Cruises

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

The increase in popularity of cruising can see multiple ships arrive in the one place, and yes, it can get a bit mental, but you just need to take a deep breath and even in busy ports, we have managed fine. You simply cannot complain about it being busy - it’s busy because others are simply wanting to do what you are doing. If you aren’t prepared for a bit of queuing, being herded around a port a bit, then don’t go on a cruise. It will be busy, accept it and chill out.

That's a no for me. I hate queuing for anything, deliberately go anywhere out of season. Getting off a 5000 berth ship to see Petra with multiple cruise ships docking at Aqaba would be hell for me.

6 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

That's a no for me. I hate queuing for anything, deliberately go anywhere out of season. Getting off a 5000 berth ship to see Petra with multiple cruise ships docking at Aqaba would be hell for me.

You queue to check in for a flight. You queue to go through airport security. You queue to board the aircraft. You queue to get through immigration at the other end. You wait, all huddled around a baggage carousel looking for your cases. You wait in line for a taxi outside a foreign airport. You wait in line to check in at your hotel...

Holidays are an absolute basturt’.

Edited by pozbaird

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

You queue to check in for a flight. You queue to go through airport security. You queue to board the aircraft. You queue to get through immigration at the other end. You wait, all huddled around a baggage carousel looking for your cases. You wait in line for a taxi outside a foreign airport. You wait in line to check in at your hotel...

Holidays are an absolute basturt’.

I pay an extra few quid for fast track at security, take a carry on bag, arrange a private apartment, and book a taxi if needed at the other end. Anything to avoid queuing, I really hate it. And big crowds unless it's football.

Just now, welshbairn said:

I pay an extra few quid for fast track at security, take a carry on bag, arrange a private apartment, and book a taxi if needed at the other end. Anything to avoid queuing, I really hate it. And big crowds unless it's football.

Good for you. Great story.

2 hours ago, welshbairn said:

You would need more than a carry on bag if you took my partner with you.

55 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

You would need more than a carry on bag if you took my partner with you.

Indeed. Would be a squeeze to fit your partner into his Sports Direct £9.99 Kangol ‘Easyjet and Ryanair approved’ hand luggage.

Edited by pozbaird

I’ve done loads of cruises, all different routes around the Med, and I love them. Always go all inclusive which is a big perk. It’s nice to see a different place every day as well. 

The service and food has been absolutely excellent on every one I’ve been on. The entertainment can be a hit or miss though.

No interest in particularly formal cruises though. f**k wearing a suit in 35 degrees heat when you’re on holiday. Each to their own though. 

Jesus Christ that sounds bad but was that normal for that year as I've just had my first cruise, and yeah, its my first and not normally the type of holiday that would interest me.
it was fantastic / amazing,.
I took a Mediterranean cruise with the MSC Seaview it can take about 5500, I got a good deal with a big room, all inclusive drinking and food package. Out of the 7 nights there was one night where you felt a slight sway but all in all in the bedroom you would not think you were at sea.  We stopped off a shores to go and explore, think we used the schedule coaches twice, the rest of the times we just did our own thing and explore the local city or town. We took one of the ships tours which was of Vatican City and so glad we did, it was well worth it and if we did it ourselves it would have been a nightmare. bringing drink and food back on was never a problem and we were allowed to take as much drink with us on our tours when we left the cruise ship, water and juice and as much food, sandwiches, fruit etc.... You never share a restaurant unless you pick the restaurant where they do seat you at a table next to other unknown guests but its by choice and was only at 1 restaurant.

Would I do it again, hell yeah
Would I happily recommend going on a cruise, hell yeah
I suppose the experience of the ship as amazing so picking the right ship and cruise package does matter, we just struck it lucky as it all fell into place 
We started at Barcelona, Went to Ajaccio, Genoa, La Spezia, Civitavecchia, Cannes, Palma de Mallorca, and then back to Barcelona, 
It was amazing

I’m doing that exact cruise in a months time, also on MSC Seaview!

7 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I’m doing that exact cruise in a months time, also on MSC Seaview!

We did our own sightseeing but without doubt do the Vatican tour from ciccevechia. Saves time and hassle, gets you in the door quickly and you get to see the coliseum on way back.
the buffets at great, ocean view restaurant , great choice, you will be allocated a time for either the dolphin restaurant and depending how many with you, if just you or you and partner you might sit at a table with two other cruisers and you just chat away and see if you get on lolol, exciting, but you can always go to the buffets restaurants.  the shows are excellent, watch out for the four Chinese matrix act, amazing (thumb)

Never fancied a cruise either but me and Mrs Mantis are off to the fjords next month with Hurtigruten. Really looking forward to it but probably not what most people are describing here. Only 490 people capacity and the ship seems about the same dimensions as the Calmac ferry to Arran.

Stops at 34 ports from Bergen to the Russian border and back but most of them are for as little as 10 minutes and in the middle of the night 😂 Takes mail, drops off day trippers etc. Carries a few cars. No problem to us as we travel with Calmac all the time anyway. Everybody says the food is great. Looked at the likes of Fred Olsen but didn’t fancy wasting time sailing from the UK. I mean, Southampton or Liverpool ffs.

4 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Who are the best tippers?

I don't get tips or have anything to do with that side of thing really (deck officer) but if I had to take a guess I would say the Americans (as you would expect). A lot of the cabin stewards etc can do very well off tips. Their basic wages are pretty low by Western standards but they can make a lot of money in tips and a lot of these guys have massive houses with loads of land at home. Shame they all have to do such long contracts (circa 9 months) they don't get to spend much time there.

19 hours ago, EH75 said:

I work on cruise ships so probably have a slightly different perspective to most people on here! Any questions fire away.

Do you have to walk the plank if you get caught blowing smoke out of a cabin porthole, or are some ships fairly relaxed about smoking? Asking for @Melanius Mullarkey .

Edited by welshbairn

9 minutes ago, EH75 said:

Only allowed in designated area on our ships. Banned in cabins. Been some pretty serious incidents caused by discarded cigarettes. Star Princess fire springs to mind but there have been others.

Are the designated smoking areas like bus shelters or with loungers and topless ladies serving drinks?

28 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Do you have to walk the plank if you get caught blowing smoke out of a cabin porthole, or are some ships fairly relaxed about smoking? Asking for @Melanius Mullarkey .

Do you get cabins with gas coolers in them?  

27 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Are the designated smoking areas like bus shelters or with loungers and topless ladies serving drinks?

Nah just certain areas of outside decks. Topless waitresses are only in crew areas.