The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

“Instead of wasting their money on research they should have bought a crystal ball, a big, beautiful crystal ball.  They’re made out of glass you know, not everyone knows that but I’ve always known it.  No-one knows more about crystal balls than me”.

Angling for a job writing his press statements?

3 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let me tell you a wee story.  Twenty five years ago a film was released entitled 'The Madness Of King George'- it starred the late Nigel Hawthorne.  The original title however had been 'The Madness of George III' until someone had the (very) bright idea that the good folks of inland state America would be mighty confused by this as there had been no George I and George II versions as in the Rocky films.  To use the quote about late President Gerald Ford, we're talking people here who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

I think the actual quote was “fart and chew gum” but was obviously edited.

1 minute ago, Jacksgranda said:

Angling for a job writing his press statements?

If it got me close enough to him I’d make the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of mankind.

On a related note, when we were discussing “Do you  actually want (Boris) Johnson to die?” I wonder if the sentiment would have been the same had it been Trump.

31 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If it got me close enough to him I’d make the ultimate sacrifice for the sake of mankind.

On a related note, when we were discussing “Do you  actually want (Boris) Johnson to die?” I wonder if the sentiment would have been the same had it been Trump.

Only problem with that is he'd be replaced my Mike Pence 

I am trying to work out who is dumber. Trump's supporters for swallowing his shit, or Trump's detractors for swallowing his shit. 

$50 has been delayed by a few weeks until congress approves it. But the real kicker is its a tiny tiny fraction of the US contribution to global health. Its only about 5% of the US direct contributions to the W.H.O, in addition to the billions they give for things like AIDS and other disease programs.

EVnx0F9UwAYJOV5?format=jpg&name=large

And the US is a huge contributor to the GAVI alliance (as is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UK and Norway) so much of that funding is from the US indirectly. GAVI is a international research project for multiple vaccines for common diseases and is the center piece of much of the worlds efforts to develop a vaccine for the current corronavirus, SARS-CoV2.

For all his faults he has caused a world shitstorm over a tea cup. His supporters think he is standing up to the corrupt world gubmit, his detractors think he is burning down the world in the middle of a pandemic. He has shifted the payment date on a line item that is ultimately someone else's money to spend. 

For him it gives his supporters something to kick about to detract from his mishandling of the US response, and for the other clown in the show, Tedros, it lets him pretend to be a victim rather than having to explain to the world why his organisation dropped the ball so spectacularly in January\February. They were basically just translating CCP press releases and giving that to the world as its advice on the disease. 

The real news is no news to anyone who has been paying attention. The US right no longer regards the post war world order as useful. The coming demographic contractions in Europe and China, adding to those underway in Japan and South Korea mean that the US is one of the few advanced economies with a healthy sized population in their teens and twenties. High income consumers are going to be increasingly American in the next two decades. The old way of the US providing the bulk of the military heft and the Europeans and east Asians could sell to the US to grow is no longer a thing. US is ripping apart the WTO, has ripped up it treaties with Canada, Mexico and killed the other free trade treaties it had brewing. 

The only thing keeping the US right in NATO these days is eastern Europe, they are energy independent now so the Middle East is no longer a major concern for them (incredible change from 20 years ago). 

The US now sees China as its most significant military rival, odd place for a country heavily dependent on exports to be. The US will now likely start tying bigger strings to its huge aid budget to counter Chinas loans and bribes. Bad for sustainable development, bad for transparency but thats what happens when countries starting towing Beijing's line. In the mean time the "art of the deal" will be trying to make a big show of his deal making skills, trying to paint Democrats as being soft on the "corrupt China centric UN", the world will continue to spin. 

Edited by dorlomin

I am trying to work out who is dumber. Trump's supporters for swallowing his shit, or Trump's detractors for swallowing his shit. 

$50 has been delayed by a few weeks until congress approves it. But the real kicker is its a tiny tiny fraction of the US contribution to global health. Its only about 5% of the US direct contributions to the W.H.O, in addition to the billions they give for things like AIDS and other disease programs.
EVnx0F9UwAYJOV5?format=jpg%26name=large&key=713516d2cf4e58f9e457a6bb9b14faf6367aa0cf71ba099090e45b0ba769515f

And the US is a huge contributor to the GAVI alliance (as is the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, UK and Norway) so much of that funding is from the US indirectly. GAVI is a international research project for multiple vaccines for common diseases and is the center piece of much of the worlds efforts to develop a vaccine for the current corronavirus, SARS-CoV2.
For all his faults he has caused a world shitstorm over a tea cup. His supporters think he is standing up to the corrupt world gubmit, his detractors think he is burning down the world in the middle of a pandemic. He has shifted the payment date on a line item that is ultimately someone else's money to spend. 
For him it gives his supporters something to kick about to detract from his mishandling of the US response, and for the other clown in the show, Tedros, it lets him pretend to be a victim rather than having to explain to the world why his organisation dropped the ball so spectacularly in January\February. They were basically just translating CCP press releases and giving that to the world as its advice on the disease. 
The real news is no news to anyone who has been paying attention. The US right no longer regards the post war world order as useful. The coming demographic contractions in Europe and China, adding to those underway in Japan and South Korea mean that the US is one of the few advanced economies with a healthy sized population in their teens and twenties. High income consumers are going to be increasingly American in the next two decades. The old way of the US providing the bulk of the military heft and the Europeans and east Asians could sell to the US to grow is no longer a thing. US is ripping apart the WTO, has ripped up it treaties with Canada, Mexico and killed the other free trade treaties it had brewing. 
The only thing keeping the US right in NATO these days is eastern Europe, they are energy independent now so the Middle East is no longer a major concern for them (incredible change from 20 years ago). 
The US now sees China as its most significant military rival, odd place for a country heavily dependent on exports to be. The US will now likely start tying bigger strings to its huge aid budget to counter Chinas loans and bribes. Bad for sustainable development, bad for transparency but thats what happens when countries starting towing Beijing's line. In the mean time the "art of the deal" will be trying to make a big show of his deal making skills, trying to paint Democrats as being soft on the "corrupt China centric UN", the world will continue to spin. 

That’s a very thoughtful post which has no place in the politics forum.

I’d only add that the real criticism of Trump isn’t about the WHO. It’s about the nature of his press conferences, where he’s clearly out of his depth. Nonetheless, he’s the president of the USA and his words and deeds have to be taken on face value.

Also, I think the USA is threatening to withhold more than that.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The term “insults my intelligence” might be overused but it certainly applies to Fox News.  People like Conway are not dumb however, she’s a liar; a professional, politically motivated liar.

Much of the audience will be dumb, many will know in their hearts that they are being fed bullshit but it’s bullshit that they want to believe.  It justifies their behaviour if they can claim their prejudices were supported by a national news network.

Yes indeed, there are at least 350,000,000 reasons why this is true and it's probably for the best that the grown ups get beyond the brazen schtick of Trump and his ilk.

Hand wringing didn't work then, won't work now and will be ignored at polling time.

15 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Let me tell you a wee story.  Twenty five years ago a film was released entitled 'The Madness Of King George'- it starred the late Nigel Hawthorne.  The original title however had been 'The Madness of George III' until someone had the (very) bright idea that the good folks of inland state America would be mighty confused by this as there had been no George I and George II versions as in the Rocky films.  To use the quote about late President Gerald Ford, we're talking people here who can't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Similarly Led Zeppelin spelt their name to the way it is to make it obviously to Americans how to pronounce it.   Also that it is pun on lead balloon as opposed to a zeppelin that is out in front.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

80% of the money from the US Coronavirus business stimulus fund will benefit millionaires and billionaires.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/15/tax-change-coronavirus-stimulus-act-millionaires-billionaires

As the dust settles on the $2.2 trillion legislation, it has become clear that one of its largest provisions, a $170 billion tax giveaway, appears to be tailor-made for the benefit of wealthy real estate investors such as President Trump and his son-in-law, Jared Kushner, who is running one of Trump’s coronavirus task forces.

The giveaway, primarily to real estate investors and hedge funds, is larger than the total amount in the legislation for hospitals ($100 billion) and for relief for all state and local governments ($150 billion). Worse, the bonanza for these millionaires and billionaires has little to do with the coronavirus: It lets them offset losses not just from 2020 but from 2018 and 2019, before the pandemic.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/04/14/trump-kushner-could-reap-pandemic-windfall/

Whitehouse and State Department going full tinfoil hat deflection mode, pushed by the Murdoch media. China deliberately set off the virus to show they were better at containment and healthcare than America.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-china-compete-us-sources

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11407987/coronavirus-developed-wuhan-lab-china-greater-us-disease/

Edited by welshbairn

Whitehouse and State Department going full tinfoil hat deflection mode, pushed by the Murdoch media. China deliberately set off the virus to show they were better at containment and healthcare than America.
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/coronavirus-wuhan-lab-china-compete-us-sources
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11407987/coronavirus-developed-wuhan-lab-china-greater-us-disease/

That’s timed to go alongside an Infowars exclusive. Trump has been watching Alex Jones and ordered his experts to look into it. The State Department is actually fairly liberal, or at least the career guys are, so they’ll laugh it off but the Whitehouse is full of incompetents and so it might have traction.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, though, Coronavirus is not chemical warfare, and anyone who claims it is (or even could be) is not only one for the watching, but one for the loony bin.

10 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The State Department is actually fairly liberal, or at least the career guys are, so they’ll laugh it off

Bit worrying when their boss is talking like this though:

Mike Pompeo remarked: "What we do know is we know that this virus originated in Wuhan, China. We know there is the Wuhan Institute of Virology just a handful of miles away from where the wet market was. There is still lots to learn. You should know that the United States government is working diligently to figure it out."

17 hours ago, dorlomin said:

anyone who has been paying attention.

Where do you get this stuff from? 

How can a large number of consumers possibly be a geopolitical strength nevermind the defining one?

The US no longer care about the Middle East? Incredible.

"Strings to it's huge aid budget"/"Chinese loans and bribes". The US definitely do loans through the IMF and World Bank which have nooses attached to them. BBC level orientalism there.

Tensions are rising because China will eventually end dollar hegemony and then US consumption will need to drop. The USA will continue to sabre rattle and ramp up it's new cold war (which you will no doubt savour) but it doesn't matter because it's too late.

The USA can either reduce inequality at home and live happily in the multipolar world or break itself trying to remain the hegemon.