2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a new baby coming in May we are pretty limited to the start of the year, so we are just going to fly over to my Uncles Villa in Spain for a couple of weeks.

Need to rent one of those people carriers due to the amount of white she'll no doubt be wanting to take.

Anyone rented in Alicante airport before that could recommend someone? I'll probably just end up with Sixt or Hertz charging me a fortune.

Been trying to book an apartment in Cordoba for October. Best one was on a German site called Wimdu, a bit like AirBNB, who ask for the cash up front which is unusual. The owner then replied, name Apartmento, saying it was no longer available and offered another instead, more expensive and with terrible reviews. Just a heads up, I'll probably get the cash back, but it sounds like some people in a Berlin squat running it. Good news is I got really cheap flights from Inverness via Gatwick to Seville so have plenty time to find somewhere decent to stay.

Going to Centre Parcs in May (Whinfell Forest) and want to go abroad September/October time but husband doesn't think taking child abroad will be fun.

I took mine abroad when she was one, she was as good as gold, and if she does kick off, people are more understanding than you'd expect them to be.

On 15/01/2017 at 17:56, welshbairn said:

Been trying to book an apartment in Cordoba for October. Best one was on a German site called Wimdu, a bit like AirBNB, who ask for the cash up front which is unusual. The owner then replied, name Apartmento, saying it was no longer available and offered another instead, more expensive and with terrible reviews. Just a heads up, I'll probably get the cash back, but it sounds like some people in a Berlin squat running it. Good news is I got really cheap flights from Inverness via Gatwick to Seville so have plenty time to find somewhere decent to stay.

Cash back, got a cracking looking apartment in Seville instead through Tripadvisor. 

Mrs Romeo and I have just booked to go to Las Vegas for 4 days in September, Staying at the Bellagio :thumsup2. will then pick up car and drive to San Fransisco for the rest of the 2 weeks.

Hopefully when in Vegas will plan excursions to the Hoover Dam (Anyone been?) and The Grand canyon.

Any other suggestions that don't involve getting hookers back to the hotel room or blowing all my cash at the tables?

44 minutes ago, Romeo said:

Mrs Romeo and I have just booked to go to Las Vegas for 4 days in September, Staying at the Bellagio :thumsup2. will then pick up car and drive to San Fransisco for the rest of the 2 weeks.

Hopefully when in Vegas will plan excursions to the Hoover Dam (Anyone been?) and The Grand canyon.

Any other suggestions that don't involve getting hookers back to the hotel room or blowing all my cash at the tables?

I would recommend just flying from LAS-SFO.   The drive is boring AF and will take 10 hrs on the Interstate, plus won't you be lumped with a drop fee since you're taking a motor one-way?  You can take a bit longer if you go along to SoCal and take the 101 up the coast.  At least that would be more scenic.  Flights on Southwest would be pretty cheap, especially this far in advance and only about $50 each one-way.  You could even fly into Oakland (instead of San Francisco) if it was any cheaper.  The train system in the Bay Area (BART) is fantastic, eliminating the need for a motor.

Grand Canyon would be my pick of the two.   

Start playing the "MyVegas" app on various platforms (PC and Droid/iOS) to collect Loyalty Points for shows, meals, etc.  PM me for more info if you'd like.

Beatles Love was the best Cirque show I've seen so far.  Mystere was decent too but I thought Ka was pish.
Check your dates for DJs / artists / performers when you are in town.  Plenty of singers set up residencies at various venues, meaning they are in town for weeks at a time.

Restaurant.com, Groupon, TravelZoo, etc. all have offers for places to eat and things to do which will save you a few shekels in advance.   

3 hours ago, Romeo said:

Bin the Bellagio and stay on Fremont Street its proper Vegas and more sleazier...oh wait the mrs is going the Bellagio is fine however i do prefer the Aria.Hoover Dam fascinated me and for the Canyon we did the Fly/jet boat/helicopter option with the Barbecue lunch  but theres loads of options

As the poster above stated its a pretty boring drive but probably stop in La for a day to do the sights (thats enough) and go that way up the coast or you can go to death valley,Yosemite valley way but take a couple of days and basically just stop off where you want theres plenty of digs on the way that you can just book into on the spot

3 hours ago, Hipster Dufus said:

You can take a bit longer if you go along to SoCal and take the 101 up the coast.  

1 hour ago, doulikefish said:

As the poster above stated its a pretty boring drive but probably stop in La for a day to do the sights (thats enough) and go that way up the coast or you can go to death valley,Yosemite valley way but take a couple of days and basically just stop off where you want theres plenty of digs on the way that you can just book into on the spot

Yeah, we plan on staying over night somewhere and we are no going all the way up to San Fran initially, we are staying with my Brother and Sister in law in Aptos (about 80 miles south of SF it think?)

42 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Check out the Folsom St Fair in SF in September.

Already in the diary ;)

On 12/01/2017 at 19:14, underdogunderdog underdog said:

I'm currently in the process of looking for somewhere at start of July. Fed up with Thomsons so looking for recommendations of other sites that folk use for holidays.

I fancy either something all inclusive or somewhere that is fairly reasonably priced in Europe to get to and can maybe see a few places.

One possible option is Spain splitting time in Barcelona and somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Went to Mexico last year all inclusive and previous year went to Morocco where booked flights and hotel separate. Saved a fair bit of money doing that.

I've had some ridiculously cheap deals with Easyjet Holidays. Last one was £114 for 5 nights in Portugal, including flights from Gatwick and a beautiful apartment.

Doing the whole Disney thing in Orlando in October. Two weeks in the Saratoga Springs resort. The whole family are going, probably for the last time as none of us are getting any younger. I've never been before, but the rest of them have, so I will have little say on what we are doing. I will just go with the flow. Would like to go to Kennedy Space Centre, but I don't hold out much hope to be honest.

Hoping to visit my niece in New York for a few days before that as well.I don't think she will be there much longer, want to get there before she has to move on.

1 minute ago, underdogunderdog underdog said:

Nice one. I'll check that out. Was that in July?

No, sorry, missed that bit. End of July is going to be pricey everywhere I think. If you find something you like be sure to check out the hotel/apartment on other sites like Tripadvisor and Booking.com before finalising it.

No, sorry, missed that bit. End of July is going to be pricey everywhere I think. If you find something you like be sure to check out the hotel/apartment on other sites like Tripadvisor and Booking.com before finalising it.

Aye, we usually do that. Fed up with cost of package holidays and would prefer to get a bit of value for money.

Archived