EFL Cup 16-17

7-2

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 75 minutes we were the better side and should have been at least 2-0 up but the old failing of not taking our chances came back to haunt us as usual.

Bad defending cost us the 1st goal as no one went to close their right back down, as a defender your taught dont let them get a cross in and taylor was no where near closing the full back down.

Ayling was wrong side of Origi and had Cooper been there he might have cleared with his left foot but on these things games are won and lost.

Still plenty positives to take out of the game and if we can take our chances then one team is going to get a beating.

Roll on Saturday evening.

You should have known that, surely? Arsenal pretty much always play the kids and reserves. I went to see them okay Wigan in the League Cup semi final in their last season at Highbury (I was determined to go there before it closed) and when buying my tickets online it said that "Arsene Wenger often uses this tournament to play some of the future Arsenal stars currently in the youth team and players returning from injury - bear in mind you may not see your favourite players" or something to that effect. As it was, an injury crisis meant that he had to play the majority of the first team (the team that night according to the BBC was: Almunia, Gilbert, Senderos, Campbell, Lauren, Hleb (Pires 69), Silva, Diaby (Flamini 45), Reyes, Bergkamp, Henry (Van Persie 79). Subs Not Used: Poom, Djourou) but a Jason Roberts goal in extra time sent Wigan through on the away goals rule.

19 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Didn't see the game but you can be offside in your own half now... the offence is deemed to be committed when you motion towards the ball (or touch it) not when the ball is kicked. Though your position when the ball is kicked decides whether or not you are offside.

(I may not have explained this very well!)

You've got it all wrong. A free kick can be awarded in your own half for offside, as they can award it where the offside player first touches the ball. You cannot be offside whilst in your own half though.

Decent first half at Old Trafford. Man United should've been out of sight but just like the league they can't put the ball away. De Gea f**k up led to equaliser. Adrian should have been off at United's goal. Interesting 2nd half ahead.

• 1 month later...

It's not been great. One sided as f**k. Commentator said that Hull's performance had "character". Which must be what it's called when the opposition has had 13 shots against you, and really should be very comfortably winning. A couple of really bad misses in there as well.

Semi for this should be a one off game at a neutral ground imo.

Agreed. I miss the days of two FA Cup Semi-Finals on the same day, can never happen now as they have to be at Wembley but used to be one of the best football days in the calendar, even though Villa were only ever involved as hosts.

Archived