Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

CETA has been mentioned a few times on this thread, and has been in the spotlight the last few days as well. It is currently looking perilously close to failure - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37731955 

A timely reminder of just how difficult trade deals can be, although particularly with the EU. Seven years of talks, and in the end the Belgian region of Waloonia has, at least for the time being, sunk it. Whether or not a compromise is met I don't know, but the EU doesn't look like it wants to implement changes. 

It's a major embarrassment for the EU, but is also ominous ahead of the UK attempting to negotiate a deal with the EU. 

CETA has been mentioned a few times on this thread, and has been in the spotlight the last few days as well. It is currently looking perilously close to failure - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37731955 

A timely reminder of just how difficult trade deals can be, although particularly with the EU. Seven years of talks, and in the end the Belgian region of Waloonia has, at least for the time being, sunk it. Whether or not a compromise is met I don't know, but the EU doesn't look like it wants to implement changes. 

It's a major embarrassment for the EU, but is also ominous ahead of the UK attempting to negotiate a deal with the EU. 

The world's largest trading block fucked over by the continental equivalent if Wales. That's democracy for you.

7 hours ago, strichener said:

Is Waloonia the newest European sovereign state and the latest member of the EU?

Belgium is the sovereign country, it has given wallonia (and other areas of Belgium) the power to block EU trade deals. Belgium couldn't have done that if it had limited sovereignty in the first place. 

I presume Wallonia is taking this line to get concessions from the EU?

Edited by sparky88

Belgium is the sovereign country, it has given wallonia (and other areas of Belgium) the power to block EU trade deals. Belgium couldn't have done that if it had limited sovereignty in the first place. 

I presume Wallonia is taking this line to get concessions from the EU?

Bit, but, but trade deals are good and the EU works in the best interests of every member. There is absolutely no circumstances where the EU get it wrong. [emoji6]

That sentence construction is a bit " Bennetesque " if you don't mind me saying?

At least the EU would appear to listen to small regions like Wallonia, their concerns will be accommodated in someway.

Unlike Auntie Theresa at Westminster whose government rides roughshod over local decisions such as fracking in Lancashire never mind Scotland.

Edited by WILLIEA

If the EU "had listened" to Wallonia, this wouldn't have happened. I doubt Wallonia even featured on their radar until now. In terms of the EU, Belgium's agreement cannot currently be granted. 

It's down to the EU now to see whether or not their concerns can be resolved, as the Canadians won't budge. 

Edited by Michael W

The Canadians are complaining that that they were assured the EU decision was supposed to be by qualified majority rather than unanimity. 

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/rob-commentary/eu-should-have-told-canada-years-ago-it-was-moving-the-ceta-goal-posts/article32463376/

10 hours ago, WILLIEA said:

That sentence construction is a bit " Bennetesque " if you don't mind me saying?

At least the EU would appear to listen to small regions like Wallonia, their concerns will be accommodated in someway.

Unlike Auntie Theresa at Westminster whose government rides roughshod over local decisions such as fracking in Lancashire never mind Scotland.

The EU listen.........Like it did to Greece !!!

The EU totally f*cked Greece over. Scotland is far less important than Greece and the EU would totally f*ck Scotland over before breakfast !

Edited by McSpreader

Ha ha ...Love it when I make a point that you can't argue against........Such intelligent input, Darling x

You "love it" when someone points out you're a fucking moron on a football message board?

You might as well wash the pills down with cheap voddie now m9.

Just now, jupe1407 said:

You "love it" when someone points out you're a fucking moron on a football message board?

You might as well wash the pills down with cheap voddie now m9.

I love it when you see yourself in my posts......now go away, you're boring me x