Montrose v Clyde

Higgins has been poor in the last few games, flynn is much better at bringing players into the game. 

I would honestly drop Mcniff Higgins and mclaughlin to the bench 

To be honest, Higgins has been poor for a lot longer than the last few weeks.

For a attacking player he contributes very little even in games in which we are dominant.

McLaughlin has went backwards in the last few weeks but like the dreadful McNiff we have no alternatives in those positions

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, David W said:
  1. How many points has he lost us by vanishing completely over the past couple of seasons?
  2. The last two weekends he's contributed zero. 
  3. A few tap-ins (and thats what they were) means nothing when he's costing us points elsewhere.
  4. He's missed three decent chances in that time that would've netted us more points.
  5. He's an attacking midfielder with one assist.
  6. And I can't even remember him setting up chances that have been missed, because there haven't been any.
  7. He doesn't cover ground quickly enough despite this new found fitness.
  1. A lot. That can't be disputed. I'd have got rid of him in the summer, I think I said as much on here. But, like McLaughlin, whose lethargy was a drag last season, he's improved his fitness and has, on occasion, been allowed to be useful this season.
  2. Not in dispute.
  3. One could downplay the contribution of Peter MacDonald by terming some of his goals 'tap-ins'. I don't think Higgins, this season, has cost us points in any real sense. Once again, why the emphasis is suddenly on his contribution, over that of Gormley, for example, or McNiff, I don't know. The unfairness is also in taking the point up with the player and not the manager. There has only been one league match in which a goal(s) from Higgins hasn't operated, arithmetically, to gain us a point(s) - Elgin away. Using your own flippant logic, Higgins has won us eight points this season. Without which, by the way, we would be where...? Joint second bottom! And having a very bad season indeed.
  4. Peaso has missed more in the same time. Not to say that his misses would've changed the results. Nonetheless, one could apply the same logic to trash him. And sweeten the point by saying: 'And he's supposed to a striker, too!'. This is all to say nothing about Gormley...
  5. Very selective fact picking, again. He's largely been an attacking midfielder, yes. He's also been a forward. In view of Gormley's meagre contribution, exclusively as a forward, I'm delighted with 7 from Higgins.
  6. Not true, in point of fact. Various highlights on the OS show that up. Have a watch. But even if it was, you're well into invidious waters by this point.
  7. I'd like it if he was quicker, if that's all you mean. I'd also like it if Peaso, Gormley, McLaughlin, McNiff, Smith, Perry etc were quicker, that said.

Not suprised we got beat yesterday. We looked tired 2nd half at El Central and 2nd half midweek but BF needs to find us a way to play away from home,Called it a while back that we dont have a ugly way of winning or to grind out a result at shitehole's on the road,At home we'll beat anyone with broadwood suiting out passing game, Wish we could wheel a paddy Keogh or Marko back in to places like yesterday,Arbroath or Annan n so on and fight our way to three points...

Re Higgins. He frustrated me last season but hes defo improved but should be doing better for level hes played at ,Immense during week in cup but wasnt there yesterday..

Finially No way we were winning league with new and existing injuries...ĺ

Not suprised we got beat yesterday. We looked tired 2nd half at El Central and 2nd half midweek but BF needs to find us a way to play away from home,Called it a while back that we dont have a ugly way of winning or to grind out a result at shitehole's on the road,At home we'll beat anyone with broadwood suiting out passing game, Wish we could wheel a paddy Keogh or Marko back in to places like yesterday,Arbroath or Annan n so on and fight our way to three points...

Re Higgins. He frustrated me last season but hes defo improved but should be doing better for level hes played at ,Immense during week in cup but wasnt there yesterday..

Finially No way we were winning league with new and existing injuries...ĺ

I agree with most of what you say but I've no idea how you can say that Higgins was immense during the week. He was once again, anonymous.

The injuries to two of our most important players has seriously damaged our league push. However, or performances in our most recent away matches against the relegation fodder have been terrible. I include our victory against Edinburgh, in which Higgins scored the winner.

Bit harsh on Higgins has scored a good few important goals no he isn't the type to run about closing defenders but think he has had a good season so far
McNiff has taken over from Johnston as the whipping boy he hasn't had the best of season 's but our poor away record isn't down to him alone what about Linton this season he has been good in games in others been awful yes the injuries been unlucky but we have players who should be beating Montrose and Cowdenbeath as for being tired that's an excuse trotted out when bad results come along Edinburgh have played more games than us over the last couple of weeks and still won in Saturday
And even if that was the case why didn't BF start Tiffoney or Ferguson to freshen team up
We need to start wining games simple as that no excuses

People have to accept that everything has a knock on effect. The injuries themselves are not an excuse for our inconsistent form however, the necessary reshuffling of the team has had the larger detriment on our performance. In losing Lowdon, Johnston, Easton and Flynn we have removed four players who like to have the ball at their feet and burst forward. Regardless of squad size any club would miss that. Since then we have, partly through necessity, reverted to long ball football far more often and without a tall striker, who’s good in the air, we were always going to struggle doing that.

McLaughlin got rave reviews at the start of the season because he was able to play the game that suited him. Essentially as a midfield sweeper, covering in behind and playing simple passes to link up a midfield with talented forward-going players like Easton and Flynn in it. Now, though Miller has impressed since he came in, he wants to sit deep just as McLaughlin does. That makes it so much easier for opposition midfielders to get on top of them and force us into playing the ball long when under pressure.

Add in changing from fullbacks like Lowdon and Johnston, who’s primary focus is attacking, not defending, to McNeil and McNiff and we have lost another option for going forward. For all people criticised Johnston, as an example, he and McNeil (in midfield at the time) tore Albion Rovers apart in the second half of the league cup game earlier in the season. Why? Because Lowdon had caused Rovers all sorts of problems in the first half so their team became lopsided trying to compensate and we then exploited the opposite wing. Johnston is the player who suffered most from Lowdon’s injury as opposition teams then knew he was our only defender capable of stepping forward our of defence. And we don't even have him now.

There’s no denying he’s been very unlucky with injuries but the risk Ferguson took was not going with a small squad but, choosing a squad who could only play one way. Last season at a time like this, we’d have put Marsh in midfield behind the strikers, who could challenge physically with the opposition and win headers for others to feed off. We now have no player like Marsh, or even one like Watson (a striker capable of running in behind and pulling defenders out of position), and are suffering for it.

It’s no wonder Higgins form has dropped when the service he’s getting has completely changed

2 hours ago, Jaggy Snake said:

People have to accept that everything has a knock on effect. The injuries themselves are not an excuse for our inconsistent form however, the necessary reshuffling of the team has had the larger detriment on our performance. In losing Lowdon, Johnston, Easton and Flynn we have removed four players who like to have the ball at their feet and burst forward. Regardless of squad size any club would miss that. Since then we have, partly through necessity, reverted to long ball football far more often and without a tall striker, who’s good in the air, we were always going to struggle doing that.

McLaughlin got rave reviews at the start of the season because he was able to play the game that suited him. Essentially as a midfield sweeper, covering in behind and playing simple passes to link up a midfield with talented forward-going players like Easton and Flynn in it. Now, though Miller has impressed since he came in, he wants to sit deep just as McLaughlin does. That makes it so much easier for opposition midfielders to get on top of them and force us into playing the ball long when under pressure.

Add in changing from fullbacks like Lowdon and Johnston, who’s primary focus is attacking, not defending, to McNeil and McNiff and we have lost another option for going forward. For all people criticised Johnston, as an example, he and McNeil (in midfield at the time) tore Albion Rovers apart in the second half of the league cup game earlier in the season. Why? Because Lowdon had caused Rovers all sorts of problems in the first half so their team became lopsided trying to compensate and we then exploited the opposite wing. Johnston is the player who suffered most from Lowdon’s injury as opposition teams then knew he was our only defender capable of stepping forward our of defence. And we don't even have him now.

There’s no denying he’s been very unlucky with injuries but the risk Ferguson took was not going with a small squad but, choosing a squad who could only play one way. Last season at a time like this, we’d have put Marsh in midfield behind the strikers, who could challenge physically with the opposition and win headers for others to feed off. We now have no player like Marsh, or even one like Watson (a striker capable of running in behind and pulling defenders out of position), and are suffering for it.

It’s no wonder Higgins form has dropped when the service he’s getting has completely changed

Agree re Miller and McLaughlin. Nobody's made the point until now, but they must have thought as much. McLaughlin and Linton have given us the best engine room performance this season as a combo. And, decent a player as Miller obviously is, there's no sense in having him in there only to replicate McLaughlin's role. Why we signed Miller, I still don't know.

The rest I'd more or less go along with too. You'll have to say I have it in for him, but the emphasis you put on Johnston's contribution, I can't agree with. Rovers game: yes, absolutely; he done alright. But pick any other. He's offered absolutely nothing positive but one assist from (very) deep. The rest of the time, he's shipping goals. He can't beat his man, he can't defend. He can barely keep possession. Stirling Albion fans have a fairly unanimous view of him and they're not wrong. Connectedly, there's a diminution of McNeil's contribution in what you say. Even when playing as a full-back without Johnston on the pitch, we get more and better forward-going contributions from him.

That's fair enough, and we'll just have to disagree on Johnston. Don't get me wrong, he has all kinds of issues with his game and not enough end product but I still think he has potential to offer us something different.

I don't mean to knock McNeil’s contribution, and I’d be quite happy to keep him in midfield, but particularly at Broadwood we need players who can get forward quickly. Johnston’s ability to go from a standing start, simply knock the ball past his man and run 50+ yards is something we should be able find a use for.

I think if we had a good defensive coach at the club, which we don't as far as I can see, then Johnston could be turned into a really good fullback. Maybe part of it’s down to having to put up with Scott Durie for so long and I'd have Johnston miles before him.

Johnston’s ability to go from a standing start, simply knock the ball past his man and run 50+ yards is something we should be able find a use for.

The problem with Johnston is that he will lose possession or run it out of play before he makes 50 yards.

He is a poor winger, in that he rarely creates and a poor defender who is easily beaten.

17 games with one assist says it all.

(Incidentally, the assist was a very average cross that MacDonald did very well to score from)

Flynn even when fit he doesn't start games so don't see your point with him as for the squad size think that's just an excuse along with being tired ( others have mentioned ) we had a two week break not long ago
We had good enough players to win both the previous league games
We didn't play long balls in the cup tie
I agree losing Easton and Lowden were huge blow to any title challenge
But with the way the league has panned out and with recent fixtures and results we should be top , not saying we would stay there long term

Flynn even when fit he doesn't start games so don't see your point with him as for the squad size think that's just an excuse along with being tired ( others have mentioned ) we had a two week break not long ago

But with the way the league has panned out and with recent fixtures and results we should be top , not saying we would stay there long term

The long ball tactic does my head in. It is obvious to everyone who watches Clyde that we are much more successful when we get the ball down and play.

I don't know the logic of pumping 60 yard hoofs up to MacDonald and Higgins. It happens so often, especially away from home, that it can only come from the manager.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can educate me.

9 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

The long ball tactic does my head in. It is obvious to everyone who watches Clyde that we are much more successful when we get the ball down and play.

I don't know the logic of pumping 60 yard hoofs up to MacDonald and Higgins. It happens so often, especially away from home, that it can only come from the manager.

Maybe I'm missing something and someone can educate me.

That was what part of my post was about. With the players out, we don't have runners from central midfield or fullback any more, at least not when Flynn isn't starting, and now we have Miller and McLaughlin both sitting deep. That means the our central midfield is more compacted and further away from the strikers. Only McNeil in defence is comfortable on the ball so when they end up under pressure they feel forced into playing it long.

I certainly don't think it comes from Ferguson but, he hasn't found a way to get in under control when we start playing too many long balls during a game. The defence also being a little shaky recently, and that's not just McNiff, leads to more panic and therefore more long balls.

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

We played plenty of long balls in the cup tie. As we've done, and as every team in this league does, nearly every single game.

There's a direct link between people moaning about "long balls" and whether or not the team wins. We beat Cowdenbeath 5-3 earlier this season and basically punted the ball up field the whole match and nobody complained.

That was what part of my post was about. With the players out, we don't have runners from central midfield or fullback any more, at least not when Flynn isn't starting, and now we have Miller and McLaughlin both sitting deep. That means the our central midfield is more compacted and further away from the strikers. Only McNeil in defence is comfortable on the ball so when they end up under pressure they feel forced into playing it long.
I certainly don't think it comes from Ferguson but, he hasn't found a way to get in under control when we start playing too many long balls during a game. The defence also being a little shaky recently, and that's not just McNiff, leads to more panic and therefore more long balls.

So let me get this right the manager is on the side line watching us shell the ball up the park in plenty games this season and going by your logic doesn't like it ?

Archived