General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

2 hours ago, weirdcal said:

Oh my

A wee bit disappointed. Although 3D all stars should be decent, I sorely wanted a full remaster of Mario 64.

I can live without ever playing Sunshine again as it was decent, nothing more. I'd have given it up for the full works on Mario 64.

Edited by djchapsticks

A wee bit disappointed. Although 3D all stars should be decent, I sorely wanted a full remaster of Mario 64.
I can live without ever playing Sunshine again as it was decent, nothing more. I'd have given it up for the full works on Mario 64.
Mario kart live looks interesting

7 hours ago, weirdcal said:
8 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Mario kart live looks interesting

Yeah. Bit like the Labo for me though, too gimmicky. Maybe if you have young kids. But it's one of those things that you'd potentially spend hours setting up and the wee shits would be bored with it in 10 mins and go watch someone else playing it on YouTube. :lol:

Yeah. Bit like the Labo for me though, too gimmicky. Maybe if you have young kids. But it's one of those things that you'd potentially spend hours setting up and the wee shits would be bored with it in 10 mins and go watch someone else playing it on YouTube. [emoji38]
I have a Mario daft 5 year old, who loves kart, has the gravity rc Mario kart toy, he went bananas seeing that

4 minutes ago, weirdcal said:
7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:
Yeah. Bit like the Labo for me though, too gimmicky. Maybe if you have young kids. But it's one of those things that you'd potentially spend hours setting up and the wee shits would be bored with it in 10 mins and go watch someone else playing it on YouTube. emoji38.png

I have a Mario daft 5 year old, who loves kart, has the gravity rc Mario kart toy, he went bananas seeing that

Fair play, enjoy watching the YouTube videos with him. ;) 

Add a pregnancy test to the list of things that can run Doom.

The one thing that truly unites us as a species is our collective desire to see Doom played on everything. The universe exists solely to create more and more platforms for Doom to be played on now. And thanks to Foone Turing, who tinkers with obscure software and hardware, we now know that pregnancy tests can play Doom. With a bit of fiddling.

Over the weekend, Turing showed off a gif of Doom rendered on a pregnancy test's display. Turing wasn't actually playing anything, it was just a video, but only a day later Doom finally made the leap to a new platform, undoubtedly changing the world forever.

The tiny, monochrome display means that what you actually see is more like the suggestion of Doom. There are walls, floors, doors—wee pixelated corridors that could, I guess, be Doom. When an Imp gets real close, however, it's unmistakable. It's impressive.

Pregnancy tests are complex. Earlier, Turing dissected one and broke down what they found inside, including an 8-bit microcontroller comparable to what you would have found inside early PCs.

"This thing is probably faster at number crunching and basic I/O than the CPU used in the original IBM PC," said Turing, "and this one is in something you pee on and throw away."

The actual bit that tests if you're pregnant or not is just a paper strip that looks like a plain old pregnancy test, so the sole purpose of all this tech seems to be to read the strip and tell you the result. And then you toss it out. It's a tiny disposable computer.

"It's a scam, basically," Turing said, echoing the sentiments of the tweet that inspired them to take a pregnancy test apart. As someone who will never have to pee on a stick to see if I'm pregnant, I'm hesitant to write off every digital kit as nonsense. For the visually impaired, for instance, an LED display is going to be an improvement over a tiny line. An audio component, which neither of these tests had, would perhaps be even better.

Peeing on a wee computer and then tossing it out does seem pretty wasteful, and it doesn't look like there's a good reason, other than profit, for why the strips can't be just replaced so the device can be used again.

The microcontroller can't be reprogrammed and so can't be used to actually run Doom on its own, so don't go down to the shops and pick yourself up a box of tests in the hopes of starting a gaming session. Turing's going to be detailing how they got it to work soon. In an earlier thread, after they'd managed to get the video working, they said they expected it to be tricky.

On 16/09/2020 at 22:16, G51 said:

Decided to pick up AC: Origins there and play it and I've never been so infuriated with the ending to a game in my life. It made absolutely no sense.

I can't even remember it. Is it them splitting up and focusing on the Brotherhood? The DLCs are pretty decent btw.

4 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I can't even remember it. Is it them splitting up and focusing on the Brotherhood? The DLCs are pretty decent btw.

Spoiler

That's it aye. It's so fucking stupid. You spend the whole game trying to get justice for your bairn, then Aya turns round and patches you completely out of nowhere. It's cold as hell.

6 minutes ago, G51 said:
  Hide contents

That's it aye. It's so fucking stupid. You spend the whole game trying to get justice for your bairn, then Aya turns round and patches you completely out of nowhere. It's cold as hell.

I'll be honest I barely focused on the story after a while. I love exploring the map, enjoying how campy it all is, and living in the world but the actual story rarely ever grabs me. 😅

The last AC I played was the pirate one. I was also enjoying being a Pirate so much I don't think I finished it. I do have the next one in the house still in the cellophane. I am a bit OCD with things so I feel I need to continue the story despite being about 7 years behind

The last AC I played was the pirate one. I was also enjoying being a Pirate so much I don't think I finished it. I do have the next one in the house still in the cellophane. I am a bit OCD with things so I feel I need to continue the story despite being about 7 years behind

Origins is a soft reboot so you’d probably be mostly fine. I completed that and Odyssey before I finished Syndicate and I don’t think I missed anything that I couldn’t work out in a minute.