lowered wages from their true worth.

Latest Letwin amendment looks like a game changer.  

ETA looks like all 21 Tory ‘rebels’ are behind it.

https://news.sky.com/story/letwin-amendment-could-mean-the-honeymoon-is-over-for-pm-11838756

Edited by Granny Danger

Just posted this and now this article from the torygraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/10/18/friday-evening-news-briefing-two-government-ministers-resignation/?WT.mc_id=tmg_share_fb

Various reports of up to 11 labour mps will vote for the deal from various news outlets still leaves it short.However will any tories rebel the other way? Not the ones who had the whip removed but ones still inside the party?

45 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

They should be hunted into the sea if they do. Handing Johnson another 5 years on a plate if they do. If that's where Labour is as an organisation then the 2 party duopoly is about to reduce by 1.

They should be hunted into the sea if they do. Handing Johnson another 5 years on a plate if they do. If that's where Labour is as an organisation then the 2 party duopoly is about to reduce by 1.
To think that a bone-headed b*****d like Ronnie Campbell could irrevocably diminish my grand-daughters life chances sickens me to the pit of my stomach.

3 minutes ago, HTG said:

I think if Johnson’s ‘deal’ goes through then any Labour MPs who back it, or even abstain, will not be Labour candidates in the forthcoming election.

Labour have played it canny so far, going for persuasion rather than threats.  That might pay dividends in winning support for Letwin’s amendment which it looks like Labour ‘rebels’ might support.

5 minutes ago, HTG said:

I'm not sure if Labour would lose by Boris getting his deal. If they block it, Boris goes into the election as a heroic failure, stymied by Labour who would never vote FOR anything. If it passes, it's a straightforward battle between deregulated, no workers' rights, sell the NHS to the Yanks deal; and a customs union, rights protected, environmentally responsible, close alignment with the single market deal. No "Labour can't decide, half of them want one thing, the rest want another" spin all over the media. 

So what is the angle with Labour apparently issuing no admonition to their MP's intending to back Johnson ? Are they trying to appeal to their better judgement in the hope that they reconsider, or fear that going in hard will merely harden their resolve ?

It would be fascinating to find out just how many of their constituents are still hell-bent on Brexit in mid-October 2019.