First 1/4 review

So we've reached the point of the season where all teams have played each other.

What are each teams supporters view of the season so far?

Have you over or under achieved?

What are the positives & negatives?

What would you personally change to improve things?

What are your expectations for the next quarter & remainder of the season?

Yet another shitfest of a season. Hoofball and the most awful central defense in the league.

Under achieved in my opinion. Some good signings and if it wasnt for heroics by McGurn earlier in the season we would be bottom no question.

Positives are McGurn in goal and Renton working his socks off up top with little proper support. Todorov has scored a few goals.

Negatives. Where do I start. Was elated to sign Turner. He has either not been fit or not interested and when he is trying to control the game the other 10 have been on a different wavelength. Defence is horrific. Not playing Brett at RB. No team spirit and little fight often enough. Did I say the defence was horrific. Todorov peaked on his debut and other than a few goals is not contributing to general play. Dundee Utd forward is a bad signing for him and the club - he wont get an extended chance and hasnt shown any reason why he should in his fleeting shot shy appearances.

I'm not a knee jerker but Fox isnt doing it for me and its the same signs as the last two relegation seasons. Unless he gets the central defence and defensive shape sorted there is a big worry. There is a fraction more bite in the middle than previous two seasons but not much and nobody busting a gut. There is no point in taking winger Moore on loan from Hearts if we just punt from one end to the big forwards at the other so we either play these guys and look to get round teams or we play 6 0 4. When we have scored goals we have generally got wide and got balls across the box rather than straight down the middle.

I genuinely worry about the trapdoor at the end of the season. EK in the cup next week will show how real that could be.

Haven't seen Clyde or Forfar but the standard has been dreadful.

doesnt say much for us at 2nd bottom then!

best iv seen is Elgin who were just  more all round solid and competent and effective without setting the heather alight.

34 minutes ago, wulliemc said:

Yet another shitfest of a season. Hoofball and the most awful central defense in the league.

Under achieved in my opinion. Some good signings and if it wasnt for heroics by McGurn earlier in the season we would be bottom no question.

Positives are McGurn in goal and Renton working his socks off up top with little proper support. Todorov has scored a few goals.

Negatives. Where do I start. Was elated to sign Turner. He has either not been fit or not interested and when he is trying to control the game the other 10 have been on a different wavelength. Defence is horrific. Not playing Brett at RB. No team spirit and little fight often enough. Did I say the defence was horrific. Todorov peaked on his debut and other than a few goals is not contributing to general play. Dundee Utd forward is a bad signing for him and the club - he wont get an extended chance and hasnt shown any reason why he should in his fleeting shot shy appearances.

I'm not a knee jerker but Fox isnt doing it for me and its the same signs as the last two relegation seasons. Unless he gets the central defence and defensive shape sorted there is a big worry. There is a fraction more bite in the middle than previous two seasons but not much and nobody busting a gut. There is no point in taking winger Moore on loan from Hearts if we just punt from one end to the big forwards at the other so we either play these guys and look to get round teams or we play 6 0 4. When we have scored goals we have generally got wide and got balls across the box rather than straight down the middle.

I genuinely worry about the trapdoor at the end of the season. EK in the cup next week will show how real that could be.

Good post.  The only other concern i would add is that Fox still has no idea what his best team is and the fans have no idea of how we're trying to play.  The fans seem to be unanimous in that we look OK when we play football but we assume Fox is telling them to hoof it long as that is what we usually see.

I think after Saturday's display, Gary Jardine will be dropping a few more players for the Forfar Scottish Cup tie. There were 4 changes from the previous game v Elgin City. ( ie. Caddow, Donaldson, Porteous and Laird replaced Dunsmore, Mbu (injured), Harrison and Beattie) 

I think Calum Antell will be back in for the Forfar game. He needs a run again. Mbu will be fit to play and should start. (He's our rock). If I picked the team (Graham Rix esque?) going by what I've seen so far this season, my first 11 would be Antell, Caddow, Mbu, Harrison, McKee, Dunn, McFarland, Laird, Gair, See, Guthrie. (4 4 2 formation.)

First Quarter Review of League Two. Edinburgh City - Option One.jpg

Yesterdays win probably makes it a 6/10 start for us.

Positives are that we have a decent amount of quality for this level and a few players who were maybe not rated (Phillips, Gold and Skelly in particular) have really lifted their performance levels. Only 1 defeat in the opening quarter is good going and it'll be a case of turning draws into victories for the remainder of the season.

We still have a couple of question marks, however. We're not creating enough chances and it's mainly down to a poor final ball. Kader has been particularly guilty of poor delivery while Linn can be guilty of overplaying. Campbell has been guilty of some bizarre decisions, particularly in the early part of the season when he was making very cautious substitutions which were costing us momentum and ended up costing us points.

Impressed by Clyde and think they will be up there come the end of the season. Forfar will likely be too although I think there are question marks over the depth of their squad.

Still think the ambition has to be winning the league and hopefully Campbell can try and keep a fairly settled XI on the pitch as that will help us get a bit of consistency and cohesion.

Ist Quarter review started with a loss away to Annan, drew at home to Clyde, home win against Montrose, away defeat at Arbroath, then we could only get a point at home against Edinburgh City(Their first point of the season).followed by another heavy defeat away to Forfar.

Next up home game against Elgin City which we lost 4-0, one of the worst performances I have seen at Forthbank culminating in the Manager Stuart McLaren leaving the Club after the match by mutual consent and Martyn Corrigan taking over as Caretaker Boss in the meantime.

Away to Cowdenbeath and surprise surprise we win our 1st away game of the season by 2-0, then follow this up win a 0-0 draw with Berwick at Forthbank.

Season so far has been a big disappointment felt with the squad we had we would be up amongst the top 4 but started badly and kept shipping goals away from home and the performance against Elgin where it was apparent the team didn't want to play for the manager and it was no surprise that he left by mutual consent.

Still looking for a new manager but hopefully when we do we start to climb up the League to hopefully a playoff spot.

Season so far I would rate 3/10

Despite having two of our Galacticos injured by the absolute hammer throwing cloggers of this league we are still right up there and Forfar appear to be shitting the bed. Plenty of grounds for optimism. Hopefully we can avoid another embarrassing cup exit and maintain our league form despite a threadbare squad.

Don't think I've seen any opposition better than Clyde. We may have lost a few but think we've always been the better team in any game I've been at.
Forfar have been the poorest opposition bearing in mind we didn't have Easton or Lowdon by then.

Don't think I've seen any opposition better than Clyde. We may have lost a few but think we've always been the better team in any game I've been at.
Forfar have been the poorest opposition bearing in mind we didn't have Easton or Lowdon by then.

[emoji1] 0-1

Think the league is tight and as expected there really isn't much between quite a few of the teams. Forfar looked to be running away with it early doors, which was no great surprise really. Where the surprise for me does lie is that Arbroath are so far off top spot and we are in 7th. The overall standard looks to be dreadful this year though, Elgin are the only team to impress me so far.

We've under-achieved in my honest opinion, massively.

Negatives - Many of our summer signings just haven't cut it. Blair Henderson was brought in to score goals and has been as much use as a traffic cone. Eddie Ferns was tremendous to start off and looked like a player who could rip this league apart, but now looks like a jobber. There are still question marks over Layne & Petrie and McCue and Mills have vanished without a trace. Only Marc McKenzie and Brian Hodge have looked the part on a regular basis.

Positives - Before the season kicked off, many spoke about the McLaren factor and thankfully he has now gone and fingers crossed the Exc get the next appointment right. We've still got some good players at the club and could go on a Play Off push, but we need the right manager to get the best out of the players.

The change I wanted has been made. McLaren never looked like he was up to the task, so now I would bring in a manager with a proven record of this level who plays attack minded football that entertains.

To start pushing into the Play Off spots and for the squad to improve

2 hours ago, BB_Bino said:

Think the league is tight and as expected there really isn't much between quite a few of the teams. Forfar looked to be running away with it early doors, which was no great surprise really. Where the surprise for me does lie is that Arbroath are so far off top spot and we are in 7th. The overall standard looks to be dreadful this year though, Elgin are the only team to impress me so far.

We've under-achieved in my honest opinion, massively.

Negatives - Many of our summer signings just haven't cut it. Blair Henderson was brought in to score goals and has been as much use as a traffic cone. Eddie Ferns was tremendous to start off and looked like a player who could rip this league apart, but now looks like a jobber. There are still question marks over Layne & Petrie and McCue and Mills have vanished without a trace. Only Marc McKenzie and Brian Hodge have looked the part on a regular basis.

Positives - Before the season kicked off, many spoke about the McLaren factor and thankfully he has now gone and fingers crossed the Exc get the next appointment right. We've still got some good players at the club and could go on a Play Off push, but we need the right manager to get the best out of the players.

The change I wanted has been made. McLaren never looked like he was up to the task, so now I would bring in a manager with a proven record of this level who plays attack minded football that entertains.

To start pushing into the Play Off spots and for the squad to improve

At least you will have plenty managers with a proven record who play attacking football queuing up for the gig.

Seen the other title challengers at Borough Briggs and tbh can't believe we lost to any of them, especially without us scoring. Watched the highlights of the away games and I believe that we'll be in the mix come April time, even more now that we've got our keeper situation sorted out.

I think we should be aiming for more. We've sorted the away form and I'd expect our home results will improve, although probably not to the levels of last season. We have great options going forward and seem to have resolved the goalie situation (temporarily anyway) so if we can keep the defence fit and suspension-free I think we have a very good chance of promotion.

Archived