General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

The fun thing about replaying a lot of these old games is that people are still working on many of them in their spare time, whether it's just to improve the audiovisuals, or to add entirely new gameplay.

I like to go back to games like Quake and Doom every now and then, just to see what people have been doing with them. Very rarely does it not melt my mind. One of this year's aims is to build a new PC with one of those raytracing video cards and utterly waste it on twenty year old games.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aye, I think I might go back and do Morrowind again after this - the OpenMW stuff looks absolutely incredible.

Im a bit jealous of the people who fall so hard for a game that you dedicate twenty years to f**k about with it.

I respect the people working to take Morrowind and New Vegas (two vastly more interesting games) and put them into Skyrim and Fallout 4's engines. I'll never play them but hope they come out!

3 minutes ago, G51 said:

You never know mate, maybe Bethesda’s new Indiana  Jones game will kick some life back into that relationship!*

*almost certainly won’t 

In fairness I think it's the folks who developed Wolfenstein that are doing that game? So looking forward to eh fine gameplay and a wacky and fucked vibe.

9 minutes ago, G51 said:

Aye, I think I might go back and do Morrowind again after this - the OpenMW stuff looks absolutely incredible.

Im a bit jealous of the people who fall so hard for a game that you dedicate twenty years to f**k about with it.

There's a German lad who has been updating Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines for fourteen years now. Once a year I'll download his latest patch and play through the game again, and there's always something new he's added, and usually a few things he's moved around.

Couple of years back, I got stuck on a bug towards the end of the game and couldn't get past it, so dropped him a line to ask if it was something he knew about, or just a problem with my specific playthrough. He asked me a few questions, then got me to send him my saved game so he could try it. The next day, he released an update fixing the error. The man's a full-time chemical analyst by trade.

He's clearly an obsessive, but I'd be lying if I couldn't admit that he's just better at life than I am. I don't know how someone manages a successful professional life while also pulling off shit like that in their spare time.

5 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I respect the people working to take Morrowind and New Vegas (two vastly more interesting games) and put them into Skyrim and Fallout 4's engines. I'll never play them but hope they come out!

Yeah, that's mental. Updating existing games seems like a worthy pursuit to me, but porting them wholesale to slightly newer engines has always struck me as insanity. Yes, it obviously can be done. No, really, you don't need to prove it; we believe you.

Bethesda could probably have negated the need for a lot of that if they just released the source code for the old versions of their engine, but a cynic would suggest that there's a lot of crossover  :P

The fun thing about replaying a lot of these old games is that people are still working on many of them in their spare time, whether it's just to improve the audiovisuals, or to add entirely new gameplay.
I like to go back to games like Quake and Doom every now and then, just to see what people have been doing with them. Very rarely does it not melt my mind. One of this year's aims is to build a new PC with one of those raytracing video cards and utterly waste it on twenty year old games.
Hello!

2 hours ago, Mr X said:
11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Hello!

Aye, but you're likely wasting yours on these newfangled games that the young people play. I want to see Doom as Carmack and Romero originally envisioned.

Maybe Minecraft at a push, if I want to give it a proper workout.

I replayed Oblivion and Skyrim recently and Oblivion is a far superior RPG and still a better game in general in a lot of ways. In Oblivion you can craft your own spells and that. Joining the dark brotherhood was more organic and sinister, and the plot especially nearer the end of the DB was much better than its Skyrim counterpart. The thieves guild seemed much more grand in Oblivion as well. Shivering Isles is still IMO one of the best game expansions of all time.

Skyrim obviously has a slightly better engine, looks much prettier and has dragons in it which is cool but out of the two I had more fun with Oblivion even though I had Skyrim far more heavily modded.

27 minutes ago, GiGi said:

I replayed Oblivion and Skyrim recently and Oblivion is a far superior RPG and still a better game in general in a lot of ways. In Oblivion you can craft your own spells and that. Joining the dark brotherhood was more organic and sinister, and the plot especially nearer the end of the DB was much better than its Skyrim counterpart. The thieves guild seemed much more grand in Oblivion as well. Shivering Isles is still IMO one of the best game expansions of all time.

Skyrim obviously has a slightly better engine, looks much prettier and has dragons in it which is cool but out of the two I had more fun with Oblivion even though I had Skyrim far more heavily modded.

Lest we forget Oblivion's horse armour DLC.

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Skyrim is 10 years old :)

Exactly. You don't even need to fallow a walkthrough to get that running. Disgusting.

19 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Elder Scrolls fans seem to think that Morrowind was a better game than Oblivion, so it's interesting that folk think the games are getting worse as the technology improves.

That might be Bethesda games in general, thinking about it.

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

Lest we forget Oblivion's horse armour DLC.

And Bethesda's short-lived Creation Club or whatever it was that decided to try and make money out of the modding community. c***s.

Finally getting round to playing Days Gone. Enjoying it so far. It shows how much time I put into RDR2/it got into my head when every time I piss off away from my bike I'm pressing the up button like I would for my horse [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Finally getting round to playing Days Gone. Enjoying it so far. It shows how much time I put into RDR2/it got into my head when every time I piss off away from my bike I'm pressing the up button like I would for my horse emoji38.png

Their broken save progression has stopped me from going back since I'm on my third attempt at getting to the first populated settlement. 

25 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Finally getting round to playing Days Gone. Enjoying it so far. It shows how much time I put into RDR2/it got into my head when every time I piss off away from my bike I'm pressing the up button like I would for my horse emoji38.png

Literally just started this yesterday, good timing! 

I think I've just got into it, seems a little bit clunky but overall looking really enjoyable. 

22 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

Their broken save progression has stopped me from going back since I'm on my third attempt at getting to the first populated settlement. 

Did you lose your bike? 

3 hours ago, Stormzy said:

Did you lose your bike? 

I was on the mission after you lay your brother down at the base and go searching for the people sniffing around your gate and head to the first settlement. But, AFAIK, if you exit without finishing that mission you're taken right back to your home base and the beginning of the mission again because you don't have your bike. Again, AFAIK, this is something which has survived multiple bug fixes lol.

Anyone that's played Days Gone know about the order in which to do missions, I don't really like the layout for the menus and I'm unsure what I should be doing tbh. 
I've been taking my time to find my feet but have generally been going where it leads me (orange line) until I've got more confident with the controls. Starting to feel comfy killing loose freaks with just combat. Now I'm working through side tasks. An absolute pussy when it comes to nests though. I generally burn one then f**k off and come back later to do another [emoji38]

Yet again on Days Gone I have no idea what I should be doing. I've arrived at a camp and I now have no missions available, have slept for 2 days and wandered round the camp, I'm guessing it wants me to free roam but considering it's a game filled with zombies and finite resources I dont exactly want to aimlessly wander around on a jolly.