Aberdeen v St Johnstone

The Scottish Cup semi-final turned on that mad b*****d MacLean having his Tony D'Amato moment at half-time. Probably the first time in the history of St Johnstone and big occasions that someone stood up and said just being here isn't enough.

Agree with what the Dons fans have said, they looked a really good side in the first half of that game and I'm sure at the tine I was resigned to another defeat.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Back five picks itself. Davidson being back is huge, Unsure who should come into centre mid with Davidson, ideally Millar but pretty sure he's still out. Paton might be worth another go to get set about Maddison/Pawlett/McGinn/anycunt. Danny Swanson on his game is superb, and Maclean is just.. well, Maclean. Yet to be convinced by Coulson. 

Clark 

Foster Joe Ando Easton

Wotherspoon Davidson Paton/Craig Coulson

Swanson

Maclean

I was downbeat at half time of the SC Semi, until the fans started trying to score and one of them absolutely burst the keeper.

My attempts at a "dig a hole" chant didn't go down too well, sadly

Always one of the hardest home fixtures to call for us I feel.

Can't remember any particularly exciting games either in recent years.

Can see this being a draw but with Rangers playing Hearts and at least one of them dropping points we should really be looking to win this one.

I'd probably try the same team as Tuesday to begin with though I suspect Jack will start.

4 hours ago, RussellAnderson said:

I remember in the LC semi, 2-0 up and giving the Saints kids team a good booing in the half time peno shoot out. 

The devil has evidence if I do end up in hell...

The best part was the PA guy asking people to stop booing, only for it to get twice as loud.

team should be

lewis

logan oconner considine shinnie

maddison jack mclean

mcginn rooney hayes

4,3,3 or 4,2,3,1 jack will come back in so its a straight fight between maddison and pawlett for a start. please start our best back 4 consistently.

im praying taylor doesnt start and if mcinnes fancies getting physical to match up then he should go 4,4,2 with stockley up top.

hopefully mcinnes doesnt shit the bed and we should win 2 - 1...... famous last words.

Not looking forward to this one at all. So I'm also going to indulge in semi final chat. For me, Wright had a tactical master stroke at Ibrox at half time, when he shifted Stevie May out left side of the attack, to play between Logan and Russell Anderson. He was able to pick up the ball by physically beating Logan before running at a slow Anderson. It had the desired effect and Saints deserved it for an outstanding second half.

On the 5-1 last season, I personally felt MacLean was better in that than at Ibrox in the cup semi. Had an absolutely outstanding game in the 5-1, hold up play and use of the ball was fantastic.

Onto this game, our record against Saints is hardly stellar, and we've an awful tendency to try to "match up physically", which usually results in eye bleedingly bad hoofball from us. Sadly, McInnes isn't likely to change from that.

As such, I expect the team to look something like: Lewis; Logan, O'Connor, Reynolds, Considine; Jack, Shinnie, McLean; Hayes, Maddison; Stockley. Only potential change I could see is Taylor instead of Reynolds.

For me, I'd be tempted to keep a very similar team to Tuesday night, with Jack replacing McLean for the "physicality", and Shinnie in at left back. Try to run at Saints and play a pacy game on the deck against them.

Our third meeting of the season already, which is remarkable. One thing is for sure, the teams and fans know each other inside out after the last 4-5 years - and are probably sick of the sight of each other!

This will likely be a dreary 1-1 draw, MacLean and Rooney exchanging goals.

3 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Not looking forward to this one at all. So I'm also going to indulge in semi final chat. For me, Wright had a tactical master stroke at Ibrox at half time, when he shifted Stevie May out left side of the attack, to play between Logan and Russell Anderson. He was able to pick up the ball by physically beating Logan before running at a slow Anderson. It had the desired effect and Saints deserved it for an outstanding second half.

On the 5-1 last season, I personally felt MacLean was better in that than at Ibrox in the cup semi. Had an absolutely outstanding game in the 5-1, hold up play and use of the ball was fantastic.

Onto this game, our record against Saints is hardly stellar, and we've an awful tendency to try to "match up physically", which usually results in eye bleedingly bad hoofball from us. Sadly, McInnes isn't likely to change from that.

As such, I expect the team to look something like: Lewis; Logan, O'Connor, Reynolds, Considine; Jack, Shinnie, McLean; Hayes, Maddison; Stockley. Only potential change I could see is Taylor instead of Reynolds.

For me, I'd be tempted to keep a very similar team to Tuesday night, with Jack replacing McLean for the "physicality", and Shinnie in at left back. Try to run at Saints and play a pacy game on the deck against them.

Our third meeting of the season already, which is remarkable. One thing is for sure, the teams and fans know each other inside out after the last 4-5 years - and are probably sick of the sight of each other!

This will likely be a dreary 1-1 draw, MacLean and Rooney exchanging goals.

In fairness to Mcinnes he was heavily criticised last year for the fact that we had no plan B against teams like saints who had figured out how to play against us and bully us.

He's changed it this year to combat that and he's criticised for matching up physically.

Saying that I do hope he finds a happy medium to allow us to play more freely in attack.

I still don't get the physical stuff. We're a lot less than in recent years and frankly our team is tiny by comparison to an ICT or Ross County.

Being physical describes the approach, not the physique.

It is generally effective to close us down and try to muscle us off the ball. You don't have to be big, just more aggressive than our players which is frankly not hard.

It doesn't mean that your team are all hammer throwers.

I think that the fact that half the league has been identified as more physical than us means that the problem is with us being pussies.

Being physical describes the approach, not the physique.
It is generally effective to close us down and try to muscle us off the ball. You don't have to be big, just more aggressive than our players which is frankly not hard.
It doesn't mean that your team are all hammer throwers.
I think that the fact that half the league has been identified as more physical than us means that the problem is with us being pussies.

Surely we should be described as aggressive then, not physical.

Archived