Berwick Rangers V Clyde

Why has the league gone? If we play like that every week no one will beat us.Unfortunately MacDonald has gone off the boil but he'll be back.Perry has given us some stability at the back and the goal we lost yesterday was a bit of a fluke.We'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

No the league hasn't gone but as I said weeks ago losing Easton put huge dent in our title challenge , but was told matt Flynn was a very good replacement, that Easton stifled his play and that he would suddenly start scoring goals in subsequent 3 games he has been subbed twice and not scored, first four league games we score 11 goals Easton gets injured following three games we score three . Glad to see Perry has started well looks like a good signing

Ps we drew yesterday so if we play like that we won't lose any games but we only pick up 29 more points:)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was actually said is that whilst Easton was a good player, the guys left are still good enough to challenge. And that has been proven in the three games since, even if we've only won once. A deserved penalty against Forfar, a fortunate deflection yesterday and we're the team with momentum. Remember, even with Easton in the team we got a wee bit of luck against Cowden/Arbroath and also lost a game against Annan that we should have won. We're clearly a much better attacking team than last season when we didn't keep many clean sheets either.

On Flynn, it would help if he was played in his best position. He was excellent at Elgin playing there but shunted out wide to accommodate Gormley against Forfar. Yesterday he played a strange left sided attacking role with Higgins also dropping deep but he came as close as anyone to getting the second. 

What was actually said is that whilst Easton was a good player, the guys left are still good enough to challenge. And that has been proven in the three games since, even if we've only won once. A deserved penalty against Forfar, a fortunate deflection yesterday and we're the team with momentum. Remember, even with Easton in the team we got a wee bit of luck against Cowden/Arbroath and also lost a game against Annan that we should have won. We're clearly a much better attacking team than last season when we didn't keep many clean sheets either.

On Flynn, it would help if he was played in his best position. He was excellent at Elgin playing there but shunted out wide to accommodate Gormley against Forfar. Yesterday he played a strange left sided attacking role with Higgins also dropping deep but he came as close as anyone to getting the second. 

Tell you what David go back and read the Clyde V arbroath thread we bit of revisionism

Well we will begin to differ but if Easton had played in the last to games I would put my wages on we would have won both

Nothing against the guy but flynn seems the golden child firstly Easton stifled his play now the manager doesn't play him in the correct position but let's all battery Phil Johnston who in my opinion has played as well if not better than Flynn

Hope your right and we have the players to challenge for the league but they have to step up to the plate now

Easton isn't just a good player he is the best player we have had in God knows how many years and for you to say the wins against Arbroath and Cowdenbeath were lucky with Easton in the team just underlines the supporters who didn't appreciate the impact he made on the team , which for the life of me I can't understand

Yeah we have to move on as we don't have him know

Of course losing a player of Easton's ability is a blow, but which other teams at this level have an equivalent?

So I don't see why it should be the difference between being able to win the league or not.  If the defence appears to have tightened up and continues to do so, that'll be a big factor in our chances.  If Peaso & Higgins manage to stay fit for most of the season, they've shown they can get goals though I still think we could use a third option - maybe something for January

What's the latest thinking on when Scott Ferguson is likely to be fully fit, a month, two months?  If he gets back to his best he'll add a lot in midfield. He must be some way down the road to recovery if he's on the bench at least.

Of course losing a player of Easton's ability is a blow, but which other teams at this level have an equivalent?

So I don't see why it should be the difference between being able to win the league or not.  If the defence appears to have tightened up and continues to do so, that'll be a big factor in our chances.  If Peaso & Higgins manage to stay fit for most of the season, they've shown they can get goals though I still think we could use a third option - maybe something for January

What's the latest thinking on when Scott Ferguson is likely to be fully fit, a month, two months?  If he gets back to his best he'll add a lot in midfield. He must be some way down the road to recovery if he's on the bench at least.

Never said we couldn't win the league without Easton

I simply said he could be the difference between being in the play offs or wining the league , but clearer you don't think so all about opinions

6 hours ago, Harry Haddock said:

Why has the league gone? If we play like that every week no one will beat us.Unfortunately MacDonald has gone off the boil but he'll be back.Perry has given us some stability at the back and the goal we lost yesterday was a bit of a fluke.We'll be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.

I think he was talking about his own team, not the one that plays where he lives.

4 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

I think he was talking about his own team, not the one that plays where he lives.

Correct. Really just posted as bait for the group of Clyde supporters that can't suffer the sight of a P&B post foretelling anything but unqualified glory.

Really just posted as bait for the group of Clyde supporters that can't suffer the sight of a P&B post foretelling anything but unqualified glory.

A post of absolute genius

Edinburgh fringe next year ?

1 hour ago, David W said:

What was actually said is that whilst Easton was a good player, the guys left are still good enough to challenge. And that has been proven in the three games since, even if we've only won once...

The word 'challenge' is a euphemism, guardedly deployed by managers who want to lower expectations and avoid any accountability. Stick your neck out Davie, your among enemies friends here: is it likely that the team we have at the moment win the league? You know it isn't.

Aside those elevating hope to judgement, the general view among supporters seems to be the same. It looks very likely to be Forfar's league. We'd do well to keep in those play-offs spots, out of which we could well fall in a fortnight's time; Edinburgh City will be ganting for their hole off of us, mind. Am I confident we can hold a play-off spot? Only if we add players in January. And maybe, just maybe, with the right additions then we could trouble Forfar in the top spot.

You'll have to notice that counterfactuals feature heavily in what you write. For instance, you draw the conclusion that we're still fit to "challenge" minus Easton and offer as evidence the results of our last three matches, as poor a run of form as we've yet had in the league. You add that, had things went a little differently then, we'd still be the team with momentum. Well, I'm with you to the extent that the stuff which statistics don't capture isn't just irrelevant. But, I'm also minded to say that league winning teams just keep winning games. Rationalising poor form takes up hardly any of their time; ifs, buts and maybes don't exercise them.

In the spirit of humbleness, I'll say this. I've been somewhat surprised by the quality of the teams we've faced. I'd expected better. And I've been surprised by how plucky we are; some of our players look much fitter than they were last season and, consequently, we've been able to fight out some good wins. Likewise, I recently suggested - albeit with the note that it'd be a big loss - that Scott Linton ought to play left back on account of us having nobody better for that position. I think if I'd been listened to, we'd have done less well than we actually have in midfield. Especially against Forfar. And Berwick yesterday, albeit to a lesser extent. I'd really rather McNeil be on that side, given how well he done against Forfar and given what he'll offer coming inside on his good foot.

But in a spirit of vindictiveness now...! I did say that starting with Forfar at Broadwood and ending with Arbroath at Gayfield, we'd drop a good lot of points. That's on its way to being true. And I did say that the Easton injury would kick off a period in which we found it much more difficult to score. That's manifestly true. Hardly sage predictions, I grant you. But to hear others talk, you'd have thought that Easton's loss could be made to seem peripheral. It can't. Not without bringing players in.

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

A post of absolute genius

Edinburgh fringe next year ?

Please...! You don't use a trawler to catch minnows.

I'm so pleased that when you quoted me above, the image of 'Mr Rangers' himself was produced.

Meanwhile, back at Berwick, I thought we were fairly crap again yesterday.  Clyde were able to hold on to possession using the cunning method of movement off the ball and accurate passing. We were unable to do either. 

Curiously though, despite having less control and looking a bit of a shambles, we keep accumulating points bit by bit largely due to working hard and getting in some last minute tackles. 

I thought there were signs that Thompson could become the midfield playmaker that Allan Walker never was, but we need much more from Lavery, Hurst, the full backs and mad Mckenna. 

Hope Brian Martin is enjoying the Ryder Cup.

I've seen most of our opening 8 league games and we've been average, poor to diabolical in most - certainly the last several (missed Montrose).

Despite this we're sat 4th, with a positive GD, and only 2pts off 2nd.

As such I'm beginning to wonder if in fact most of the division is average, poor to diabolical this season - and I should be reappraising my expectations regarding the standard.

Meanwhile, back at Berwick, I thought we were fairly crap again yesterday.  Clyde were able to hold on to possession using the cunning method of movement off the ball and accurate passing. We were unable to do either. 

Curiously though, despite having less control and looking a bit of a shambles, we keep accumulating points bit by bit largely due to working hard and getting in some last minute tackles. 

I thought there were signs that Thompson could become the midfield playmaker that Allan Walker never was, but we need much more from Lavery, Hurst, the full backs and mad Mckenna. 

Hope Brian Martin is enjoying the Ryder Cup.

Thigh strain. Looks a sore one.

IMG_1475418027.502072.jpg.41642b524b7296

Firstly, some finish by Thomson. I thought he'd went over the keeper from the talk online but to find that gap is unreal.

Secondly, how does McKenna not take getting dragged away by a teammate as a hint to shut up. If he'd said whatever he said under his breath it would've been fine. Tit.

The word 'challenge' is a euphemism, guardedly deployed by managers who want to lower expectations and avoid any accountability. Stick your neck out Davie, your among enemies friends here: is it likely that the team we have at the moment win the league? You know it isn't.

Aside those elevating hope to judgement, the general view among supporters seems to be the same. It looks very likely to be Forfar's league. We'd do well to keep in those play-offs spots, out of which we could well fall in a fortnight's time; Edinburgh City will be ganting for their hole off of us, mind. Am I confident we can hold a play-off spot? Only if we add players in January. And maybe, just maybe, with the right additions then we could trouble Forfar in the top spot.

Forfar have a big advantage at this point and looked solid, but unspectacular, against us. The quality of the other sides does not look great so I think we are still in a position to be optimistic with our current squad. Linton, as you suggest, is far too good a player to have stuck at left back. We need him in his current position and he has become even more pivotal after the loss of Easton.

I was hoping Edinburgh would have gotten their first win before playing us. Despite this being a game we really must win, the script seems almost written. Fingers crossed I am wrong as 3 points would make it a very decent first quarter, especially if Forfar slip up again.

10 hours ago, Sao Paulo said:

You'll have to notice that counterfactuals feature heavily in what you write. For instance, you draw the conclusion that we're still fit to "challenge" minus Easton and offer as evidence the results of our last three matches, as poor a run of form as we've yet had in the league. You add that, had things went a little differently then, we'd still be the team with momentum. Well, I'm with you to the extent that the stuff which statistics don't capture isn't just irrelevant. But, I'm also minded to say that league winning teams just keep winning games. Rationalising poor form takes up hardly any of their time; ifs, buts and maybes don't exercise them.

In the spirit of humbleness, I'll say this. I've been somewhat surprised by the quality of the teams we've faced. I'd expected better. And I've been surprised by how plucky we are; some of our players look much fitter than they were last season and, consequently, we've been able to fight out some good wins. Likewise, I recently suggested - albeit with the note that it'd be a big loss - that Scott Linton ought to play left back on account of us having nobody better for that position. I think if I'd been listened to, we'd have done less well than we actually have in midfield. Especially against Forfar. And Berwick yesterday, albeit to a lesser extent. I'd really rather McNeil be on that side, given how well he done against Forfar and given what he'll offer coming inside on his good foot.

But in a spirit of vindictiveness now...! I did say that starting with Forfar at Broadwood and ending with Arbroath at Gayfield, we'd drop a good lot of points. That's on its way to being true. And I did say that the Easton injury would kick off a period in which we found it much more difficult to score. That's manifestly true. Hardly sage predictions, I grant you. But to hear others talk, you'd have thought that Easton's loss could be made to seem peripheral. It can't. Not without bringing players in.

We've seen 8 teams in the league and with or without Easton I think we're as good as the best of them. It's a real shame that he got injured, as the back four we saw yesterday, protected by Linton and McLaughlin, isn't going to concede more than a goal a game too many times, and having that extra bit of quality would have made a number of victories a lot easier.

We've found it hard to score against Forfar and Berwick but that's probably not a surprise. Forfar set up to keep their points advantage (and snuck a win), whilst I'd be surprised if Berwick don't end up with the best defensive record over the season. 

Interesting fact; the only title winners since we came into the division to take more than 17 points (our tally if we beat Edinburgh) are the new team. It would also actually be our best quarter since dropping into this division, bar the mental pre-Christmas run in 13/14. Emphasises again what an important game it is. I'm hopeful of Forfar dropping points against Arbroath, whilst I don't think they'll be anywhere near as good in the next quarter.

However, I'd absolutely agree that to have any chance of winning the league we'll need to strengthen at some point; there's no way the current squad size will hold up, even if Fergie/McGovern end up fit. A shame we don't have a few quid tucked away. But we also don't know how injuries will play out for the other sides in the league. A lot, as always, will come down to luck.

I'm sure we'll all agree that the fact we're having this debate is a positive and a huge contrast to a couple of years ago.

Archived