General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

On 03/02/2021 at 08:00, SweeperDee said:

With or without DLC?

With I assume; it's the GOTY edition.

On 03/02/2021 at 09:39, NotThePars said:

Dial down your gameplay expectations in the context of those first two and you’ll have a whale of a time

I've only managed two or three hours so far and I don't have a clue as to what in doing!

Much like when I first had a shot on God Of War (which, incidentally, I think has ruined a lot of games for me with how much I enjoyed it) there's a steep learning curve with all the content.

I also had a few hours on AC: Origins. The first AC I've played in years. I might come back to it once I've played through TW3 but I think I might just chuck it all together. The enjoyment I used to get from AC is gone. A store trying to get you to buy stuff for the actual game, photos from other players clogging up the map, and "events". Piss off.

22 minutes ago, yoda said:

With I assume; it's the GOTY edition.

I've only managed two or three hours so far and I don't have a clue as to what in doing!

Much like when I first had a shot on God Of War (which, incidentally, I think has ruined a lot of games for me with how much I enjoyed it) there's a steep learning curve with all the content.

I also had a few hours on AC: Origins. The first AC I've played in years. I might come back to it once I've played through TW3 but I think I might just chuck it all together. The enjoyment I used to get from AC is gone. A store trying to get you to buy stuff for the actual game, photos from other players clogging up the map, and "events". Piss off.

Qwen (or whatever the magical shield sign is) and dodge and you're pretty much good for the entire game.

The Witcher was something I bounced off of 3 times but the one time I committed to it I got through the entire game and one of the DLCs and the writing is top notch. The gameplay is never going to be more than fine tbh.

AC Origins was the same for me haha. I played it on release and didn't touch it again for two years until I finished Odyssey where I went back to it and battered through it in a fortnight or so. I think the setting is genuinely really good and the gameplay is a lot of fun but it's Ubisoft at the end of the day which means a lot of bad writing and filler on the map. I did think the filler in that game was among the best I've played in a Ubi game.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-06-five-years-later-warner-bros-gets-its-middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor-nemesis-system-patent this whole thing seems deeply stupid. The article itself says patents are frequently ignored and there's multiple games which operate on something similar to Shadow of Mordor. Crusader Kings being one.

If you search for "game patents" on YouTube, there are a slew of videos about the bizarre mechanics that publishers have tried (and sometimes succeeded) to patent.

Brings back memories of the days when Stuart "Wings Over Scotland" Campbell would trawl the internet for amateur developers who'd (in his opinion) ripped off his old mates at Sensible Software and subject them to a barrage of bitter invective.

12 minutes ago, BFTD said:

If you search for "game patents" on YouTube, there are a slew of videos about the bizarre mechanics that publishers have tried (and sometimes succeeded) to patent.

Brings back memories of the days when Stuart "Wings Over Scotland" Campbell would trawl the internet for amateur developers who'd (in his opinion) ripped off his old mates at Sensible Software and subject them to a barrage of bitter invective.

On another forum I saw someone say that the reason you never got mini games in loading screens was because Bandai Namco patented it. Not sure if it's true but given loading times are being virtually scrubbed out by the new gen consoles then ultimately you have to say "f**k you!"

Edited by NotThePars

21 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

On another forum I saw someone say that the reason you never got mini games in loading screens was because Bandai Namco patented it. Not sure if it's true but given loading times are being virtually scrubbed out by the new gen consoles then ultimately you have to say "f**k you!"

Yeah, I saw that on a YouTube video.

You could understand it if, by keeping that to themselves, the patent owner was somehow gaining a tangible advantage for their own games. But they objectively aren't; nobody's looking at a game and thinking, "what, no mini games on loading screens? f**k that, I'm buying a Bandai Namco game!"

What's everyones ideal game length? I'm generally in the 6 to 15 hour range for just beating the game i.e. the mandatory stuff. No limit really on doing extra stuff like sidequests, finding secrets/collectables & dlc etc if I'm so inclined with the game.

Perfectly happy with less for arcade style games & retro stuff whether actual retro or retro style modern stuff.

GTA V sold more copies last year than any year since 2013.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-02-09-grand-theft-auto-5-has-now-sold-140m-copies

It's incredible how many copies GTA V continues to sell, especially with PS5 and Xbox X/S versions due out soon.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

What's everyones ideal game length? I'm generally in the 6 to 15 hour range for just beating the game i.e. the mandatory stuff. No limit really on doing extra stuff like sidequests, finding secrets/collectables & dlc etc if I'm so inclined with the game.

Perfectly happy with less for arcade style games & retro stuff whether actual retro or retro style modern stuff.

Depends on the type of game. Any FPS should be around 6 hours whereas a good RPG around 30-40 for the main quest and some extras whether that's a JRPG or western action-RPGs for example.

2 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Depends what you are doing in the main quest, 

Take miles morales for example, yeah a short game given its full price almost, however for me it still felt a really good game as the main mission could be mixed with the side quests and collectables, but the main missions were varied and quite intense so you never felt bored etc

Depends on the type of game. Any FPS should be around 6 hours whereas a good RPG around 30-40 for the main quest and some extras whether that's a JRPG or western action-RPGs for example.
6 hours? I'd be absolutely fizzing forking out £50 for 6 hours worth of story. I remember Kane and Lynch got slated for it's short story years ago. Think it was around 5 hours. An enjoyable game but far too short.

It depends on the game tbh. I want at least double figures but if I get right into a game I'll happily do the side quests and collectables. I was well over 100 hours on RDR2 but I wouldn't do or want that for every game.

For a linear game around 12/15 hours is what I'd hope for.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

6 hours? I'd be absolutely fizzing forking out £50 for 6 hours worth of story. I remember Kane and Lynch got slated for it's short story years ago. Think it was around 5 hours. An enjoyable game but far too short.

It depends on the game tbh. I want at least double figures but if I get right into a game I'll happily do the side quests and collectables. I was well over 100 hours on RDR2 but I wouldn't do or want that for every game.

For a linear game around 12/15 hours is what I'd hope for.

Far too many games have so much unnecessary padding in an attempt to justify an inflated price. I would say 6-8 hours is a good length for an FPS especially since they all come with multiplayer and other modes anyway. 

Halo, Cod and Titanfall 2 (probably the go to FPS shooters) all clock in at 6-8 hours according to HowLongToBeat with Gears, Wolfenstein, and Doom 2016 going slightly longer.

I wouldn't disagree with a linear game generally going around 12/15 hours. That's what partially makes The Last of Us much better than its sequel.