#poppygate

RadgerTheBadger

Good.  The rules were in place, the British FAs had nothing to get them changes, came up with idea that was in contravention of those rules, were told not to go through with it and did anyway.  They should be fined.  Moronic Brits thinking they're special and rules shouldn't apply to them, as usual. 

As much as Fifa stated there would be no exception etc etc. I can't help but feel if the FA's never dug the heels in they would've agreed to a minutes silence.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

We also got fined for booing their/our (GSTQ) anthem.

:lol:

I didn't think our fans were that bad during the anthem(admittedly I was in the pub). I thought their fans were a lot worse during our anthem(I could clearly hear them booing the f**k out of it, even with the background pub noise)

So will this be deducted from the fat cats who decided to go ahead with this moronic idea? No of course not, either bump the Slovenia tickets up by another ridiculous amount or take it from the previous extortionate gate receipt.

Suppose what I am getting at is who is being held responsible for this and will they be punished?

27 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Hopefully we won't have to put up with poppy police at international level again. The whole poppies thing is getting out of hand. Buy a poppy and wear it, as I do, but keep it out of football.

Unfortunately, doubt that'll be the case.  If there are games around this time,which looks likely given that we're likely to see November games every year in some form(Nations League once it starts or qualifying), then it's going to come back up.  Probably the media once again, dredging it back up for an audience that never knew that they should be totally furious about it all.  It'll be good to watch in a grim, horrible way how overblown they can make everything in a general sense.  This year we had "OFFICIAL MERCHANDISE" trucks in two places in Glasgow selling T shirts that our ancestors died to give inspiration to, so what's next?  My hope is just that at some point, someone public goes against the grain and calls out the whole business.  I realise that that would be absolute career suicide, but it would be nice to see someone say that they'll remember the dead in their own way, rather than just put on a poppy because they feel they have to.

So will this be deducted from the fat cats who decided to go ahead with this moronic idea? No of course not, either bump the Slovenia tickets up by another ridiculous amount or take it from the previous extortionate gate receipt.

Suppose what I am getting at is who is being held responsible for this and will they be punished?

Heh...no.  Of course they won't.  Because they did nothing wrong, did they?  They were just standing up for our brave boys.  In this case, they have an absolutely cast-iron defence in most people's eyes.  In fact, it's probably considered good PR from them.  I wonder whether if we were up at the top of the table, and there was a threat of a points deduction, whether people would be more likely to blame them for what could have sunk qualification hopes just so we could wear something on our shirt.

52 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

"Disgarace", "Discrace" and "Less we forgot" are among my favourite reactions on the BBC Sport feeds.

My favourites have been one person saying it was the correct decision and someone who clearly thought overwise responded "Conformist".  Then there was the person who I saw reply to multiple Facebook stories with a link to a Facebook page called The Daily Patriot (which was very right wing as you won't be surprised to hear) while claiming the poppy is never used as political symbol.

4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

"Disgarace", "Discrace" and "Less we forgot" are among my favourite reactions on the BBC Sport feeds.

I'll see your poorly written one word diatribes from red-top reading scheme rates and raise you a "As if FIFA would have existed under the nazis!!!11"  

The number of mouth-breathers going tonto about this on social media is absolutely tremendous. 

6 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Hopefully we won't have to put up with poppy police at international level again. The whole poppies thing is getting out of hand. Buy a poppy and wear it, as I do, but keep it out of football.

There are, though, two problems here.  The first is the disgustingly bloated PoppyFest which is well-nigh impossible for any public person to question without being excoriated.  The 2nd is that anything that unites FIFA, James McClean and Sellick fans is intrinsically bad.

I see the SFA are waiting for 'written reasons' for the fine from FIFA before taking any further action.

Ffs what a farce this is. We know why. You knew before you did it, you explicitly said you were going to carry out a pointless PR stunt in spite of the rules, pay your fine and grow up.

By all rights they should go all Breakfast Club and increase the punishment each time they pointlessly talk back.

The ridiculous thing is FIFA have basically taken as little action as possible, it's the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.

They're basically saying 'it's not the most heinous crime but you broke the rules, you knew what you were doing so we need to do something'

The irony of it all being that the more wailing they do about it not being a political statement the more political it becomes.

I'm trying desperately to hold onto my personal view of the poppy which is a quiet symbol of remembrance but every year I resent it more and more which is sad because the fundamental cause is a genuine and worthwhile one.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

The ridiculous thing is FIFA have basically taken as little action as possible, it's the equivalent of a slap on the wrist.

They're basically saying 'it's not the most heinous crime but you broke the rules, you knew what you were doing so we need to do something'

The irony of it all being that the more wailing they do about it not being a political statement the more political it becomes.

I'm trying desperately to hold onto my personal view of the poppy which is a quiet symbol of remembrance but every year I resent it more and more which is sad because the fundamental cause is a genuine and worthwhile one.

Pretty much how I feel.  When I worked in retail as a student I was often working during the Rememberance Sunday silence.  Used to get pretty angry seeing people just chat their way through it, some customers getting raging when you wouldn't serve them during it.  So absolutely there should be remembrance at that time of year.  My mum also used to go around selling the poppies when I was a lot younger I seem to remember.

I won't wear one now though.  Not through some "oh look at me I'm making such a statement" thing, just because I feel I can remember without being shamed into wearing some symbol.  I don't remember it ever being as bad as it was the past few years though, and we've reached a nadir here.  Now that we've got the "WEEK OF FOOTBALL" extravaganza, this is likely to happen more and more.  Next year it's likely to be the playoffs in November, but the 11th falls on a Saturday, so likely we'll have something.  Year after it's another Sunday, and someone will be playing Nations League football on that day.

1 minute ago, Dons_1988 said:

The poppy has been a political symbol for a number of years, I value the price paid by all those brave people over the years but I wouldn't dream of buying a poppy or contributing to help for heroes etc, I disagreed vociferously with GA not getting involved in shaping the Gambling Act but I have to admit that it's issues like this that force me to acknowledge that they're chosen position of non political involvement is 100% correct.

I don't ever remember the poppy being part of football before the past decade or so.

• 1 month later...

And you thought it was over!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38921362

So let's get this straight...

• They asked to wear poppies on their shirts
  • FIFA said no
  • The SFA and FA said they'd do it anyway
  • FIFA held their hands up and warned that there would be sanctions if they did
  • SFA and FA did it anyway
  • They were sanctioned
  • Now they're appealing it?

So despite the thing happening being exactly what they were told would happen, they somehow think they'll get away with it?  

Top stuff chaps, really is :thumsup2

Archived