The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

1 hour ago, banana said:

Manning should never have been locked up imo, so am happy he has been released. I do wonder about Obama's motivation for releasing him at this late date, he's having quite the 'mare in recent weeks.

Why shouldn't she have been locked up? I never looked into the details of the case and I generally like when the government gets embarrassed, but I'm not sure we can have every Private in the Army deciding to muck up war policy if they don't like something.

15 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

Does this no also happen with the royals or am I wrong?

It seems like the UK is the odd man out in not having some sort of executive who routinely confers pardons. Looks like this is mostly due to the Monarchy declining to use the power as they accepted a reduced role in modern times. Wiki says they still use it occasionally in consultation with the government and only in cases of clear miscarriage of justice rather than the political acts that occur in the US and other countries.

Why shouldn't she have been locked up? I never looked into the details of the case and I generally like when the government gets embarrassed, but I'm not sure we can have every Private in the Army deciding to muck up war policy if they don't like something.

Personally, a moral call on the balance of the American public's and the world's interest considering the nature of war and what the US gets up to, versus any potential damage done by the content leaked.

Morality and law and reality are separate things, granted, so 'shouldn't perhaps isn't the best word.

11 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

It seems like the UK is the odd man out in not having some sort of executive who routinely confers pardons. Looks like this is mostly due to the Monarchy declining to use the power as they accepted a reduced role in modern times. Wiki says they still use it occasionally in consultation with the government and only in cases of clear miscarriage of justice rather than the political acts that occur in the US and other countries.

But surely in a clear miscarriage of justice it should be the courts that free the person?

I'm sure Mrs Windsor gets tae pardon some criminals?

2 hours ago, banana said:

More interesting to see how the Trump haters react, given the current line about The Russians! hacking, etc.

Manning should never have been locked up imo, so am happy he has been released. I do wonder about Obama's motivation for releasing him at this late date, he's having quite the 'mare in recent weeks.

Granny on the ball for once re: the bizarre power given to outgoing presidents.

It's not a power given to outgoing Presidents.

All Presidents have the power of pardon or commutation throughout their term(S) of office. Obama has used his powers more than any recent President, over 1,500 times.

Outgoing Presidents tend to leave the more controversial pardons to the last week or so. Bill Clinton pardoned his brother for his drug crimes. 

I'm now looking forward to the Trump Presidency.

ISIS defeated in 90 days.  His son-in-law to broker a peace between Israel and Palestine.  China put firmly in their place.  NATO disbanded (great news, it's been a disaster).

What a bunch of pish.  FWIW it's a legitimate position to question May's premiership if you question the legitimacy of FPTP.  Questioning the validity of the electoral college is no different.  Being unwilling to attend the inauguration of a racist/sexist/mysoginistic/xenophobe is an equally legitimate stance.

W was a service dodging, lying, right wing arsehole but there were few who argued that his inauguration should be boycotted.

Sorry to drag the Lewis / Trump thing back up, but I've just read Mr Lewis boycotted George W. Bush's inauguration in 2000 as well.

He doesn't like Democrats losing, it seems. Trump was on the right side of this particular issue, for once.

New species of moth named for Trump
http://www.foxnews.com/science/2017/01/18/new-species-moth-named-for-trump-thanks-to-yellowish-mop.html
Trump will be sworn in as president on Friday.
His predecessor, Barack Obama, has had both a fish and a flatworm named for him.

…meanwhile…
Topless protester attacks Trump statue
http://www.fox5ny.com/news/229812515-story

…and for fans of the Big Bang Theory…
Mayim Bialik posts video ahead of Trump inauguration
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2017/01/18/mayim-bialik-posts-video-ahead-trump-inauguration.html
…And I pray for guidance from the Universe to show me what I need to do and how I need to do it.

FFS

Viva Miguel Sanchez :thumsup2

9 hours ago, banana said:

More interesting to see how the Trump haters react, given the current line about The Russians! hacking, etc.

Granny on the ball for once re: the bizarre power given to outgoing presidents.

Chelsea Manning is a woman.

28 minutes ago, Paco said:

Sorry to drag the Lewis / Trump thing back up, but I've just read Mr Lewis boycotted George W. Bush's inauguration in 2000 as well.

He doesn't like Democrats losing, it seems. Trump was on the right side of this particular issue, for once.

Which Lewis lied about when announcing his boycott of Trump's inauguration.