Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

6 hours ago, BlueBear said:

The seeth of a remainer is pleasing. 

Nothing worse than the self loathing coming out with the spelling shite. No amount of denial from Pluto will change the facts. 

"But he knows only too well that these British relocations and virtual asset transfers are there to allow the City to continue selling its own packages to EU clients after ‘passporting’ ended on January 1."

Indeed, the recent claim that "Amsterdam ousts London as Europe’s top share trading hub" was briskly debunked by the economist Gerard Lyons, the Professor added, who pointed out that most EU trading is a subset of the international trading that takes place in London, not to mention derivatives and currency trading where London is the global leader on which the EU is cruelly dependent. "

Oops! 

The City still rules because of the rules! 

Project fear has ended. Get with the programme ffs. 

Argument I can deal with, incoherent word salad with context-free quotes I struggle with.  And that closing paragraph 😂😂😂

On 01/07/2021 at 11:33, strichener said:

And yet the withdrawal agreement included the right of residency for UK citizens living in the EU.  How did that happen?

Coming back to point, the process for EU nationals to gain settled status in the UK is less onerous than most of the reciprocal EU country arrangements.

As far as i can make out, the "rights" under the withdrawal agreement apply because they apply to people who were EU resident in a territory under EU Freedom of movement. They are saying that these people have some accrued rights in the EU but as they're no longer nationals of a member country they're not fully protected by EU law. 

The EU has left the exercise of those rights up to member countries. 

I would guess that it's a possibility that the EU felt that that was as far as it was willing or able to push members on the matter. Why would they want to risk conflict with existing members over sovereignty to make things easier for the people that caused the problem? 

After that, it shouldn't be a surprise that the UK is one of the less bureaucratic territories. 

26 minutes ago, coprolite said:

As far as i can make out, the "rights" under the withdrawal agreement apply because they apply to people who were EU resident in a territory under EU Freedom of movement. They are saying that these people have some accrued rights in the EU but as they're no longer nationals of a member country they're not fully protected by EU law. 

The EU has left the exercise of those rights up to member countries. 

I would guess that it's a possibility that the EU felt that that was as far as it was willing or able to push members on the matter. Why would they want to risk conflict with existing members over sovereignty to make things easier for the people that caused the problem? 

After that, it shouldn't be a surprise that the UK is one of the less bureaucratic territories. 

The EU proposed an "associate citizenship" of the EU to UK citizens that wanted to keep their right to work and live in the EU.  To suggest that the EU was powerless in negotiating citizens rights is patently wrong.  Special status could have been legislated for at an EU level for UK residents in the EU had there been the will to do so.  Whilst it doesn't personally affect me just now, it does make it more difficult for my retirement plans and I can completely understand how we have reached this compromise.  The original poster was complaining about the UK requiring people to prove their right to remain under "settled status" which is exactly the same position as UK residents in the EU.

An even more radical version of "associate citizenship" for "those who feel and wish to be part of the European project but are nationals of a former Member State" was raised in the EU parliament that would have included allowing associate citizens to vote for an MEP.

46 minutes ago, TAFKAM said:

I remember a couple of individual political figures proposing it but did it ever actually make it to the negotiating table?

Guy Verhofstadt talked about it but it didn't get anywhere. It would have meant paying an individual lump sum into EU coffers every year to retain EU citizenship, which would be nice for those could afford it but puts a spin on the "free" in freedom of movement.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Guy Verhofstadt talked about it but it didn't get anywhere. It would have meant paying an individual lump sum into EU coffers every year to retain EU citizenship, which would be nice for those could afford it but puts a spin on the "free" in freedom of movement.

Michael Barnier talked about it as well so I guess it was at the negotiating table.  There was no mention of having to pay anything for this as far as I recollect.

34 minutes ago, strichener said:

Michael Barnier talked about it as well so I guess it was at the negotiating table.  There was no mention of having to pay anything for this as far as I recollect.

It wouldn't go down well if we got free EU benefits while Germans had to pay for the privilege out of their taxes.

57 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

It wouldn't go down well if we got free EU benefits while Germans had to pay for the privilege out of their taxes.

That's maybe true but some evidence would be better than your opinion. 

Edited by strichener

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

Nope and that article provides no evidence that there would be a charge, only speculation.

How much are NI citizens being charged?

Sorry, you'll have to find someone else for your 10 pages of semantic exchange today. Have a nice day!

7 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sorry, you'll have to find someone else for your 10 pages of semantic exchange today. Have a nice day!

Pretty sure “contrarian pish” is more accurate than “semantic exchange”.

20 hours ago, strichener said:

Nope and that article provides no evidence that there would be a charge, only speculation.

How much are NI citizens being charged?

Well we can't get British sausages anymore...

24 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I'd put a Kenneth Gif here but the paperwork is onerous. Have an inadequate local substitue. 

image.thumb.png.5733da4749d1fe8cb8fb10d063f5abef.png

Local sausages are far better than mass produced factory stuff, I don't know why anybody is getting in a strop about not getting Tesco/Asda own brand sausages.

(I realise there is more, come here, to this chilled meat fiasco than sausages.)

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Local sausages are far better than mass produced factory stuff, I don't know why anybody is getting in a strop about not getting Tesco/Asda own brand sausages.

(I realise there is more, come here, to this chilled meat fiasco than sausages.)

7BCEA25B-ABC1-440C-944E-4F965F013EB1.jpeg

Edited by Antlion

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Yes indeed - and there are all sorts of sausages: Link Sausage, Lorne Sausage, Square Sausage.  The list goes on. 

Somebody could even start a new thread about it all. 😊

5 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yes indeed - and there are all sorts of sausages: Link Sausage, Lorne Sausage, Square Sausage.  The list goes on. 

Somebody could even start a new thread about it all. 😊

Those are the same thing. I've never seen them on sale here.