Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

Why do people claim Brexit is a success if it turns out to be not as bad as some people feared?

Brexit was sold as a massive improvement.  More money for the NHS.  Everything gets better.

I will wait to see the big Brexit bonus when the UK obviously benefits from being outside of the EU.  Might be a long wait. 

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Why do people claim Brexit is a success if it turns out to be not as bad as some people feared?

Brexit was sold as a massive improvement.  More money for the NHS.  Everything gets better.

I will wait to see the big Brexit bonus when the UK obviously benefits from being outside of the EU.  Might be a long wait. 

Part of the problem is that a lot of Remainers so massively over-egged the pudding of economic Armageddon that almost any outcome seems not nearly as bad as feared. And yet the real loss in all of this - things like freedom of movement, European solidarity - continues to be understated.

8 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Financial services still need to be sorted out, so this thread is far from over.

I'm not sure financial services are going to be 'sorted out'. The EU has freedom of movement of capital with third countries, so plenty of EU money will still find its way to London despite any regulatory obstacles in areas like Euro clearing or derivatives trading.

1 hour ago, bendan said:

Part of the problem is that a lot of Remainers so massively over-egged the pudding of economic Armageddon that almost any outcome seems not nearly as bad as feared. And yet the real loss in all of this - things like freedom of movement, European solidarity - continues to be understated.

Yes, it is easy to claim that it is not as bad as some people claimed but then again it wasn't suppose to be bad at all.  It was supposed to be brilliant.

It is like somebody trying to sell me a package holiday - "Oh go on, it will be the holiday of a lifetime".
Then when I get there and quickly discover it is not "the holiday of a lifetime", they quickly back pedal and say "It's not that bad.  What did you expect?"

I wonder when some of the people who voted Leave to improve their lives are going to say "Okay then, where is the improvement?"

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yes, it is easy to claim that it is not as bad as some people claimed but then again it wasn't suppose to be bad at all.  It was supposed to be brilliant.

It is like somebody trying to sell me a package holiday - "Oh go on, it will be the holiday of a lifetime".
Then when I get there and quickly discover it is not "the holiday of a lifetime", they quickly back pedal and say "It's not that bad.  What did you expect?"

I wonder when some of the people who voted Leave to improve their lives are going to say "Okay then, where is the improvement?"

Isn't that what always happens in politics? The government are going to frame any positive news as being a result of Brexit, so people will still have these arguments rather than simply admit that it has been a bit of a let-down.

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sorry, not getting this. Before we'd pay the vat at the EU country of origin, will that now have to be deducted and the UK rate added? 

They've changed the VAT point from importation to supply for all small purchases from overseas. I barely understand what this means in practice. 

In a separate but related rule change online market places are now required to account for VAT on overseas sales made through them. This is a change from the Seller accounting for it. 

It looks like an online market place is defined to catch the likes of amazon for definite, very probably ebay but not Gum tree or anything that's essentially just classifieds. 

11 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Sorry, not getting this. Before we'd pay the vat at the EU country of origin, will that now have to be deducted and the UK rate added? 

Your understanding of VAT is wrong.  Prior to Brexit, VAT was charged and collected in the country if consumption, nothing to do with the origin.  This has not changed post Brexit.

Link for EU VAT

32 minutes ago, strichener said:

Your understanding of VAT is wrong.  Prior to Brexit, VAT was charged and collected in the country if consumption, nothing to do with the origin.  This has not changed post Brexit.

Link for EU VAT

Not with the kilos of coffee I ordered from France, and consumed here, it wasn't.

A quick look says unless the order was for tens of thousands of Euros worth, the seller country's VAT rate was applied. Now they won't need to charge VAT at all, so I don't know what will happen.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/cross-border-vat/index_en.htm#withintheeusellgoodsfinalconsumer-1

Edited by welshbairn

52 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Who cares? If it makes the lives of those that you hate worse then it's a big success to these people.

1 hour ago, coprolite said:

They've changed the VAT point from importation to supply for all small purchases from overseas. I barely understand what this means in practice. 

In a separate but related rule change online market places are now required to account for VAT on overseas sales made through them. This is a change from the Seller accounting for it. 

It looks like an online market place is defined to catch the likes of amazon for definite, very probably ebay but not Gum tree or anything that's essentially just classifieds. 

eBay, too.

39 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not with the kilos of coffee I ordered from France, and consumed here, it wasn't.

A quick look says unless the order was for tens of thousands of Euros worth, the seller country's VAT rate was applied. Now they won't need to charge VAT at all, so I don't know what will happen.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/business/taxation/vat/cross-border-vat/index_en.htm#withintheeusellgoodsfinalconsumer-1

Again you are misreading this.  The VAT threshold is for the entirety of the business turnover in each country, not per order.  Coffee is zero rated in the UK so you wouldn't have paid VAT on a purchase in the UK.  If you were charged by the supplier before Brexit then you will see the benefits of Brexit the next time you order from them. 😉

1 minute ago, coprolite said:

As someone who has complained about apostrophe misuse before this isn't necessarily a criticism, but that is extremely pedantic to the point of being a disorder. 

Or he could have just been confirming the eBay are also subject to the new vat rules, clarifying your use of "probably".  That was how I read it anyway.

5 minutes ago, strichener said:

Or he could have just been confirming the eBay are also subject to the new vat rules, clarifying your use of "probably".  That was how I read it anyway.

Correct

3 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I have doubts. 

Doubt away