2017 Holiday/Travel Plans

Mitch

Me and the mrs have just booked Dominican Republic and staying in Punta Cana for two weeks in June. Going by the reviews, it's just luck depending on what the weather will be like for rain.

Anyone been to Punta Cana before?

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Moo said:

Me and the mrs have just booked Dominican Republic and staying in Punta Cana for two weeks in June. Going by the reviews, it's just luck depending on what the weather will be like for rain.

Anyone been to Punta Cana before?

It'll probably piss it down for at least two days out of your fourteen but the thunderstorms pass through quickly. It'll be hot and humid throughout your stay, I'd imagine.

Looks like my trip to Chicago in October could be extended to include a few days in Canada via Niagara Falls. Am I right in thinking you don't need an ETA to enter Canada by land?

Might fly back from Toronto; haven't worked out the logistics quite yet. First time into Canada but not enough time to do it justice this time round.

55 minutes ago, morrison said:

Looks like my trip to Chicago in October could be extended to include a few days in Canada via Niagara Falls. Am I right in thinking you don't need an ETA to enter Canada by land?

Might fly back from Toronto; haven't worked out the logistics quite yet. First time into Canada but not enough time to do it justice this time round.

Correct.

You only need an hour in Niagara, other than the falls the place is a complete shithole. Only an hours drive round Lake Ontario to Toronto, which is a great city.

TBH I was young at the time but I mind going into a restaurant in Niagara Falls with my family and their friends for lunch. The woman who took our orders that day never wrote them down, just went by her memory and actually done the same with another table straight after us.

Mind blown at the time when all our orders came out correctly.

TBH I was young at the time but I mind going into a restaurant in Niagara Falls with my family and their friends for lunch. The woman who took our orders that day never wrote them down, just went by her memory and actually done the same with another table straight after us.

Mind blown at the time when all our orders came out correctly.

They do that a lot of places in the States/Canada, always amazes me how they remember.

Well made the mistake of looking at the BA website today and of course they have a sale on, so it's Japan in September for me and the mrs. Two weeks flights and hotels (room only) for under £4K , when I was originally looking at going it was nearer £6k, so very happy.

5 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

You only need an hour in Niagara, other than the falls the place is a complete shithole. Only an hours drive round Lake Ontario to Toronto, which is a great city.

I've only ever been on the Canadian side of the falls, but this is absolutely true. Tacky as f**k.

Toronto is only a four or five hour drive from me and is definitely the place to fly out from. I remember last year, me and the missus won a pub quiz and got put in a prize draw where we ended up winning a week's holiday in Hawaii. After some investigation, it wasn't exactly a scam, but there were loads of hidden costs that meant about the only thing that was paid for was a horrible hotel and we would've been cheaper just organizing it ourselves. Anyway, one of thee costs was that we had to buy our own flights so I jumped on Google flights to check it out. Flying out of Detroit was around $900 going Detroit -> LA -> Honolulu. Flying out of Toronto was going to be $500. Huge difference, especially when I spotted that the route was Toronto -> Detroit -> LA -> Honolulu. EXACTLY the same flights, same times but $400 cheaper. Made me wonder if I could've just got on in Detroit.

Anyway, yes, Niagara is a hole and Toronto is ace.

Chicago to Niagara Falls by land is a long and fairly awkwardjourney. Windsor is about four or five hours drive from Chicago and the same to the Toronto area. The Niagara crossing itself would involve going through Ohio and upstate New York.

The quicker route to Niagara from Chicago is going through Michigan, past my hoose, crossing into Canada at Port Huron which is usually quieter than Detroit / Windsor and then it's a pretty straightforward 200 miles east to the Falls. Still looking at eight or nine hours, right enough.

1 hour ago, MSU said:

The quicker route to Niagara from Chicago is going through Michigan, past my hoose, crossing into Canada at Port Huron which is usually quieter than Detroit / Windsor and then it's a pretty straightforward 200 miles east to the Falls. Still looking at eight or nine hours, right enough.

Nice drive?

Just now, welshbairn said:

Nice drive?

There's not a huge amount to see, to be honest, and once you get outside Chicago, it's mostly interstate cutting through mid-west farmland, and pretty flat most of the way through. You hug the south end of Lake Michigan, which is pretty, and crossing the bridge into Canada is cool. It's also fun to compare the Canadian and American immigration experience. I love long drives like that so I maybe enjoyed it more than some would. I've done the Port Huron to Buffalo drive a couple of times, and it was fairly interesting because it was Canada and it was new to me. Admittedly though, the most exciting part of the trip came from trying to convert petrol prices from Canadian dollars into US and then from liters to gallons so I could work out how much to ask for.

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Take a gun if you're driving through Flint.

Only time I've been truly scared since moving here was driving through Flint. In a rental Chevy Colorado. With Connecticut plates.

2 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

Take a gun if you're driving through Flint.

I'll bring my own water too. Funny thing about the scandal about Hillary getting fed one of the questions in a Primary town hall debate in Flint. The question was about the lead poisoning in the water supply in Flint, the biggest disaster ever to hit the town, and it was supposed to be an advantage to know the question might come up?

7 minutes ago, MSU said:

Only time I've been truly scared since moving here was driving through Flint. In a rental Chevy Colorado. With Connecticut plates.

Did you get used to driving over there pretty quickly? Thinking of maybe doing a road trip next year but am slightly nervous of rumours of nobody using indicators on 8 lane highways and the like.

Archived