Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

So we are going into a further rounds of talks where will want to discuss trade issues only to be told yet again that this will only happen once there has been substantial progress on the NI border, rights of EU citizens in the UK and the divorce bill.

Deja vu anyone?

I'm not sure Labour switching tactics on Brexit would do them that much good. The out and out f**k Brexit parties haven't done too well recently. Corbyn did a fairly decent job of somehow sweeping up the Remain vote in June, despite being an extremely ambivalent remainer (if that even) himself. As Britain begins properly fucking itself up with Brexit, maybe the public will shift and want to call his bluff. For now, a come on now, down with this sort of thing approach seems to be his best bet.

I've seen bits of polling in recent months that points to buyers regret and other polls showing people want whoever the PM is to push on with it. I'd say "this is a fucking disaster but it would be a bit embarrassing to not do it now" is pretty much the popular position.

half of Texas is flooded. Pandora's box continues vomiting its charms in the Middle East have been opened by Bush and Blair fifteen years ago. Russia illegally occupies large parts of a neighbouring sovereign nation.North Korea is threatening the world with viable nuclear missiles (the engines for which seem to have been smuggled from one of the unregulated arms bazaars in Russian-occupied Ukraine). An EU state (Hungary) has surrounded itself with barbed wire whilst black-shirted paramilitaries hunt Roma in the countryside. Another EU state (Greece) is a permanent debt cripple whilst Croatia is a couple of bad weeks away from a total economic collapse. Meanwhole the increasing robotisation /mechanisation of work will see mass job losses amongts the unskilled in the next decade or so and these folk will have very little means of support.

but, the key issues clearly facing the UK as a nation are the return of a blue passport cover and ensuring Brussels keepings its interfering snout out of the production of Cumberland sausage (we're OK with minimum wage-busting Baltic Russians housed in a leaking caravan by a gangmaster making the sausages, though).

What an absolute joke the "UK" is. Obsessed with nineteenth century concepts in the most volatile and unpredictable century in the world's history, when politicans should be working together to solve common problems facing folk the world over.

2 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

social embarrassment is hardly a strong reason to press on grimly with a disastrous position based on lies and xenophobia, tbh

still no one has a clue- from the government down- how this will play out.

You're right but sadly so is Topcat.  I hope that this is one occasion where common sense prevails and people realise just how big a challenge we are facing.

Maybe that's naively optimistic of me, in the same way that I'm optimistic that Labour's change in position offers a path of escape.  

Maybe my optimism is being driven by the fact that I'm just a bit scared of the alternative.

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

social embarrassment is hardly a strong reason to press on grimly with a disastrous position based on lies and xenophobia, tbh

still no one has a clue- from the government down- how this will play out.

Well obviously, 'pressing on' isn't what I want to happen. I'd happily see Brexit get in the bin.

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

half of Texas is flooded. Pandora's box continues vomiting its charms in the Middle East have been opened by Bush and Blair fifteen years ago. Russia illegally occupies large parts of a neighbouring sovereign nation.North Korea is threatening the world with viable nuclear missiles (the engines for which seem to have been smuggled from one of the unregulated arms bazaars in Russian-occupied Ukraine). An EU state (Hungary) has surrounded itself with barbed wire whilst black-shirted paramilitaries hunt Roma in the countryside. Another EU state (Greece) is a permanent debt cripple whilst Croatia is a couple of bad weeks away from a total economic collapse. Meanwhole the increasing robotisation /mechanisation of work will see mass job losses amongts the unskilled in the next decade or so and these folk will have very little means of support.

but, the key issues clearly facing the UK as a nation are the return of a blue passport cover and ensuring Brussels keepings its interfering snout out of the production of Cumberland sausage (we're OK with minimum wage-busting Baltic Russians housed in a leaking caravan by a gangmaster making the sausages, though).

What an absolute joke the "UK" is. Obsessed with nineteenth century concepts in the most volatile and unpredictable century in the world's history, when politicans should be working together to solve common problems facing folk the world over.

This is an excellent take on things.

I'd bemoaning the fact it's more proof that Corbyn is just like everyother Politician.  Proof once again he change his stance with the wind.  Trident, House of Lords now the EU/Single Market.  Is there anything he really believes in that he will stick to, accept you know SNPBad?  

Edited by Antiochas III

22 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

So we are going into a further rounds of talks where will want to discuss trade issues only to be told yet again that this will only happen once there has been substantial progress on the NI border, rights of EU citizens in the UK and the divorce bill.

Deja vu anyone?

Naah..... But we've heard it all before.

In the wake of Michel Barnier's comments we now have Jean-Claude Juncker criticising the UK 'position papers' and simply restating the EU position that has not shifted one iota. This was apparently followed by the spokesperson for No 10 saying that Britain is in a "good position" in the talks.

Whichever side you take on this I'm pretty convinced that if this is developing into a game of chicken then the EU will be the winners.