The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He fair likes his economic wars though, and along with wrecking international treaties including arms control, is increasing global instability. The mechanisms for dampening down potential for future conflicts are being deliberately undermined. Using the dollar and global financial domination to unilaterally enforce ill thought out sanctions and openly supporting megalomaniac dictators even when caught murdering American residents and citizens might be thought of as refreshingly honest, but it sends out a message that the rules based post war consensus is dead, and there will be no consequences for psychopaths in power behaving badly so long as they say nice things about Trumpy. 

I'm absolutely no supporter of Trump but what you say above could well describe many American Presidents since WW2, how about Nixon for one, Daft Donnie is obviously not so subtle in what he spouts but I see no difference in many of  his predecessors.

As long as no young men are being slaughtered in unnecessary wars Trump can feck about all he wants with his trade wars, to me that is the better alternative.

Edited by SandyCromarty

6 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I'm absolutely no supporter of Trump but what you say above could well describe many American Presidents since WW2, how about Nixon for one, Daft Donnie is obviously not so subtle in what he spouts but I see no difference in many of  his predecessors.

As long as no young men are being slaughtered in unnecessary wars Trump can feck about all he wants with his trade wars, to me that is the better alternative.

Nixon started diplomatic relations with China and arms control negotiations with Russia. He was obviously a war criminal in South East Asia, but it was the sainted Kennedy who kicked that off. I agree that it's a relief that Trump hasn't directly started any wars yet, bit surprised he didn't go into Venezuela, but he's laying the groundwork for making large scale future wars more likely, including quietly encouraging Saudi Arabia in becoming a nuclear power while taking the carrot away from Iran that was encouraging them not to become one. His new best buddy Kim Jong-un is showing the only way to resist American hegemony is to have a nuclear threat.

Back in 2009 (ish) Trump touted his environmental credentials by saying that the marram grass he was having planted at Menie to stabilise the dunes was great for the environment of course ignoring the fact that the dunes there are (or rather were) continuously shifting and that stabilising them was the opposite of what needed to be done.

Edited by RiG

19 hours ago, welshbairn said:

I agree that it's a relief that Trump hasn't directly started any wars yet, bit surprised he didn't go into Venezuela, 

Correct.

Your other observations are just that, supposition with a whiff of whatifery.

An inordinate amount of print and media time is spent on denigrating the Daft Donnie, the BBC especially are obsessed with him, Radio Scotland has two topical news programmes on a sat morning most of which is dedicated entirely to him.

I have lived in and visited the United States many times and I have no doubt that the daft lad will get a second term owing to the fact that middle and southern America abounds with similar minded Donalds.

Interesting that you mention the warmongering/serial adulterer Kennedy who is venerated the world over, he absolutely would have entered into a nuclear war if Khrushchev had not backed down. As a BTW did you know that the Kennedy family got a real slice of Hertz's profits until well into the seventies, old Joe anti British the financial wizard saved the company from going under in the thirties instead of a fee he asked and got a slice of any future action.

On 23/08/2019 at 21:06, O'Kelly Isley III said:
On 23/08/2019 at 20:49, Detournement said:
Wait and see if Europe actually does anything beyond posturing.
Europe said nothing when Dilma and Lula got screwed over to let Bolsonaro in.

That is a meaningless comparison, and I for one applaud Macron's intervention. As I recall, you were recently scathing about the EU/Mercosur trade deal so I would have imagine that it's potential scrapping would maybe represent Europe doing 'something', no ?

The European countries offered Brazil £20 million (ie an Oli McBurnie).

Brazil quite rightly told them to bolt.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Interesting that you mention the warmongering/serial adulterer Kennedy who is venerated the world over, he absolutely would have entered into a nuclear war if Khrushchev had not backed down.

That's not true at all.

JFK was a regular war hawk until he reached the White House but during the Cuban missile crisis he sidelined the insane generals who wanted to launch nuclear attacks and set up a back door channel to Moscow through Bobby who he could trust. He also removed a lot of the lunatics from the CIA such as Allen Dulles.

Taking on the CIA then making a speech announcing his intention to end the Cold War in June 1963 signed his death warrant.

https://www.jfklibrary.org/archives/other-resources/john-f-kennedy-speeches/american-university-19630610

What kind of peace do I mean? What kind of peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about genuine peace, the kind of peace that makes life on earth worth living, the kind that enables men and nations to grow and to hope and to build a better life for their children--not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women--not merely peace in our time but peace for all time.

I speak of peace because of the new face of war. Total war makes no sense in an age when great powers can maintain large and relatively invulnerable nuclear forces and refuse to surrender without resort to those forces. It makes no sense in an age when a single nuclear weapon contains almost ten times the explosive force delivered by all the allied air forces in the Second World War. It makes no sense in an age when the deadly poisons produced by a nuclear exchange would be carried by wind and water and soil and seed to the far corners of the globe and to generations yet unborn.

JFK wouldn't have became President if he wasn't an imperialist but it's clear that the Cuban Missile Crisis changed his perspective and in 1963 he was ready to pursue a less antagonistic foreign policy.

JFK wouldn't have became President if he wasn't an imperialist but it's clear that the Cuban Missile Crisis changed his perspective and in 1963 he was ready to pursue a less antagonistic foreign policy.

Given how much pressure Curtis LeMay and Maxwell Taylor put on him, it’s revisionist at best to call Kennedy a hawk.

While a certain amount of glorification occurs with JFK, there’s no question he was cut from a different mould than the presidents directly before and after him.

Those wish to sacrifice a holy cow are aiming at the wrong place, or more likely simply being contrarian, when taking aim at JFK. Given the nature of international relations at the time, Kennedy was very much against the grain.

Nixon is your guy if you want to really look at a guy whose reputation and reality are misunderstood.

16 hours ago, BillyAnchor said:

Even money his wife is wearing dark glasses to hide the bruises after he sees all the Trudeau internet pics.

Some comedian made me laugh with the idea that poor Milania (sp?) is just a poor, honest gold-digger who didn't sign up for all this mad shít. Hard to disagree, as she doesn't exactly give off a "loving life" vibe.

21 hours ago, Detournement said:

The European countries offered Brazil £20 million (ie an Oli McBurnie).

Brazil quite rightly told them to bolt.

20 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Would have been good if Brazil had taken the money and spent it on McBurnie and a fire truck.

They decided his brother Forest McBurnie was a better option.

On 27/08/2019 at 09:47, SandyCromarty said:

Correct.

Your other observations are just that, supposition with a whiff of whatifery.

An inordinate amount of print and media time is spent on denigrating the Daft Donnie, the BBC especially are obsessed with him, Radio Scotland has two topical news programmes on a sat morning most of which is dedicated entirely to him.

I have lived in and visited the United States many times and I have no doubt that the daft lad will get a second term owing to the fact that middle and southern America abounds with similar minded Donalds.

Interesting that you mention the warmongering/serial adulterer Kennedy who is venerated the world over, he absolutely would have entered into a nuclear war if Khrushchev had not backed down. As a BTW did you know that the Kennedy family got a real slice of Hertz's profits until well into the seventies, old Joe anti British the financial wizard saved the company from going under in the thirties instead of a fee he asked and got a slice of any future action.

That's utter nonsense about JFK and nuclear war, the polar opposite of the truth.  You need to do a little research.  That's actually why the military-industrial-intelligence complex killed him mainly.

18 hours ago, Kuro said:

That's utter nonsense about JFK and nuclear war, the polar opposite of the truth.  You need to do a little research.  That's actually why the military-industrial-intelligence complex killed him mainly.

Another Grassy Knoll conspiracy in the long list, though I must admit that the military is a new one on me.

How's the Roswell conspiracy shaping up for you?

12 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Another Grassy Knoll conspiracy in the long list, though I must admit that the military is a new one on me.

How's the Roswell conspiracy shaping up for you?

It's the oldest one of all actually.  Clearly you know nothing about any of this. For Kennedy's position on foreign policy I suggest you read JFK and the Unspeakable by James Douglass , for CIA involvement in his assassination you could start with on the trail of the assassins by.Jim Garrison, the only person ever to raise a prosecution in the case.