Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

7 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

It must be illegal to mention wages in an article about agricultural labour.

Set wages and conditions to a level that is acceptable to local people and you will have a workforce.

4 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

This might be good news in the event of a second referendum or further election.

Personally I think it’s completely wrong that ex-pats who live abroad full time should have the right to vote; different if it’s part of the year.

However if they’ve retained British nationality they do have that right and will definitely vote in their own interests if there’s another referendum or a GE.

They were denied a vote in the brexit ref. and probably would be again.

I agree that if you leave the country, you should lose your vote. Trouble is, it used to be mostly Tory voters who became ex-pats and that's why the rules are as they are.

10 minutes ago, Detournement said:

Set wages and conditions to a level that is acceptable to local people and you will have a workforce.

And have the price of that passed on to the consumer? I don't really fancy paying £5 for a box of strawberries. Cheap migrant labour keeps that type of agriculture in this country functioning. Without it, it will cease to be and won't that be a great victory for the economically challenged?

Edited by cmontheloknow

One of the things I have found both hilarious and depressing in almost equal measure is the comments section on the BBC website any time there is a new Brexit story.  I must be very fortunate because I have not encountered any of these raving fruitcakes IRL.

“I voted Leave because I wanted us to leave jurisdiction of the ECJ at the earliest possible time”.  What a fucking life!

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

And have the price of that passed on to the consumer? I don't really fancy paying £5 for a box of strawberries. Cheap migrant labour keeps that type of agriculture in this country functioning. Without it, it will cease to be and won't that be a great victory for the economically challenged?

Maybe we should just introduce slavery.  That would keep the costs down further.

17 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If anyone has any doubts about the nature of the EU they only need to watch the news reports coming out of Greece tonight.

The Greek fire service has had it's budget cut every year for 8 years due to EU imposed austerity. People are burning to death because bankers' profits are more important than people.

The UK government has cut funding for the fire service by 15% since 2010.  Fire deaths in the UK have increased by 15% since 2010, not including Grenfell.

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

What percentage of the cost of a box of strawberries goes to a farm labourer? I doubt it's more than 15%.

You seem a bit economically challenged yourself.

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

The UK government has cut funding for the fire service by 15% since 2010.  Fire deaths in the UK have increased by 15% since 2010, not including Grenfell.

I agree but the situation is worse in Greece as it has been imposed by the Troika.

I'll link to a BMJ study on the effects of austerity in Greece later. It's criminal.

Bang up the wages, prices go up, demand reduces, imports become comparatively cheaper, demand reduces. It’s not as simple as saying do this and this happens. Also local people don’t want these jobs for a number of reasons - I’ll try and find an article for you. Basically these jobs tend to be in places with high employment anyway, and your average Geordie for example isn’t going to up sticks to Cornwall or wherever for 6 months just because the hourly rate goes up a bit.

ETA: https://m.thegrocer.co.uk/554452.article?mobilesite=enabled

22 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Maybe we should just introduce slavery.  That would keep the costs down further.

8 minutes ago, Detournement said:

If seasonal work is really a vital part of the economy it should be integrated with the benefits system.

Is it just me or are these two posts essentially saying the same thing?

4 minutes ago, The OP said:

Is it just me or are these two posts essentially saying the same thing?

No.

I'm not talking about forcing people on benefits to pick fruit.

I mean that people should be able to take seasonal jobs without waiting six weeks for their benefits to start again after the job ends.

Edited by Detournement

All of the economic, legal, fiscal, political aspects of life are what we elect representatives to deal with. Asking an ordinary Joe, like me, to decide how things should be done is crazy. Knowledge and expertise built up over decades is a must.

46 minutes ago, Detournement said:

As I understand it, (and I could be wrong, ) it is an aim of the EU to eventually eradicate the kind of disparity which causes people to seek work outwith their own country. Harmonisation, if you will. 

Edited by cyderspaceman

Tariffs sort that out.

I can’t disagree. But we’ll still be paying more for everything, and we’re creating inefficiencies in resource allocation that don’t need to exist. And 40% pay rises still wouldn’t get British folk to do these jobs. Did you read the article?

8 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

H_B calling someone else "economically challenged". Fucking hell emoji38.png

I think his persona is fragmenting. Supporting Corbyn, Trump, Brexit, tariffs and Varoufakis all at the same time is taking a strain.