#poppygate

RadgerTheBadger

On 11/18/2016 at 18:55, HairyBawz said:

I can't believe there's folk on that Tartan Army Facebook page wanting to set up a crowd fund to pay for any fine

WTF is going on with our support. No wonder the SFA & SSC think they can just bend us over and ride us up the jeer

Seriously?  f**k sake.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

FIFA have also opened disciplinary procedures against Wales and Northern Ireland over the wearing of poppies by their supporters in the stands

No they haven't. They opened proceedings against the card display the fans had.

18 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

FIFA have also opened disciplinary procedures against Wales and Northern Ireland over the wearing of poppies by their supporters in the stands

This is the lie being fed by the Welsh FA. Utterly pathetic rather than pull up the fans IMO. 

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

No they haven't. They opened proceedings against the card display the fans had.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-poppy-ban-northern-ireland-wales-england-scotland-poppies-a7433511.html

Yes they have.

The incidents under investigation include

·         Some supporters in the stands wearing the poppy.

·         A member of the armed forces was holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel

·         A fans mosaic depicting the poppy was displayed during the anthem of Wales.

·         A banner depicting the poppy was also displayed by the supporters of wales before the match started.

19 minutes ago, alang1993 said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/fifa-poppy-ban-northern-ireland-wales-england-scotland-poppies-a7433511.html

Yes they have.

The incidents under investigation include

·         Some supporters in the stands wearing the poppy.

·         A member of the armed forces was holding a bunch of poppies at the exit of the tunnel

·         A fans mosaic depicting the poppy was displayed during the anthem of Wales.

·         A banner depicting the poppy was also displayed by the supporters of wales before the match started.

If any of the female Welsh fans were called Poppy, I hope they get sent down too. Get 'em bang to rights!

• 4 weeks later...

77k that could've ended up in the poppy appeals coffers...

Exactly this.

The sensible solution would be instead of this ridiculous posturing with FIFA well donate any potential fine to the poppy appeal.

Oh no, we need this big daily mail inspired song and dance about poppies and 'how dare they question our remembrance day' stance.

Winds me up no end.

18 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Exactly this.

The sensible solution would be instead of this ridiculous posturing with FIFA well donate any potential fine to the poppy appeal.

Oh no, we need this big daily mail inspired song and dance about poppies and 'how dare they question our remembrance day' stance.

Winds me up no end.

Not exactly.  FIFA have to enforce their rules, so they can't really be criticised here.

It's the SFA and the FA.  As I said earlier in the thread, had they reacted to FIFA's "ban" by saying "fair enough, here's a donation to the British Legion instead", then that would have been a nice dignified way of drawing a line under the whole thing.  Instead, we get the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how unfair it all is and the risk (even if it was small in the end) of actual competition sanctions just so they could go along with the huge political shit-storm that is Rememberance Day nowadays.

Not exactly.  FIFA have to enforce their rules, so they can't really be criticised here.
It's the SFA and the FA.  As I said earlier in the thread, had they reacted to FIFA's "ban" by saying "fair enough, here's a donation to the British Legion instead", then that would have been a nice dignified way of drawing a line under the whole thing.  Instead, we get the wailing and gnashing of teeth about how unfair it all is and the risk (even if it was small in the end) of actual competition sanctions just so they could go along with the huge political shit-storm that is Rememberance Day nowadays.

That was really my point, apologies if I didn't articulate it brilliantly

20 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

That was really my point, apologies if I didn't articulate it brilliantly

Probably my bad too, reading your post back it does kind of read like that.  In agreement then!

Given we're pretty much stand zero chance of qualifying, I'd like to have seen a points deduction to totally underline how ridiculous the whole thing was.  Like NorthernLights said, the seethe that would have been generated from such an old-school wrestling heel move would have been absolutely glorious.  

EDIT: Also interesting to note that in the BBC article talking about the fines, they're completely glossing over the fact that the FAs made a request and FIFA denied them, before they did it anyway.  Would they have been punished as severely had they just done it without permission rather than blatantly defied a decision?  But don't worry, apparently the SFA are going to ask FIFA for "the full reasons" behind the fine.  You'll probably be able to hear the laughing from Geneva in even the darkest corners of Hampden at that one.

Exactly this.

Winds me up no end.

IIRC the fa originally said they were upset but there seeking an agreement. Then the daily mail, twitter bigots and the government started ranting and raving. Next thing all FA's said they would wear it. Never underestimate peer pressure.

It seems people are brainwashed into thinking the only way they can "remember our heroes" is to wear a flower on their person for a few days, and condemn those who don't. There are dozens of ways we can show respect to the same cause, many of them are charities who go about their business in a dignified manner.

Good.  The rules were in place, the British FAs did nothing to get them changed, came up with idea that was in contravention of those rules, were told not to go through with it and did anyway.  They should be fined.  Moronic Brits thinking they're special and rules shouldn't apply to them, as usual. 

Archived