Losing at life - The P&B Definition

sjc

13 minutes ago, throbber said:

I suppose so, it has some perks and is enjoyable when the weather is good. My back and arms were getting hurt when I was only 26 though so I needed to really think about what I was doing as old age could set in and I would have nothing to fall back on so going back to uni seemed like a good idea.

What do you do now throbber? 

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do civil engineering at uni, not graduated yet so will need to wait a couple years to let you know if i made the right decision! Being a student in my late 20's and sending my Mrs out to work whilst I sit around on here most days has certainly been fun though.

56 minutes ago, throbber said:

I do civil engineering at uni, not graduated yet so will need to wait a couple years to let you know if i made the right decision! Being a student in my late 20's and sending my Mrs out to work whilst I sit around on here most days has certainly been fun though.

Are you planning on going into consultancy or contracting, Throbber?

Are you planning on going into consultancy or contracting, Throbber?

Probably contracting, don't really want to work on an office really plus my experience would be more suited to contracting. Applied for a few graduate positions so will see what I can get.

8 minutes ago, throbber said:

Probably contracting, don't really want to work on an office really plus my experience would be more suited to contracting. Applied for a few graduate positions so will see what I can get.

You will once you make it to/past Senior Engineer mate.....

I've sent a selection of your posts on here to all the major civil engineering employers in Scotland. They deserve to know.

I take my life very seriously Chris I just come on here to let off steam.

As long as I get a start somewhere I will happily plod away for the rest of my life, not overly ambitious with what I want to do if I'm honest.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I've sent a selection of your posts on here to all the major civil engineering employers in Scotland. They deserve to know.

The industry's full of idiots, bullies, mentally deranged psychopaths and one or two normal human beings........Throbber will fit right in.

Lots of chat about degrees on here.

I think that most employers encourage and give more opportunities to people with degrees and sometimes ignore more suitable candidates with more actual relevant working experience. There's no doubt that universities and being able to get a degree has been made a hell of a lot easier than it used to be. 

In jobs that require very specific skillsets like r&d or design or high level civil engineering yes a degree is essential and the system works. What annoys me is when companies have graduate recruitment where they would employ a graduate with no relevant experience who is obviously just using it as a stepping stone ahead of a school leaver who really wants to get on and would be loyal.

End result you get high turnover and disgruntled lower placed staff who never get the same chances. It's not losing at life or being a jealous arsehole it's a silly corrupt system that isn't benefitting individuals or companies.

There's simply too many people at university for the amount of jobs out there.

It's interesting that graduates would bring this 'uni of life' up out of the blue. Seems like an arsey thing to say also.

Archived