Burke          Snodgrass        Anya

Fletcher  

*Mcarthur if Fletcher fails his fitness test

Would've went for Griffiths up top but not sure if he's fit enough 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, forameus said:

As I said in the other thread, Martin didn't really do that much wrong in the Lithuania game for the role he was given.  He also, admittedly, didn't do a whole lot right.  He was let down by the players behind him adding up to the square root of f**k all.

I can see why he was started - he's looked short of any kind of confidence in a Scotland shirt, so the one time he scores and has an alright game, putting him in again could have been the making of him.  That's not really a mistake (in hindsight it is) but it would be a mistake to start him again.  Either Griffiths or Fletcher should start.  

Apart from that, there's not really anywhere on that team where we could drop someone deservedly and bring in a capable enough replacement.  I would consider dropping Ritchie due to how pish he was, but who do we have that can replace him?  And surely he can't be that bad again?  

Same team as Saturday, apart from someone else in for Martin.

I felt before the match Martin was the wrong choice. See my previous post. Martin is more a box striker. He has strength in the air but not vastly skilful. Martin is fine at holding the ball up. I think Strachan thought that we would be in the last third with crosses coming in to the penalty box much much more. He may also have felt that there was little space in the central area. I would also assume Strachan saw their weakness and our strength was down the flanks therefore it was more about a striker in the box than one running the channels or getting in behind them. Fair enough but I would still have played Griffiths a prolific goal scorer. Martin has not scored since last April in the Champoinship. McArthur may well start. Maybe in the future but I'm not at present a Burke fan. I've already given several reasons why. I don't know anything about the opposition however if it suits the game plan, could Robertson and Tierney play on the left side leaving Ritchie to play in his favoured right side. We don't know what Strachan really thinks of some of the players for example Forrest who has been on fire for Celtic. 

f**k it.

Marhsall

Paterson         Hanley       Martin            Robertson

McArthur

Burke                  Snodgrass                    Anya

Griffiths             Fletcher

Marshall

Anya Martin Hanley Robertson

MacArthur Bannan

Snodgrass Maloney Ritchie

Fletcher

Seeing as Martin and Hanley are utter cart horses, I'd play Anya at fullback to cover with his pace. I'd also use Burke as an impact sub and big Chrissy Martin to come off the bench to score a rabona.

Tbh I don't give a f**k we're getting horsed anyway.

McArthur has to start.  I never used to be a big fan of him but he's now our best central midfielder.  I would still be minded to keep Fletcher in as the second sitting midfielder as, lets face it, Strachan is not going to change his system.

If we're not lumping a ball into a strikers feet, which we should have done for Martin on saturday and didnt, then Griffiths should start.  If we are looking for a striker to hold it up and the three behind him to play off him, then Fletcher.

Would give Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie another go. 

8 hours ago, troopio said:

I would be dropping Hanley before Russell Martin any day of the week. I may be mistaken but on Saturday was it not that useless unfit oaf Hanley who turned slower than Milk for their goal?

At least we know Strachan is consistent with one thing, he always continues to pick players not playing for their Club yet will still moan about it to the Media? Granted some players can get away with lack of games but Hanley isn't exactly an Athlete is he? Do not see what Berra, a player who plays every week in same division for a decent side, could do worse than what Hanley the last few games and I am not a fan of Berra normally but at least he is playing so arguably more sharp? Heck I would even start Greer over Hanley at the moment purely because he looks fitter.

We all know Burke will be dropped and the reason will be cited as "we don't want to burn him out and put too much on his shoulders etc etc etc" this will coincide with the little ginger nyaff stating after we lose tomorrow how well he thought the completely inept and dire James Forrest has performed as his replacement.

Burke should be dropped because he's done nothing in two games against poor sides. People always moan about how players only start playing for Scotland because they get a move to the Old Firm, well the same has happened with Burke getting a big money move.

I don't like the balance of Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie, they are all at their best on the right of an attacking 3. As if Forrest. Having someone on the left who cuts inside helps create more space for Robertson but we don't really have anyone who does that other than Maloney, and I don't think we should be starting him. I'd probably go with Snodgrass out wide with McArthur playing a more advanced central role in midfield. Maybe bring Burke on later when the game is more stretched.

Hanley has barely kicked a ball all season(made his debut for newcastle and Benititz had seen enough)and it showed he was left for dead on the few attacks Lithuania had  imagine against a team who are well on top of us.....gives me shudders thinking about it.

47 minutes ago, Diamonds are Forever said:

Burke should be dropped because he's done nothing in two games against poor sides. People always moan about how players only start playing for Scotland because they get a move to the Old Firm, well the same has happened with Burke getting a big money move.

I don't like the balance of Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie, they are all at their best on the right of an attacking 3. As if Forrest. Having someone on the left who cuts inside helps create more space for Robertson but we don't really have anyone who does that other than Maloney, and I don't think we should be starting him. I'd probably go with Snodgrass out wide with McArthur playing a more advanced central role in midfield. Maybe bring Burke on later when the game is more stretched.

Burke and forest never had prayer as the ball never went near the side they played.  The few times burke did have the ball he trI'd make something happen so for me he plays.

1 hour ago, Aladdin said:

McArthur has to start.  I never used to be a big fan of him but he's now our best central midfielder.  I would still be minded to keep Fletcher in as the second sitting midfielder as, lets face it, Strachan is not going to change his system.

If we're not lumping a ball into a strikers feet, which we should have done for Martin on saturday and didnt, then Griffiths should start.  If we are looking for a striker to hold it up and the three behind him to play off him, then Fletcher.

Would give Burke, Snodgrass and Ritchie another go. 

It's difficult enough to play a long pass consistently and accurately at club level never mind at international level. It also has a much greater percentage chance of losing possession than a shorter pass. A long ball is usually in the air for a header for the supporting player or into the channel for the player to spin into. To play it to feet is near on impossible. 

I think we shouldn't forget we are away from home and although Saturday's result means we more need three points, one wouldn't be bad at all and it stops them getting three. 

24 minutes ago, Myview said:

To play it to feet is near on impossible. 

Absolute bollocks. It is however, harder to play into feet if you aren't good enough for international football. 

It should be a basic requirement to be able to actually play football at international level. Some of the Scottish squad aren't good enough. Which in turn means Strachan is culpable for picking them.

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Absolute bollocks. It is however, harder to play into feet if you aren't good enough for international football. 

It should be a basic requirement to be able to actually play football at international level. Some of the Scottish squad aren't good enough. Which in turn means Strachan is culpable for picking them.

It was about trying to play an accurate long ball to a strikers feet.

A long pass is for example a full back hitting a 30/40/50 yard pass. Much easier to hit it in behind or into the channel as its a bigger target or not quite as good, for the striker to head on. If I was the coach of the defending team and that 30/40/50yard pass managed to get to a strikers feet I wouldn't be best pleased. That's why now they want goalies to pass the ball short to the back four rather than kicking it long down the park, as it's all about keeping possession.

I'm sure all the Scotland players  could find another player with a 40 yard pass but remember what stops them playing it is the intervention from the opposition. 

16 minutes ago, Myview said:

I'm sure all the Scotland players  could find another player with a 40 yard pass but remember what stops them playing it is the intervention from the opposition. 

Obviously and that is where good movement and technique are a prerequisite. Chris Martin is a fucking Carthorse who is shite at both but yet still gets picked. Is he shagging Strachans daughter?

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

Obviously and that is where good movement and technique are a prerequisite. Chris Martin is a fucking Carthorse who is shite at both but yet still gets picked. Is he shagging Strachans daughter?

Yes but no matter how good the strikers movement and touch is, I would expect at this level, the opposition to cut out a 40 yard pass aimed at a strikers feet. 

Btw I would play Griffiths first then Fletcher. I'm surprised posters think that Strachan will play both. I will not be betting on that! 

Marshall

Martin Hanley Berra

Snodgrass Bannen McArthur Maloney Anya

Fletcher Griffiths

We're not just playing the teams in this group to finish second, but every other group. Points total is everything. Go hard or go home

Should be the attitude but wont be sadly.

Archived