2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

Aye, it's a skoosh. I've only driven on the wrong side of the road once and it was at 6am, a few days after I'd arrived, when there were no other cars that I could use for reference. Going round roundabouts takes a bit of getting used to but they're fairly thin on the ground. Compare that with every time I've been back in Scotland. Get in on the wrong side of the car all the time, constantly trying to drive on the right. It's a fucking nightmare.

The only exception is driving in New York and possibly Chicago. In New York, I tried for five blocks to get across three lanes and I just couldn't and ended up having to round in a square to come at it from a different angle. Plus a taxi indicating left, is just as likely to go right. Outside of that, though, it's great fun.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chicago to Niagara Falls by land is a long and fairly awkwardjourney. Windsor is about four or five hours drive from Chicago and the same to the Toronto area. The Niagara crossing itself would involve going through Ohio and upstate New York.

Thanks. Reading this and MSU's posts, it's more likely I'll just fly to Toronto & get the ETA sorted.

Part of the reason for favouring a land journey was to tick off a few states along the way, but I can manage Indiana, Michigan & maybe Wisconsin easily enough while using Chicago as the main base, and head to Niagara as a day trip from Toronto.

Starting the year with a trip to Mannheim for a couple of hockey games. Flying out 10/01 and home on 14/01, with games on the Wed and Fri.

Planning on staying in Mannheim during the days I have hockey. Will hopefully take a day trip to Heidelberg on the Thursday when I don't have any hockey at night.

Off to Thailand in Feb for 2 a half weeks. Can't wait, it will be (to my shame) the first time I've been outside Europe. Not looking forward to the long haul flights though, both around 13 hours I think.

Other than that I fancy Paris for my birthday in July and we are thinking of going to Berchtesgaden to go walking for a few days at the end of Sept then down to Munich for Oktoberfest.

It's the OH's 45th birthday in August so am thinking of a trip to Milan for him towards the end of the year - I know he'd like to see the San Siro again and visit the Alfa Romeo museum so going to try and sort that for him.

Enjoyed my first experience of staying in hostels earlier this year, so I'm currently drawing up my plans for next year. My annual leave this year falls at the end of May which wouldn't be my choice, but I want to make the most of it anyway.

The current route I'm looking at is:

Trieste - Ljubljana - Zagreb - Belgrade - Budapest.

Also have a stag weekend in Prague a month later.

On 12/20/2016 at 14:19, MSU said:

Only time I've been truly scared since moving here was driving through Flint. In a rental Chevy Colorado. With Connecticut plates.

I've never been to Flint but I work with a guy from MI and he said it's like the old west.

The most feart I've ever been is in Southwest Atlanta when I was there for a few days for a gig at the Lakewood Amphitheater. I genuinely didn't want to go outside. If Flint is worse than that I can't see me going for any reason.

14 hours ago, Cerberus said:

I've never been to Flint but I work with a guy from MI and he said it's like the old west.

The most feart I've ever been is in Southwest Atlanta when I was there for a few days for a gig at the Lakewood Amphitheater. I genuinely didn't want to go outside. If Flint is worse than that I can't see me going for any reason.

There are parts of Flint that are fine, like the University of Michigan has a campus there, but you literally cross a line at one point and it's all gun stores and titty bars and boarded up houses and gangs hanging about on corners. I'm not sure how much trouble we could possibly have gotten into, but my perception was that it could've turned nasty and I certainly wouldn't drive through it at night. In five years, I've had no cause to go back. If the situation ever presents itself and I find myself in LA, though, I can see me driving through Compton just to see what it's like. Again, I'd probably save that for daytime hours.

3 hours ago, MSU said:

There are parts of Flint that are fine, like the University of Michigan has a campus there, but you literally cross a line at one point and it's all gun stores and titty bars and boarded up houses and gangs hanging about on corners. I'm not sure how much trouble we could possibly have gotten into, but my perception was that it could've turned nasty and I certainly wouldn't drive through it at night. In five years, I've had no cause to go back. If the situation ever presents itself and I find myself in LA, though, I can see me driving through Compton just to see what it's like. Again, I'd probably save that for daytime hours.

My uncle was (actually maybe still is) a lecturer at MSU and I visited him about 10 years ago. We drove all round Michigan (he stayed in Lansing) but I thought that Flint seemed okay, certainly in comparison to Detroit, which scared the living shit out of me. LA is the only other place that I would put in the 'absolute toilet' category. As much as I love the States those two cities are absolute holes. 

Few nights in lovely North Wales, flying down tomorrow. Greek Islands in April, back to Wales for a festival in July. Might fit in a City break in between. Starting to think about the Autumn, maybe America. Depends how I do at the bookies.

On 24/10/2016 at 16:33, ICTChris said:

What's the best time of year to go to Iceland?  I really fancy it but not sure whether to go in summer or earlier.  Also, is it worth doing a fortnight or just a weekend?

Go to Reykjavik for a weekend in winter and use public transport. Don't even think about driving further in winter.

Go for longer in summer and hire a car. It's a surprisingly big country to cover especially at 80km/hr. Even if you just do the ring road and the Golden Circle you ideally want about 10 days.

Off to Houston for the Super Bowl, and driving to New Orleans for a couple of days too.

Other irons in the fire for later in the year: visiting my mate in Melbourne and maybe doing some travelling in Australia with him, and a stag weekend in Wroclaw.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

You got tickets for the Superbowl?

Nah, I did look but $4,5k was the cheapest I could find and the one's I'm out there with definitely wouldn't spend that. So instead my friends that live there are taking me and the others to some Super Bowl parties. If I was there myself I probably would have bought the ticket TBH. I might get some tickets for one in the next few years but I'm actually just looking forward to experiencing the day proper American-style and not at a ridiculous hour.

Haven't been to Detroit yet but I'd imagine it's like a bigger version of Buffalo, which is a hole, but I quite like it. You can actually buy beer in a regular shop at least!  

Since I soon won't be able to leave the country for a while I'm thinking a 'stay-cation', the missus would like to go to Vancouver, I'd rather check out the east coast, Newfoundland, PEI, Nova Scotia etc.

I'm currently in the process of looking for somewhere at start of July. Fed up with Thomsons so looking for recommendations of other sites that folk use for holidays.

I fancy either something all inclusive or somewhere that is fairly reasonably priced in Europe to get to and can maybe see a few places.

One possible option is Spain splitting time in Barcelona and somewhere else. Any suggestions?

Went to Mexico last year all inclusive and previous year went to Morocco where booked flights and hotel separate. Saved a fair bit of money doing that.

Archived