Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Human beings are c***s and the USA and UK are arsehole countries. 

I can't remember who said it, but if all the birds in the world died, the world would come to an end.  Life on earth would stop.  If all the bees in the world died, life on earth would cease.  If all the fish in the world died, the world would come to an end.  If all the humans in the world died the world would flourish.  

3 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t think we’re at Trumpian levels of adulation yet, however there appears to be a frightening reluctance amongst Tory voters to hold Johnson accountable for his words and actions.

I’m hopeful that when the shit hits the fan there will a change to this thinking but it’s likely to be marginal rather than wholesale, and even then I’m not holding my breath.

Those Tory voters who realise they've been had are heading In the direction of Farage, rather than anywhere else. 

52 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

A must-read thread that explains just how fucked we are because of Boris fucking Johnson.

How on earth is that a must-read thread?

Since Boris Johnson became PM I don't recall a single time he has suggested the UK continue to be part of the single market, never mind 'demanded'. The man's a dishonest cock, but threads like the one by the fantasist ('my Brussels group' - LOL) you've linked to do absolutely nothing to illuminate what's been going on behind the scenes.

10 hours ago, coprolite said:

I suspect that "financial support" will be token and inadequate. 

Most of the talk has been about us losing export markets in the EU. 

Very little has been said about the effects of potentially removing the protectionist EU tarrifs. 

The government has floated the idea of the UK going tarrif free. First year economics says this increases trade and net welfare. But there would be winners and losers. 

For the aforementioned lamb, removing 12.8%+£2.50/kg from the cost of NZ lamb would make UK production uncompetitive at home. 

We could protect the Uk production by putting higher tarrifs on all imports than we currently have, so that domestic consumers support domestic producers. But that would be incompatible with trade deals with the exporting countries. 

There is a very delicate balancing act that requires a neutral assessment of the costs and benefits of every decision. What we'll get in knee jerk protection for totemic industries. Anything high profile and nationalistic will be looked after. Economically significant but unglamorous industries (intermediate chemicals, car parts) will be fucked

Unfortunately I think you're right, but I still have a hope that we could at least make the best of a shite situation and unilaterally end the protectionist tariff regime that the EU has created for us. If Bojo and the boys had any brains they could use it to show the world that the UK is not some small-minded island of bigots but in fact has some kind of coherent and principled belief in free trade. Which is why it won't happen.

13 minutes ago, bendan said:

How on earth is that a must-read thread?

Since Boris Johnson became PM I don't recall a single time he has suggested the UK continue to be part of the single market, never mind 'demanded'. The man's a dishonest cock, but threads like the one by the fantasist ('my Brussels group' - LOL) you've linked to do absolutely nothing to illuminate what's been going on behind the scenes.

I like the way you slip in the PM modifier because you know he suggested the UK would have access to the single market constantly beforehand.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

Unfortunately I think you're right, but I still have a hope that we could at least make the best of a shite situation and unilaterally end the protectionist tariff regime that the EU has created for us. If Bojo and the boys had any brains they could use it to show the world that the UK is not some small-minded island of bigots but in fact has some kind of coherent and principled belief in free trade. Which is why it won't happen.

The EU created a protectionist tariff regime for us? Like, for the UK? i don't think you're really getting the idea of a trading bloc. 

1 minute ago, Baxter Parp said:

I like the way you slip in the PM modifier because you know he suggested the UK would have access to the single market constantly beforehand.

So you agree that the 'must-read' thread by your fantasist Twitter hero is in fact incorrect. 

5 minutes ago, oldbitterandgrumpy said:

The EU created a protectionist tariff regime for us? Like, for the UK? i don't think you're really getting the idea of a trading bloc. 

For us as part of the EU. Why exactly do we need tariffs of 75% on lamb, 50% on cheese?

34 minutes ago, bendan said:

WTO rules mate, or Australian deal as Boris likes to call it. If we impose zero tariffs on one country, outside a comprehensive treaty, we have to do the same for all, whether or not they reciprocate. Why would they? 

Edited by welshbairn

10 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

WTO rules mate, or Australian deal as Boris likes to call it. If we impose zero tariffs on one country, outside a comprehensive treaty, we have to do the same for all, whether or not they reciprocate. Why would they? 

Exactly, why would they? 

Go on yourself UK, 'World Beating' self-harm. 

Edited by oldbitterandgrumpy

30 minutes ago, Detournement said:

It looks like Boris has went over to make the deal then decided to f**k it and go for No Deal.

The internal border is too much shit for any real Tory to eat. 

He doesn't give a f**k about Northern Ireland, it's having to keep up with European basic minimum rights and standards he's worried about.

Edited by welshbairn