The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

11 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

He declared Jerusalem the Israeli capital then proceeded to sign the same 6-monthly document that previous US Presidents have signed to delay moving the US embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

It's Trump to a tee - talks one thing and does another.

Yes, you are right that since 1995 the same move has been declared mandated by the US congress - however every President during and since has delayed the move. 

However with the media pronouncements surrounding this including Netanyahu declaring it etc. means that this time it is likely to happen.

Which is disgraceful and another nail in the coffin for a two state solution in my view.

It is also interesting to see which countries voted in favour of the recognition. Shows that reports that Israel are forming closer ties with Russia and China could well be correct. Also seems the case that Eastern Europe is becoming significantly more pro-Israel.

Interesting to see that Trump's first commuted sentence decision is in favour of Rubashkin...

For all of Trump's talk of being harder on criminals and those who use illegal immigrant labour - it seems in this case to have been just words. Widespread financial fraud and brutal exploitation of illegal labour was just only a part of what Rubashkin was involved in.

Rubashkin's kosher meat factory was also operating as a meth lab:

DRm85KgU8AAMF1A.thumb.jpg.2c0a57a32997b8ea93553f6b93bc7032.jpg

Looks like different rules apply if you belong to the same religious sect as Jared Kushner...

Yes, you are right that since 1995 the same move has been declared mandated by the US congress - however every President during and since has delayed the move. 
However with the media pronouncements surrounding this including Netanyahu declaring it etc. means that this time it is likely to happen.
Which is disgraceful and another nail in the coffin for a two state solution in my view.
It is also interesting to see which countries voted in favour of the recognition. Shows that reports that Israel are forming closer ties with Russia and China could well be correct. Also seems the case that Eastern Europe is becoming significantly more pro-Israel.

Poland's probably still feart of the Jews they kicked out after WW2 coming back and taking the wealth the Poles stole off of them back. Either that or Eastern Europe has a big hard on for ethnostates.

I see Nikki Haley is throwing a party to celebrate the friendship between the US and those who sided with them at the UN.

Bit of a cringe though as she's invited all the abstainers, and even the folk who didn't turn up, to avoid a minter of an event attended by a few postmen from Micronesia, Togo and Fraserburgh.

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 11:26, Forest of Dean said:

Actually I think this was all about taking a poke at the UN to please his own supporters.  He has already criticized both the EU and NATO so it was inevitable the UN would be next.

I suspect the whole thing will quietly disappear once it stops making headlines for Trump.

In the meantime, I wonder what other international bodies will be next for his wrath.

On 12/22/2017 at 15:12, NotThePars said:

Poland's probably still feart of the Jews they kicked out after WW2 coming back and taking the wealth the Poles stole off of them back. Either that or Eastern Europe has a big hard on for ethnostates.

If you look at it from a strategical point of view, leaving the morality out of it, it makes a lot of sense.

Poland and Hungary are currently at risk of having sanctions applied against by the EU for their domestic policies. Forging closer diplomatic links with Israel makes sense, since Israel already has a grudge against the EU and particularly France (as a permanent UN Security Council member) for often voting for measures and resolutions that Israel sees as too critical.

So if they get Israeli support (and therefore likely US support to some extent) then significant sanctions are less likely to happen.

On 12/24/2017 at 20:27, Fullerene said:

Actually I think this was all about taking a poke at the UN to please his own supporters.  He has already criticized both the EU and NATO so it was inevitable the UN would be next.

I suspect the whole thing will quietly disappear once it stops making headlines for Trump.

In the meantime, I wonder what other international bodies will be next for his wrath.

Nah, I don't believe that as why then did Netanyahu make a big song and dance about it too? He already has all the corruption stuff to deal with right now - he wouldn't want to make a big noise about this for it not to happen.

This will be happening this time. 

29 minutes ago, Forest of Dean said:

If you look at it from a strategical point of view, leaving the morality out of it, it makes a lot of sense.

Poland and Hungary are currently at risk of having sanctions applied against by the EU for their domestic policies. Forging closer diplomatic links with Israel makes sense, since Israel already has a grudge against the EU and particularly France (as a permanent UN Security Council member) for often voting for measures and resolutions that Israel sees as too critical.

So if they get Israeli support (and therefore likely US support to some extent) then significant sanctions are less likely to happen.

How would Israel supporting Poland's project to get rid of an independent judiciary and appoint political tsars persuade the EU to ignore their rules on governance?  The Security Council is irrelevant, and since Trump took over the US has little influence, unless Poland actually want to leave the EU that they are massively dependent on. Not sure either what the Israeli position is on Hungary accepting their share of refugees is, but I suspect they don't have one and it wouldn't matter if they did.

Edited by welshbairn

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

How would Israel supporting Poland's project to get rid of an independent judiciary and appoint political tsars persuade the EU to ignore their rules on governance?  The Security Council is irrelevant, and since Trump took over the US has little influence, unless Poland actually want to leave the EU that they are massively dependent on. Not sure either what the Israeli position is on Hungary accepting their share of refugees is, but I suspect they don't have one and it wouldn't matter if they did.

I'm not saying Israel would support Poland's domestic policies. I'm saying that they are forming closer ties with the evidence being Poland and Hungary's recent voting decision.

The Security Council isn't irrelevant - as it is something that Israel is definitely annoyed about. This can be seen from Likud MPs' statements and Israeli media. It explains why Israel why might see an alliance with Eastern Europe as in their interests - as it can be seen as an attempt to marginalise France etc.

The US doesn't have little influence - a Presidential election can't change that over night - it's the most powerful country in the world by a distance. It also has strong ties with Israel so could easily be quite critical of strong sanctions being applied on Poland/Hungary.

22 hours ago, welshbairn said:

What could the US do to the EU if Poland and/or Hungary are denied voting rights in Brussels? What could Israel do?

It's just about political coalitions.

The EU would be less likely to sanction Poland with more backing than a Poland that is diplomatically isolated.

1 hour ago, Forest of Dean said:

It's just about political coalitions.

The EU would be less likely to sanction Poland with more backing than a Poland that is diplomatically isolated.

I think the EU sees Trump as an impotent fool who will disappear in 2020, and be more diminished in 2018. He tried to drop the Russian sanctions, they've been increased. He tried to kill Obamacare, apparently it's more popular than ever. The US Mexico border fence hasn't expanded an inch, never mind a wall. He's managed to promise his rich buddies at Mar-a- Lago "You all just got a lot richer." with the tax bill that massively increases debt to his grandchildren, but as long as Fox News are nice and the Saudis put pictures up of him smiling, he doesn't give a f**k.

P.S. I just don't see what leverage Trump or even less Netanyahu have over the the EU's attitude to Poland and Hungary sticking to the rules. 

Edited by welshbairn