General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

21 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

How old is the PS4? Could just be struggling, it’s a pretty awesome game visually but would imagine it would strain any PS4 model besides the Pro.

It got a bit better when I started playing, but it's still very loud and in some of the more obviously pre-rendered bits it's quite loud. 

I could do with opening it up and reapplying the thermal paste tbh, I don't think Sony do a good job of the cooling on these things. 

14 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Has anyone played Death Stranding on PS4 and 5? And is it really worth paying the £5 to upgrade it to the PS5 version?

Can you get the Directors Cut on 4?  The Directors Cut is the massive addition with a lot of extra tech, few extra jobs etc.  Although even if it is just the performance stuff, I'd say a fiver is good

Can you get the Directors Cut on 4?  The Directors Cut is the massive addition with a lot of extra tech, few extra jobs etc.  Although even if it is just the performance stuff, I'd say a fiver is good
Cheers. Aye it's Director's Cut on PS5 for a fiver; downloading now. Started with the PS4 version and it looks incredible, I'm skeptical it can look even better than it does as a result [emoji38]

On 06/06/2022 at 21:51, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This is pretty niche news, but I know there are a few other Giant Bomb fans on here.

Jeff Gerstmann has left Giant Bomb:

https://www.giantbomb.com/articles/giant-news/1100-6230/

This news has felt inevitable since the rest of the old school crew left last year.

I like the current crew and will tune into hear about the changes tomorrow, but I fear the site doesn't have very long to go now.

Might be what it's needed as I found the site had become quite stale over the last few years. I stopped listening to the bombcast a long time ago and when Vinny, Brad and Alex left to do their own thing I stopped going to the site completely. It was hard to tell what the site even was really since then.

I do like the vast majority of the people involved now so will probably give it another go.

I've spent the best part of the past two and a half hours taking apart my PS4 and applying new thermal paste to try and make it not go at max fan speed when there's too many trees in Dirt Rally 2 or when you're in the menus in God of War. Despite not actually being able to actually lift the motherboard up because I couldn't disconnect the power supply (at either end) it is currently turned on, silent and... working

All hail Japanese consumer electronics. And blind luck, clearly.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've spent the best part of the past two and a half hours taking apart my PS4 and applying new thermal paste to try and make it not go at max fan speed when there's too many trees in Dirt Rally 2 or when you're in the menus in God of War. Despite not actually being able to actually lift the motherboard up because I couldn't disconnect the power supply (at either end) it is currently turned on, silent and... working

I just watched a video from a guy who buys non-functional PCs for a couple of quid, cleans them up, changes the thermal paste, and most of the time they don't need anything else done to make them work. I guess a lot of people are kinda happy to have the excuse to buy themselves a new machine and don't look into it much.

It used to be broken CD/DVD drives with games consoles - people chucking them out because they wouldn't read discs anymore. Wee bit of grease on the lens rails and they'd start working again just fine.

4 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I just watched a video from a guy who buys non-functional PCs for a couple of quid, cleans them up, changes the thermal paste, and most of the time they don't need anything else done to make them work. I guess a lot of people are kinda happy to have the excuse to buy themselves a new machine and don't look into it much.

It used to be broken CD/DVD drives with games consoles - people chucking them out because they wouldn't read discs anymore. Wee bit of grease on the lens rails and they'd start working again just fine.

32 screws holding the metal plate onto the motherboard. £300 for a new console would have been a worthwhile price to pay to avoid the stress.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

32 screws holding the metal plate onto the motherboard. £300 for a new console would have been a worthwhile price to pay to avoid the stress.

Just an absolute arseache when you start doing something like that, then realise that the screws aren't all the same length/width/thread  :angry:

Just now, BFTD said:

Just an absolute arseache when you start doing something like that, then realise that the screws aren't all the same length/width/thread  :angry:

I kept them separated once I'd taken them out but I still had to reset the video to check.

I've not put a disc in yet there may yet be screaming

39 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How are you finding the game? 

I struggled in the first stage to get into it but got hooked very quickly after that. 

4 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I struggled in the first stage to get into it but got hooked very quickly after that. 

God of War? I'm still going. It's a bit better than when I complained about it but so far at least the characterisation is making up for the menus and the gameplay.

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

God of War? I'm still going. It's a bit better than when I complained about it but so far at least the characterisation is making up for the menus and the gameplay.

The mini map drove me insane. Gameplay gets better when you're guy has all the stats imo. 

Just now, Albus Bulbasaur said:

The mini map drove me insane. Gameplay gets better when you're guy has all the stats imo. 

I'm not even trying to figure out where I am yet (which isn't helping). The old God of Wars were completely linear and I don't know how well the switch works.

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm not even trying to figure out where I am yet (which isn't helping). The old God of Wars were completely linear and I don't know how well the switch works.

Yeah I get that, I only played some of the older ones ages ago so can't compare too much but I'd say this one isn't linear but it's probably as close to as an open world game gives you, I feel like the map is just 2 paths the whole time whereas one is just loot and side missions and the other is the story way to go, not a game that would be easy to grab every side part alongside the main stuff, plenty of times I ended up going too far up a path that I couldn't easily go back for the sidey stuff. Not a game you can easily get lost exploring really. 

On 10/06/2022 at 20:43, Miguel Sanchez said:

Anyone played God of War? I've just tried it there and my PS4 Pro is the loudest I've ever heard it. Even louder than the times where I'd die in Ace Combat 7 and the fan would glitch. Like unplayable levels of noise. Constant too, not like it's going up or down or different in menus or anything.

yes My PS4 goes a bit hard. The game is also too fucking hard.

5 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

5 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

5 hours ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I can't get past one of the first bits. the game is fucking solid.