What you get from the chippy.

Romeo

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Battered pizza is the worst of the lot, why ruin a perfectly good pizza? Very, very strange.

Do they still use the crappy smart price ones with one strand of cheese per square inch or are they the made in the shop ones ?

If it's the latter then that's a waste, first an improvement.

The Silvery Tay in Newport is quality. Although I've yet to find a decent chippy near me in Edinburgh (Newington), there's kebab shops everywhere but no proper chippys' barring the codfather which is manky. Suggestions welcome.

Also, the general rule of thumb for me is that the smaller the area that the chippy is in the better. I.e. a chippy in a wee village is always decent cos if it was bad it would close down because it's customer base is so small

Going to Stonehaven on Saturday, question is do I go to The Bay Chippy there or stop at the Bervie on the way back?

Neither, go to the one down in Gourdon instead. Was Hornblowers until recently but they're moving it up to Aberdeen (beach I think) with some new crowd taking over the old one, now with a different name that escapes me. Still damn good.

Eta: just noticed I'm not the first to suggest this, and the new name is the Quayside.

Why are chips from the Chinese good, but chips from kebab shops are usually rubbish?

Never, ever seen the appeal in [puts political correctness hat on] Chinese Chips. A place around the corner from my old flat used to sell them and you got an American grocery sized brown paper bag filled to the top for £1.50, probably your wet dream. That said, it was a god awful Chinese, the type with the barred up windows that you're not sure is derelict or not.

Edinburgh - all CHIPPIES up toon are shite.

East end - Giovannis at Northfield is Superb.

West side - the old Bar-b-q on glasgow road.

Half pizza supper. Salt and Sauce is vastly superior to vinegar you bunch of fannies.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Why are chips from the Chinese good, but chips from kebab shops are usually rubbish?

This is true. I recon it must be that the fry them with the other food giving them that extra bit of taste.

19 hours ago, Marsh said:

The old village chippy is magic and Adios at St James Retail Park is decent as well.

ETA - Black Pudding supper, dry roll, can of bru.  Lashings of ketchup for the BP.

I'll have to check them out. Victors is only good when pished after Huddys and ive yet to have a good one in Glasgow city centre aswell

The Dolphin on North Junction Street in Leith is the best I have come across in my travels.

Freshly made to order as well.

Usually have a burger supper but have been known to have a fish supper and also sausage supper, not all at the same time I may add.

Is there not some rather worrying story with this chip shop?

23 hours ago, DAFC. said:

Don't entertain chippies in the West coast as they are rancid. 

22 hours ago, ShinobiDandy said:

all EK and Glasgow can get tae f**k. Over greasy, soggy shite

22 hours ago, throbber said:

Glasgow chip shops are far better than those in the capital.

20 hours ago, endieinreekie said:

Blows any chipper in Glasgow or Edinburgh out of the water.

For the purposes of these threads, can we just take it as read that the chip shops closest to the rock each poster first crawled out from under are the best in the world, and that chip shops elsewhere are rubbish in comparison?

Unless you're all actually much fatter than I imagine (which is already porcine), I very much doubt you've taken the time to extensively try each and every establishment in any given area. Can we just embargo the pointless "chippies in x area are shit" chat?

Tail end is the best chippy in Fife, much better than Anstruther.  

Chicken goujons supper and Piri piri Mayo from there, anyway else king rib supper and hamburger single. It's very rare I have a chippy outside of the tailend though. 

For the purposes of these threads, can we just take it as read that the chip shops closest to the rock each poster first crawled out from under are the best in the world, and that chip shops elsewhere are rubbish in comparison?

Unless you're all actually much fatter than I imagine (which is already porcine), I very much doubt you've taken the time to extensively try each and every establishment in any given area. Can we just embargo the pointless "chippies in x area are shit" chat?

[emoji38]

Archived