Brexit slowly becoming a Farce.

John Lambies Doos

20 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Are you including Scottish politicians in that sentence?

Some SNP politicians are honourable exceptions, but otherwise Remainers only message was gloom and doom if we left, nothing about all the national, Europe wide and global benefits of being part of a strong EU.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Some SNP politicians are honourable exceptions, but otherwise Remainers only message was gloom and doom if we left, nothing about all the national, Europe wide and global benefits of being part of a strong EU.

They made the mistake of looking at the Scottish referendum and thinking that sheer negativity would win the day. The one thing they forgot to add to their campaign was mind numbing slogans on an endless loop. Something the leave brigade took full advantage of.

There’s a good quote in the book I’m reading where someone in Hartlepool says “we’ve got nothing. If you’ve got nothing, you can’t be scared by politicians telling you about what you’ve got to lose. We’ve been in recession for the last thirty years. We know what it’s like if we stayed - it’s terrible.”

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I'd say Blair was far more responsible by instantly offering full free movement to the Eastern accession countries when there was no need. Other members like France and Germany put a 3 year delay on it. We had around a million new arrivals in the first year, which established contacts for later migrants even when the rest of Europe opened up.

P.S. Got my numbers wrong. It was more like 100,000 in the first year compared to an expected 12,000, 1.4 million in total by 2015. Germany delayed  full freedom of movement to those new members for 7 years, not 3.

Whoops. :whistle

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thanks.

I think we might find tonight - Question Time, BBC1 - one honourable politician  will be arguing very strenuously, the case for Scotland having its own (devolved) immigration policy.

I hope his message comes over loud and clear.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
2 hours ago, Detournement said:
What makes you say that? They were/are both strongly pro EU and Major took years of flack from his backbenchers over it.

Because they are Torys

They have Tories in Germany, Holland, France and Belgium as well and they aren't leaving the EU any time soon.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Are you including Scottish politicians in that sentence?

Perhaps worth bearing in mind that the SNP didn't advocate using the Euro post-independence during the Referendum. They have been Euroskeptic for around 20 years or so now and at least some people were happy to vote Yes because they thought it meant leaving the EU.

31 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Thanks.

I think we might find tonight - Question Time, BBC1 - one honourable politician  will be arguing very strenuously, the case for Scotland having its own (devolved) immigration policy.

I hope his message comes over loud and clear.

He's going to have to explain how you let someone work in Dumfries but not Carlisle.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I’m not talking about their views on the EU. I’m talking about the governments they served under or led that helped to cause widespread impoverishment and alienation that left people with no belief in the status quo that Remain campaigned on.

Beyond being general Tory arseholes I think they are many magnitudes behind Cameron and Blair in terms of blame. Cameron for austerity and being a coward and not taking on his backbenchers (which Major did). Blair for the A4 situation.

Clegg can take his share as well for being a quisling twat.

6 minutes ago, Detournement said:

That's an irrelevant comparison.

What's to stop people being employed in Scotland then travelling to England to do their actual work?

They're going to have to give an NI number. It wouldn't be hard to make it geographically limited. Canada has run programmes for decades that restrict regions where immigrants can work.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

They're going to have to give an NI number and address. It wouldn't be hard to make it geographically limited. Canada has run programmes for decades that restrict regions where immigrants can work.

You don't have to give a NI or and address to work in England if you are employed in Scotland. There are English guys in my work repairing the roof from a company based in Leeds, they just turn up and work.

Canada isn't the UK where you can travel anywhere by minibus within 12 hours.

3 minutes ago, Detournement said:

You don't have to give a NI or and address to work in England if you are employed in Scotland. There are English guys in my work repairing the roof from a company based in Leeds, they just turn up and work.

Canada isn't the UK where you can travel anywhere by minibus within 12 hours.

Short term contractors work globally with little trouble. If more firms base themselves in Scotland to get around English xenophobia, all to the good.