General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

@yoda you got any tips for understanding the menus in Horizon Zero Dawn?

It took me a few hours to get the grasp of them as they're a bit confusing to start with. 

So, basically, in short. I've not really got any tips other than you eventually get used to them!  

And I understand that this is not at all helpful.

Edited by yoda

1 hour ago, yoda said:

It took me a few hours to get the grasp of them as they're a bit confusing to start with. 

So, basically, in short. I've not really got any tips other than you eventually get used to them!  

And I understand that this is not at all helpful.

I googled "aloy gif" and this was the first result with text

GIFs

16 hours ago, NotThePars said:

What's your issue? Don't say "all of it" or I can't help.

Which skills are wo- which skills aren't worth buying?

Which weapons should I focus on buying/obtaining, and what's the best way to modify them? Do I need to change the modifications based on which enemies I'm encountering?

Same question for outfits.

I am this far into the game.

Which skills are wo- which skills aren't worth buying?
Which weapons should I focus on buying/obtaining, and what's the best way to modify them? Do I need to change the modifications based on which enemies I'm encountering?
Same question for outfits.
I am this far into the game.

The sharp shot bow is an essential IMO. What other weapons you should use depend on preference but I used the normal hunter’s bow and the sharp shot as standard and then varied between the sling and either of the tripcaster or the one that shoots traps to lock down machines. A lot of the tougher machines have specific weaknesses that depend on what you’re using I think.

I’ll get back to you skills wise when I can log on haha. I think you can unlock them all relatively quickly though. Just go with whatever looks good to you I think it depends on playtime.

IIRC I think tearblast ammo is the harder to acquire but is good shit

45 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

The sharp shot bow is an essential IMO. What other weapons you should use depend on preference but I used the normal hunter’s bow and the sharp shot as standard and then varied between the sling and either of the tripcaster or the one that shoots traps to lock down machines. A lot of the tougher machines have specific weaknesses that depend on what you’re using I think.

I’ll get back to you skills wise when I can log on haha. I think you can unlock them all relatively quickly though. Just go with whatever looks good to you I think it depends on playtime.

IIRC I think tearblast ammo is the harder to acquire but is good shit

How long does it take before I understand what's going on? My quests are taking me to places where people with stupid names say more people with stupid names have done something and something's going on but by the time I get to another one I don't remember who/what any of them are.

16 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

How long does it take before I understand what's going on? My quests are taking me to places where people with stupid names say more people with stupid names have done something and something's going on but by the time I get to another one I don't remember who/what any of them are.

I don't think it was difficult to follow at all. Broadly 3/4s of the way through you learn what destroyed the planet but the rest is pretty simple to get.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

I don't think it was difficult to follow at all. Broadly 3/4s of the way through you learn what destroyed the planet but the rest is pretty simple to get.

I'm following the plot fine, it's all the additional characters/tribes/gameplay things that usually trip me up in open world games. I got as far as Caldrons and Corrupted Zones last night and with everything new I'm just throwing myself into them and hoping I don't die.

I think my problem isn't so much that I'm struggling to follow it, I just feel as if I've missed something prominent gameplay-wise. I'm sure I'll get there. 

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I'm following the plot fine, it's all the additional characters/tribes/gameplay things that usually trip me up in open world games. I got as far as Caldrons and Corrupted Zones last night and with everything new I'm just throwing myself into them and hoping I don't die.

I think my problem isn't so much that I'm struggling to follow it, I just feel as if I've missed something prominent gameplay-wise. I'm sure I'll get there. 

It reminded me of The Witcher a bit in that there's the option there to make the combat deeper by planning your fights ahead of time and taking your time but I didn't have any trouble brute forcing most of the game's enemy and winning everything in a battle of attrition. Which is probably a shite way to play but it wasn't difficult to do.

Just now, NotThePars said:

It reminded me of The Witcher a bit in that there's the option there to make the combat deeper by planning your fights ahead of time and taking your time but I didn't have any trouble brute forcing most of the game's enemy and winning everything in a battle of attrition. Which is probably a shite way to play but it wasn't difficult to do.

I found some Big Boys last night and was lining up like three of the tripwires to bait them into. Also discovered the arrows that explode and blow bits of armour off, that was cool. 

2 hours ago, Pato said:

Can anyone help me track down a game - it was space based and sort of 16bit looking visuals and it was mostly from the bridge of a spaceship. I don't have much else to go on than that, the thing about it being mainly based on the bridge of the ship was the thing I remember. Fairly recently released. Ring any bells?

R-Type.

Spoiler

Sorry, old meme from before memes existed. Will be amazed if anyone remembers where that came from.

4 hours ago, Pato said:

Can anyone help me track down a game - it was space based and sort of 16bit looking visuals and it was mostly from the bridge of a spaceship. I don't have much else to go on than that, the thing about it being mainly based on the bridge of the ship was the thing I remember. Fairly recently released. Ring any bells?

FTL?

39 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

FTL?

Going to kick myself if that's right. That's one of my favourite games of all time.

I was visualising something like Elite; a first-person view of space from the captain's chair.