The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

Looks like the SCOTUS ruling on immunity is going to be very tight.

If some of the right-wing Justices vote againstTrump’s interests I can see the likes of Thomas proposing a compromise solution that simply kicks the can down the road.

Edited by Granny Danger

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Looks like the SCOTUS ruling on immunity is going to be very tight.

If some of the right-wing Justices vote againstTrump’s interests I can see the likes of Thomas proposing a compromise solution that simply kicks the can down the road.

Nah, total immunity is off the table ruling wise, only Alito seems partial to even entertaining it. Partial immunity with regards to Official Acts is the betting leader, and the next delay will come from the Court remanding the determination of Official Acts versus Personal Acts to a lower Court level…which will then be appealed, however that appeal would NOT pause the schedule, unlike this one.

Still a possibility of a trial resolution before November…but it’s gonna depend on if the SCOTUS rules within a month and a half or so.

Trump fined for violating his gag order in the NY case and warned he may be jailed if he continues to ignore the Court’s ruling.  Oh for a prison yard shanking.

the idea Trump will go to jail is a huge, naive distraction.  Gives him media oxygen he craves and will create even more tension in the states.  He won't go to jail, no chance.

let the guy run and be defeated again convincingly.  

I'm amazed those states thought they could stop a candidate running like Trump.  Most naive thing they could have done.  His candidature got a great boost with that ill thought out grandstanding.  There was a brief moment he was becoming yesterday's man until they gave him that boost.  

On 23/04/2024 at 23:51, TxRover said:

You might want to check your polls, BTW. In recent polls, Biden now leads Trump more often than not,

Thought I'd asked this already, but I guess not - where are you getting your polls from? Anything I've Googled comes back with Trump ahead, and the lead appears to be stretching. Doesn't mean it'll stay that way, but that does seem to be the state of play, and has been for a while.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Thought I'd asked this already, but I guess not - where are you getting your polls from? Anything I've Googled comes back with Trump ahead, and the lead appears to be stretching. Doesn't mean it'll stay that way, but that does seem to be the state of play, and has been for a while.

Here’s a solid resource:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Generally, the polls are all over, it’s too far out, but movement for the past three months has been tightening.

Are these polls adjusted to take into account weird Trump lunatics who think that pollsters are part of a vaccine/Democrat/p(a)edophile conspiracy and refuse to answer or lie?

Because Trump has out-performed the polls in the last two elections.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

Are these polls adjusted to take into account weird Trump lunatics who think that pollsters are part of a vaccine/Democrat/p(a)edophile conspiracy and refuse to answer or lie?

Because Trump has out-performed the polls in the last two elections.

538 breaks out data in various ways to rate pollster accuracy and calculate partisan lean. Their pollster rating page is an informative start: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pollster-ratings/

Trump now trying to blackmail SCOTUS.  It’s absolutely crucial that he doesn’t win in November.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2024/apr/30/trump-second-term-abortion-immigration

By the same token if he loses he’s totally fucked.

I wonder what his plan for defeat is this time. He started working on it well before the election in 2016, fervently planting the idea that "it's all rigged unless I win", culminating in the world's worst insurrection in 2021. Will it be the same again, or does he have anything more potent in mind?

Personally, I don't think he ever cared if his coup worked; he's just a Joker-type figure who wants to cause as much chaos as possible and maintain the feeling of being powerful. He has more of an pressing incentive for success this time out, though.

16 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I wonder what his plan for defeat is this time. He started working on it well before the election in 2016, fervently planting the idea that "it's all rigged unless I win", culminating in the world's worst insurrection in 2021. Will it be the same again, or does he have anything more potent in mind?

Personally, I don't think he ever cared if his coup worked; he's just a Joker-type figure who wants to cause as much chaos as possible and maintain the feeling of being powerful. He has more of a pressing incentive for success this time out, though.

The difference is this time when he loses he’s not in charge of the government machinery.  I reckon any repeat of January 6 will be met with swift retribution.

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

The difference is this time when he loses he’s not in charge of the government machinery.  I reckon any repeat of January 6 will be met with swift retribution.

Yeah, you'd imagine that events that are expected to attract groups of roaming morons and fascist militias will have much beefier security this time round.

Then again, Donnie would enjoy sacrificing his denser followers in firefights to "prove" how evil the government is.

Trump apparently mad his lawyers aren't being aggressive enough in attacking the witnesses, the judge and the jury. The insanity of this position is palpable, as it's the jury that will decide his guilt and the judge that would sentence him. He could admit the affairs without any impact on his case, but he's simply "deny, deny, deny", and can't do it.

On 30/04/2024 at 20:02, TxRover said:

Here’s a solid resource:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/polls/

Generally, the polls are all over, it’s too far out, but movement for the past three months has been tightening.

Five thirty-eight used to be my go to bit since it's been bought over by ABC it doesn't seem to have as much detail or analysis. The stuff it does have is on a podcast and I'm not wanting to spend ~45 minutes listening to stuff where previously I could have a wee look at their graphs and analysis in my own time.

5 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Five thirty-eight used to be my go to bit since it's been bought over by ABC it doesn't seem to have as much detail or analysis. The stuff it does have is on a podcast and I'm not wanting to spend ~45 minutes listening to stuff where previously I could have a wee look at their graphs and analysis in my own time.

I realise I’m getting old, but the podcast is quite often now just a bunch of kids contradicting themselves six months apart.