General nonsense gaming edition.

19QOS19

5 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

The Looming killswitch lurking in aging playstation hardware

Shit like this is why emulation is necessary & important for preservation.

I saw this a few weeks ago.

A CMOS battery that will fail in about 20 years and something thats only an issue if the PSN servers get switched off seems like a bit of a non-story to me. 

13 hours ago, Mr X said:

I saw this a few weeks ago.

A CMOS battery that will fail in about 20 years and something thats only an issue if the PSN servers get switched off seems like a bit of a non-story to me. 

Quite. ALL OF YOUR GAMES WILL SOON BE UNPLAYABLE...unless you change the battery and set the timer. 

Completed The Last of Us Part 2 last night. Played it on release but wasn't what I was needing at the time.

Have to admit, despite the controversy and some false claims about trans characters, that game is pretty good. There's some issues regarding story telling but I enjoyed it in the structure they used. Gameplay wise, it is fantastic.

I've seen a lot of arguments about "it's not fun". I think there is fun to be found in this game, each to their own. But I don't have an issue with games not being 'fun', I appreciated Naughty Dog being given the license to be gritty and explore unorthodox themes for a game.

I've not played it yet but I will get round to it. What was the issue everyone was distraught about when it was released?

Due to the fandom around the first game, it appears to be not to everyone's liking really. Got review bombed quite hard. It says a lot other games won't do, even has a character getting barebacked! (I couldn't think of another game I've seen that happen in as much detail)

I've not played it yet but I will get round to it. What was the issue everyone was distraught about when it was released?

Doing my best to avoid spoilers - the way one the character's story went early on pissed off a lot of people apparently.

3 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

My copy of Returnal turned up a day early.  

4 hour Day 1 patch.  Modern gaming is rubbish.

Interesting to hear how it is.  Seems the best fit for the new tech on the PS5, although hearing it described, it sounds like something I won't enjoy

Since @NotThePars regularly says Titanfall is good: Why Titanfall 2 Player Counts Are Suddenly Hitting New Highs on Steam - IGN

The subreddit is full of memes I don't understand, but it looks like everyone who's ever played the game is going to be doing that again this Saturday: Titanfall (reddit.com)

Edited by Miguel Sanchez

1 hour ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Since @NotThePars regularly says Titanfall is good: Why Titanfall 2 Player Counts Are Suddenly Hitting New Highs on Steam - IGN

The subreddit is full of memes I don't understand, but it looks like everyone who's ever played the game is going to be doing that again this Saturday: Titanfall (reddit.com)

Titanfall 2 campaign was utterly fantastic i thought, got it free on ps plus, tried multiplayer and didn't have a clue, got smashed by extreme sweaties who were so much better lol

5 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Titanfall 2 campaign was utterly fantastic i thought, got it free on ps plus, tried multiplayer and didn't have a clue, got smashed by extreme sweaties who were so much better lol

I've no played the multi. Cba with multiplayer really anymore in anything but the campaign is superb. One of the best by a distance. Got to respect a game which does a time travel level as a flex and never brings it up again.

10 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I've no played the multi. Cba with multiplayer really anymore in anything but the campaign is superb. One of the best by a distance. Got to respect a game which does a time travel level as a flex and never brings it up again.

Aye that level was utterly immense, it felt so seemless how you jumped between timeframes, i also liked the level that you were out of your titan for most of it, again both in and out of the titan felt flawless, could have done the campaign either way it was that good

15 hours ago, 54_and_counting said:

I played one match of the multiplayer since you needed to for the trophies. I spent the entire time shooting bots and finished 2nd on my team as we won the match. Great fun.

13 hours ago, Tri-TON said:
On 29/04/2021 at 11:52, KnightswoodBear said:
My copy of Returnal turned up a day early.  
4 hour Day 1 patch.  Modern gaming is rubbish.

I'd argue that modern gaming goes hand in hand with modern internet!

I would strongly disagree and agree at the same time.

Massive day 1 patches are a pain in the arse and if modern gaming means online multiplayer then absolutely definitely not!

However, without the internet we wouldnt have user mods or future patches and upgrades

I would strongly disagree and agree at the same time.
Massive day 1 patches are a pain in the arse and if modern gaming means online multiplayer then absolutely definitely not!
However, without the internet we wouldnt have user mods or future patches and upgrades
That's a fair enough point. But going back to the OP about Returnal. I just upgraded to a pretty good package on Thursday. It was a 15GB patch that took me about 6 mins. If 15GB is taking 4 hours I'd be getting a new package immediately.