Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I think you misunderstand the plan-free populist opportunist nature of this government. I guess it's comforting to think that there are unseen forces with a masterplan rather than imbeciles making shit up as they go. 

It's probably a bit of both.

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

I don't dispute that there will always be a low tax, small state faction in the Tories. They might be able to exploit not being in the EU to achieve their objectives if they can persuade the leadership that it will win votes. 

I think you misunderstand the plan-free populist opportunist nature of this government. I guess it's comforting to think that there are unseen forces with a masterplan rather than imbeciles making shit up as they go. 

I think that your belief in the EU (containing Luxembourg, Ireland, Netherlands, Malta, Cyprus) as a paragon of tax justice is also misplaced. 

I think this is very much it. There is no unseen hedge fund hand behind this, Leave no more expected to win than Remain expected them too either. Leave had no plan - great or otherwise - for exiting the EU and basically flaffed around for 4 years.

Many on here predicted a No Deal and were salivating at the thought of it and were convinced this was the Leavers grand plan, and are now trying to hide their disappointment that this didn't materialise. Others predicted that a deal would be stitched together at the last minute as that was "the EU way", and have been proved right in that respect.

This deal is probably not as good as it could have been, (although who from the array of stunning talent at Westminster could have negotiated a better one I don't know) but it's better than no deal and seems quite beneficial to NI.

Edited by Jacksgranda
Wrong wording

Just reflecting on the accusation that this forum lacks critical thinking, here's some critical thinking on how the government has tackled the issues of denying parliament the time and authority it needs to undertake critical thinking and analysis. 

The vote yesterday was absolutely meaningless. Starmer has thrown Labour under a bus rather than seek to secure proper debate and ability to judge the merits of the agreement on an informed basis. 

Parliamentary authority is being systematically eroded and the consequences for devolved administrations are potentially very serious. 

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/uk-eu-agreement-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR3zhppy9gyZ2JXwBol6MgH_0hBevnC_l8hKgFRHS1WBw0Yp8Gy4gnWFE5Q

7 minutes ago, HTG said:

Just reflecting on the accusation that this forum lacks critical thinking, here's some critical thinking on how the government has tackled the issues of denying parliament the time and authority it needs to undertake critical thinking and analysis. 

The vote yesterday was absolutely meaningless. Starmer has thrown Labour under a bus rather than seek to secure proper debate and ability to judge the merits of the agreement on an informed basis. 

Parliamentary authority is being systematically eroded and the consequences for devolved administrations are potentially very serious. 

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/uk-eu-agreement-parliament/?fbclid=IwAR3zhppy9gyZ2JXwBol6MgH_0hBevnC_l8hKgFRHS1WBw0Yp8Gy4gnWFE5Q

Good points well made. 

The good eggs exist in a small minority on this section of the forum.

1 hour ago, Stormzy said:

So presuming what people believe based entirely on your perception due to the team they watch kick a ball around a pitch isn't infantile or are you just providing an example of what you're claiming is an "infantile" thing...

This place... 😂

3 of the 4 twitter profiles have ranjurz names and are bigging up Michael Gove for a piece of startling hypocrisy that even has conservatives cringing🤷‍♂️ - hypocrisy btw which is designed only to try to dog-whistle amoebas like these dudes away from actually noticing that they've just been properly shafted by the party they presumably vote for. 

It's not infantile, they're just childishly transparent 👍 

Edited by madwullie

55 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

McKellen.

Grey or White?

I'd have to pick Lee for his literally classified exploits killing Nazis in the Second World War. Some boy.

Just now, MixuFruit said:

Could mean Sylvester McCoy as Radagast. Just an absolute dogshit clown wizard.

Listen you got a 66 2/3rd chance of winning

download (3).jpeg

8 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I'd have to pick Lee for his literally classified exploits killing Nazis in the Second World War. Some boy.

It wasn't just Nazis he killed, volunteered for the Finns against the Red Army beforehand, at 18.

13 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It wasn't just Nazis he killed, volunteered for the Finns against the Red Army beforehand, at 18.

I think if I remember right the English volunteers had a lot of photos taken and were kept about 100 miles from the frontline. Still a madly interesting guy. Did he not do some heavy metal stuff as well? I've just checked his wiki and he also witnessed the last public guillotining in France 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

I think it's do with how infantile it is to base your politics entirely round the team you support, with little to no actual analysis or understanding of how issues affect your everyday life and those of your fellow citizens? 

Actively cheering on Gove for having a dig at Scottish nationalism when this whole affair has broadly been caused by English nationalism, sorry, English "sovereignty" 

Indeed. This is an example of such a thing.

Those of a nervous disposition and those that might  be induced to rage should avoid clicking the link.

Suffice it to say that the pinned tweet, sets the tone...

"It is incompatible to be a Rangers supporter & someone sympathetic to - or voter of - the #SNP. End of."

As a further Lee aside it's funny to think about the fetishisation of Special Forces and how they're perceived now versus in WWII. There's such a detachment from the idea of plucky young lads with a bit of extra training in abseiling and basic camo versus the "SAS: Are you Tough Enough" supersoldier brand these days

7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I think I remember right the English volunteers had a lot of photos taken and we're kept about 100 miles from the frontline. Still a madly interesting guy. Did he not do some heavy metal stuff as well? I've just checked his wiki and he also witnessed the last public guillotining in France 

Our old family minister volunteered for the Finns as an Ambulance driving pacifist, and when he came home we were partners with the Soviets, so he was questioned by Special Branch as technically a traitor. Think he had to stay under house arrest for a couple of weeks while they sorted out the paperwork.