• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marshall 

Paterson  Martin Hanley Robertson

McArthur  Bannan

Snodgrass Burke  Ritchie 

Fletcher 

I actually reckon we'll win this. Slovakia will be doing their best to get a win and I think we'll carve them open on the break.

We need Fletcher to hold the ball up in this one, probably won't happen though.

It's difficult to pick a team when I don't know the opposition's strengths and weaknesses or their formation. He must have a fear of losing, both for the team and himself. Therefore I would be more than surprised if he doesn't go with a one up front and pack the midfield. Not a chance would I start Martin and I don't think Strachan will either. I would play Griffiths up front with Snodgrass supporting. Drop Bannon. If Fletcher is out, Morrison and McArthur to start. Ritchie will again get a wide place and although Burke may find more space in this match, I would start Forrest or Anya if fit. Ive never rated Robertson as a defender, brilliant offensively with great delivery however I think Tierney is fresh and away from home, is a better defender but can also attack when the opportunity arises. Remaining places unchanged. 

Guest DAVIDB69

He said yesterday that they'll "mix it up". I reckon Forrest will play instead of Burke and providing he's not able to play, McArthur for Fletcher. Also think Morrison will come in for Bannan.

Does Morrison even play club football these days

39 minutes ago, HeartsOfficialMoaner said:

It is an indicator of where we are right now when we are playing lower league players from England but lower league players from Scotland. That is having laugh 

Yeah leave out Snodgrass for McGinn? f**k that. 

7 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

why drop martin?

Like the look of this team Robertson is brilliant going forward and tierney has never let anyone down. Griffiths up top but wouldn't argue if fletcher got the nod he's scoring goals and should be looking to prove wgs wrong. Not a fan of Berra but on the same note I'm not a fan of any Scottish centre half these days so could be worth a punt.

11 hours ago, Craig McCulloch Burley said:

why drop martin?

You would assume Scotland will play one up front and not attack as much away from home than at home. Therefore you would wish a lone striker to be able to hold the ball up, run the channels, run behind defenders, approach and have the pace and skill to go past defenders. Also be more comfortable running through one on one on the goalie and take chances. For me Griffiths and even Fletcher is better than Martin at these skills. Martin is probably stronger in the air however is there going to be someone close enough to him to benefit. Strikers are far more effective and dangerous when they get behind defenders and get shots on target compared to strikers who play in front of defenders. Just ask defenders. 

Added to say it appears Martin has not scored in the Championship since last April. 

I would be dropping Hanley before Russell Martin any day of the week. I may be mistaken but on Saturday was it not that useless unfit oaf Hanley who turned slower than Milk for their goal?

At least we know Strachan is consistent with one thing, he always continues to pick players not playing for their Club yet will still moan about it to the Media? Granted some players can get away with lack of games but Hanley isn't exactly an Athlete is he? Do not see what Berra, a player who plays every week in same division for a decent side, could do worse than what Hanley the last few games and I am not a fan of Berra normally but at least he is playing so arguably more sharp? Heck I would even start Greer over Hanley at the moment purely because he looks fitter.

We all know Burke will be dropped and the reason will be cited as "we don't want to burn him out and put too much on his shoulders etc etc etc" this will coincide with the little ginger nyaff stating after we lose tomorrow how well he thought the completely inept and dire James Forrest has performed as his replacement.

As I said in the other thread, Martin didn't really do that much wrong in the Lithuania game for the role he was given.  He also, admittedly, didn't do a whole lot right.  He was let down by the players behind him adding up to the square root of f**k all.

I can see why he was started - he's looked short of any kind of confidence in a Scotland shirt, so the one time he scores and has an alright game, putting him in again could have been the making of him.  That's not really a mistake (in hindsight it is) but it would be a mistake to start him again.  Either Griffiths or Fletcher should start.  

Apart from that, there's not really anywhere on that team where we could drop someone deservedly and bring in a capable enough replacement.  I would consider dropping Ritchie due to how pish he was, but who do we have that can replace him?  And surely he can't be that bad again?  

Same team as Saturday, apart from someone else in for Martin.

Archived