The Official Former President Trump thread

banana

This is nothing like 1930s Germany.

The NSDAP had close to 3 million men, many of them hardened veterans of WWI and others of the street fights and counter revolutions of the past 15 years organized by Ernst Rohm into an effective paramilitary force when he took power. The NSDAP were behind him (unlike Trump and the GOP), the country was a shambolic mess. Trump is taking over from a hugely popular leader with minimal support from his party, no real power base and a society far more deeply steeped in traditions of free speech than the UK.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/opinion/a-lie-by-any-other-name.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

We need more of this brutal honesty.

Donald Trump is a proven liar. He lies often and effortlessly. He lies about the profound and the trivial. He lies to avoid guilt and invite glory. He lies when his pride is injured and when his pomposity is challenged.

Our president is a pathological liar. Say it. Write it. Never become inured to it. And dispense with the terms of art to describe it. A lie by any other name portends the same.

Really strong speech by May in Philadelphia. Was complimentary of the GOP and Trump (as she obviously had to be) and made clear what can be achieved together, whilst also talking up the importance of NATO in standing up to Russia and how beneficial free trade can be.

GOP congress folk seemed to enjoy it, at least.

7 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Really strong speech by May in Philadelphia. Was complimentary of the GOP and Trump (as she obviously had to be) and made clear what can be achieved together, whilst also talking up the importance of NATO in standing up to Russia and how beneficial free trade can be.

The most important bit was this. Let's see how sincere it turns out to be.

This cannot mean a return to the failed policies of the past. The days of Britain and America intervening in sovereign countries in an attempt to remake the world in our own image are over. 

7 minutes ago, Sooky said:

Seemed overly Hawkish.

Seemed overly Hawkish.

I mean, she did say that the years of UK intervening in foreign nations is over. If that happens is another story, of course.

I see she tried to namecheck Reagan/Thatcher/Churchill as many times as she could, that always sends Republicans into a crazed overjoyed frenzy!

Just now, Sooky said:

I mean, she did say that the years of UK intervening in foreign nations is over. If that happens is another story, of course.

I see she tried to namecheck Reagan/Thatcher/Churchill as many times as she could, that always sends Republicans into a crazed overjoyed frenzy!

There is the often coded message of standing up for our national interests.  That is not yours or my interests but the interests of big business which has a stake in the resources and wars in other countries.

32 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

This is nothing like 1930s Germany.

The NSDAP had close to 3 million men, many of them hardened veterans of WWI and others of the street fights and counter revolutions of the past 15 years organized by Ernst Rohm into an effective paramilitary force when he took power. The NSDAP were behind him (unlike Trump and the GOP), the country was a shambolic mess. Trump is taking over from a hugely popular leader with minimal support from his party, no real power base and a society far more deeply steeped in traditions of free speech than the UK. 

No harm in remembering history and lessons learnt though. Trump seems to have a lot of support within the military and police, even the CIA if his recent speech is to be believed. How would they react if Congress stands against him, and he's impeached? 60 odd million people voted for him. If he shouts "Fix! Time for a revolution!" a lot of people would believe him, and an unpredictable number, some in power, might act on it. I agree it's unlikely, but saying that it's breaking some invented internet law to compare his tactics and propaganda style to Hitler's is silly.

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

No harm in remembering history and lessons learnt though. Trump seems to have a lot of support within the military and police, even the CIA if his recent speech is to be believed. How would they react if Congress stands against him, and he's impeached? 60 odd million people voted for him. If he shouts "Fix! Time for a revolution!" a lot of people would believe him, and an unpredictable number, some in power, might act on it. I agree it's unlikely, but saying that it's breaking some invented internet law to compare his tactics and propaganda style to Hitler's is silly.

If you believe that you'll believe anything.  You're scenario won't play out; thankfully.

6 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/26/opinion/a-lie-by-any-other-name.html?&moduleDetail=section-news-1&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&region=Footer&module=MoreInSection&version=WhatsNext&contentID=WhatsNext&pgtype=article

We need more of this brutal honesty.

Donald Trump is a proven liar. He lies often and effortlessly. He lies about the profound and the trivial. He lies to avoid guilt and invite glory. He lies when his pride is injured and when his pomposity is challenged.

Our president is a pathological liar. Say it. Write it. Never become inured to it. And dispense with the terms of art to describe it. A lie by any other name portends the same.

Truly remarkable that people keep returning to the same bias sources for their information when those sources are have been wrong again and again and again :lol:

Cultish Stockholm Syndrome. Sad!

I'd be interested in hearing what you think the State Department actually does.  90% of its remit focuses on soft programmes and has nothing to do with the military.  The vast majority of these programmes predate any military action.  And, even if they don't, removing them - as Trump proposes - is basically a case of bombing the shit out of places and then buggering off.  Fulbright Scholarship, IDP education programmes, micro scholarships, environmental projects... the Department of State's work is largely educational.

Now, the military stuff is one thing, sure, but that isn't a decision made by the DoS.  

On 1/25/2017 at 13:55, dorlomin said:

There's nothing wrong with that and that's not what he's getting at. I'm pretty sure I'm registered in two states. I wouldn't even know what to do to get off the voter roles in a previous state. Call them? The issue is that having dead people on the roles or people registered where they no longer live is how voter fraud occurs. It becomes obvious if you turn in more ballots than people on the rolls in a certain precinct. What would happen is that corrupt poll workers would cast ballots under names that aren't used.

3 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

There's nothing wrong with that and that's not what he's getting at. I'm pretty sure I'm registered in two states. I wouldn't even know what to do to get off the voter roles in a previous state. Call them? The issue is that having dead people on the roles or people registered where they no longer live is how voter fraud occurs. It becomes obvious if you turn in more ballots than people on the rolls in a certain precinct. What would happen is that corrupt poll workers would cast ballots under names that aren't used.

Yeah, of all the things that this administration has done so far, this and climate change denial are the two flimsiest targets.  Very often folk move between states for work and neglect to inform the electoral registers.  It's hardly voter fraud.

There are a lot of similarities with Hitler, and as has been pointed out, huge differences.

One interesting angle is the angry internet warriors. How many subscribe to this notion of the alt right? Difficult to tell.

Here's a local news report from a few years ago in Lee County Florida. They lined up jury records where people were excused from serving due to their status as non-citizens, and then matched those names up to voter roles in the county. They found 1,000 people who voted illegally. That's 1,000 people in a single county.

The bigger issue Trump may be trying to investigate is potential illegal voting in urban precincts where the Democrat vote is 99.9% Democrat and the Democratic Party has a long history of voter fraud going back to the Irish and Italian immigrant days. It's almost 100% that Al Franken, the Dem Minnisota Senator, was elected based on illegal felon voting. He was the deciding vote on Obamacare. This stuff can potentially matter. Using illegal immigrant claims as the motive for the investigation is obviously a more politically correct way to start the investigation.

Edited by Deplorable

1 hour ago, Deplorable said:

Paranoia and Denial?

There's a suggestion that there may not be a joint press conference following the May/Liar meeting.  I think there will be, if not it would be an incredible precedent.

(Not to be confused with a less than credible President.)