The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

I fear Warren has fucked it already with that indigenous nonsense a few months back, it's going to be a dirty fight and I have my doubts she's up to it.

However, for me anyway, she's probably the closest to Sanders policy wise. Leaving the 'I'm a capitalist to my bones' to the side, a platform of Medicare for all, 40% worker control of corporations, a huge affordable housing plan and restrictions on lobbyists is decent. Dunno about her foreign policy, but I suspect it'll be pretty shite and along the lines of Obama/Clinton.

She's certainly more appealing than the 20 slightly different shades of neoliberal grey, corporate shills that will inevitably throw their hat in the ring.

5 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I fear Warren has fucked it already with that indigenous nonsense a few months back, it's going to be a dirty fight and I have my doubts she's up to it.

However, for me anyway, she's probably the closest to Sanders policy wise. Leaving the 'I'm a capitalist to my bones' to the side, a platform of Medicare for all, 40% worker control of corporations, a huge affordable housing plan and restrictions on lobbyists is decent. Dunno about her foreign policy, but I suspect it'll be pretty shite and along the lines of Obama/Clinton.

She's certainly more appealing than the 20 slightly different shades of neoliberal grey, corporate shills that will inevitably throw their hat in the ring.

I think she blew her chance by not running against Clinton in the primaries last time around. There will be a lot more contenders on the left of the party this time around, she's lost her USP.

Just found out that if Trump and Pence were both to die or become even more incapacitated, Nancy Pelosi would become President, assuming she gets elected Speaker on Thursday.

Pelosi will be speaker, her and Schumer having Trump make an even bigger arse of himself than usual taking pre-emptive ownership of the shutdown has silenced the dissenters

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

I think she blew her chance by not running against Clinton in the primaries last time around. There will be a lot more contenders on the left of the party this time around, she's lost her USP.

Personally, I think she was right to avoid the 2016 clusterfuck.  It would still be held against her if she'd tried to go against Hillary, 

I don't think there will be many to the left of Warren here, she's also backing a $15 minimum wage. By setting her stall out early with stuff like this, it'll hopefully drag the others left.

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Could end up being a farce with 30 odd candidates battling it out on TV. Hope someone emerges early and directs the battle at Trump instead of internecine squabbles. 

I had thought Trump would not run again; walking away with some excuse being a lesser dent to his massive ego than being defeated.

Talk of a sealed indictment has changed my thoughts on this.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

I had thought Trump would not run again; walking away with some excuse being a lesser dent to his massive ego than being defeated.

Talk of a sealed indictment has changed my thoughts on this.

I think he'd rather blame a conspiracy for losing the election than win it, and start up another right wing/populist media channel out of the rage from his base that he was blocked from last time when he unexpectedly won. Not sure if the endless meetings with foreign and domestic dignitaries and groups of deserving children blocking him from spending the winters in Florida might persuade him to bow out. A Republican standing against him in the primaries could give him an out, blaming the cucks.

The countdown to Trump being forced to hand over his tax returns has started.  He is going to be under constant attack on all side over the coming weeks and months.  Let’s hope it has a serious impact on his health.

The countdown to Trump being forced to hand over his tax returns has started.  He is going to be under constant attack on all side over the coming weeks and months.  Let’s hope it has a serious impact on his health.

Indeed, and I predict three fingers of Melania's right hand will melt when she brushes against an Oval Room radiator.

Odds for Democratic nominee are:

Beto O'Rourke - 9/2

Kamala Harris - 5/1

Amy Kloubchar - 10/1

Joe Biden- 10/1

Elizabeth Warren - 12/1

Bernie Sanders - 12/1

Kloubchar is currently sounding out about running - and going by ratings is way ahead of Warren.

The two front runners are only there because the midterms are still relatively fresh in people's minds - I would have thought that 2020 was way too soon for both O'Rourke and Harris.

O'Rourke is also considering a bid - and a recent meeting with Obama has fueled speculation that he may yet run. Harris too is to make a decision over the next few weeks whether to run or not.

Biden looks to be lining up a serious bid this time - recently declining a fee for a speech because it came from public funds and deliberately ensuring the word "former" does not appear before "Vice President" in any social media communications.

Could be a real interesting few weeks as the candidates start to declare.

Democrats are going to Democrat, aren’t they? They’ll try to recreate Chicago ‘68 and implode, with Bernie Bros flinging misogynistic crap at, oh, let’s say, Harris for two years.

Assuming he has no skeletons, what they need to do is go all in on O’Rourke, who is doing great stuff in that box-of-frogs state of Texas.