Why do some people hate the SNP?

John Lambies Doos

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont hate the snp as such but I dont like the way all policy is used to further the aims of independence, i dont blame them for that as that is their ultimate policy goal, however I find it off putting. I also think they could be bolder in their program for government but do not want to put people off voting yes in a future referendum. I also dont like tconstantly blaming westminster for all our problems. They have certainly been highly competent in government though no denying that.

I would take issue at highly competent to be honest.

18 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I for one am a member as I'm Scottish and it's the only party I trust for Scotland

Opposing views?

Opposing views, but part of it is also tradition.

Amongst the older generation, they've had decades of being drip fed at all levels - at home, in the work place, in the working men's clubs and pubs where trade union leaders were treated like heroes that the SNP were evil, the SNP were Tartan Tories, even that the SNP was the Scottish Nazi Party.

With only shoestring resources to combat whole tiers of government and the trade unions against them, the SNP had to wait until Maggie's wholesale crippling of local councils & the destruction (& in part discreditation) of the British trade union movement left Labour weak enough to take on and counter.

Given time, the SNP will build up a new generation of people opposed to them as they in turn become "the establishment", allow in people that used to join Labour for much the same reasons of self advancement (& who will cause the party to suffer embarrassing headlines when they get caught out), & everyone starts singing a certain Who song about "the party on the left is now the party on the right... here comes the new boss, same as the old boss."

I hope I'm wrong about the last paragraph, but the behaviour of the SNP in North Lanarkshire for starters proving to be every bit as corrupt as the Labour junta they want to oust leaves me with a sense of foreboding.

Opposing views, but part of it is also tradition.
Amongst the older generation, they've had decades of being drip fed at all levels - at home, in the work place, in the working men's clubs and pubs where trade union leaders were treated like heroes that the SNP were evil, the SNP were Tartan Tories, even that the SNP was the Scottish Nazi Party.
With only shoestring resources to combat whole tiers of government and the trade unions against them, the SNP had to wait until Maggie's wholesale crippling of local councils & the destruction (& in part discreditation) of the British trade union movement left Labour weak enough to take on and counter.
Given time, the SNP will build up a new generation of people opposed to them as they in turn become "the establishment", allow in people that used to join Labour for much the same reasons of self advancement (& who will cause the party to suffer embarrassing headlines when they get caught out), & everyone starts singing a certain Who song about "the party on the left is now the party on the right... here comes the new boss, same as the old boss."
I hope I'm wrong about the last paragraph, but the behaviour of the SNP in North Lanarkshire for starters proving to be every bit as corrupt as the Labour junta they want to oust leaves me with a sense of foreboding.
this cannot be the view of everyone, is it?, surely not, this is really entering into the realms of fantasy, don't think JSD, would write what you just did, awful opinion for the 21st century

What does the 21st century have to do with it? His opinion seems fine to me. At least, in a free democracy, it should be welcomed as crucial to developing relations among those who are meant to engage in them. 

Unless, of course, only the party-line is allowed......among some of those idiots, it seems to be. 

21 hours ago, Isthatyou said:

The fact you have posted this thread answers your own question, your narrow minded pomposity is biblical, now, what am wondering is, are you an attention seeker?

No I know what he is, he is the boy who just wants to fit in, but he just resorts to attention seeking, sad really

Judging by the sheer amount of worthless threads he starts, possibly an intervention is required, if you think you are up to the task, then "wire in"

4 hours ago, Isthatyou said:

this cannot be the view of everyone, is it?, surely not, this is really entering into the realms of fantasy, don't think JSD, would write what you just did, awful opinion for the 21st century

OK, which troll is this under a new alias? First correct answer gets a sweetie from Div's big tin of Christmas Quality Street he'll have already grazed half of.

What does the 21st century have to do with it? His opinion seems fine to me. At least, in a free democracy, it should be welcomed as crucial to developing relations among those who are meant to engage in them. 

Unless, of course, only the party-line is allowed......among some of those idiots, it seems to be. 

It was the notion that the SNP have at some point been referred to as the Scottish Nazi Party, this cannot be true

They have been, and in some circles, continue to be. Grow a pair and deal with it. 

It may come from links to the inverted Othela Rune, a symbol used by the NSDWP in Germany from 1933-45, and various nationalistic and neo-Nazi organisations since. Even you must know that.....

They have been, and in some circles, continue to be. Grow a pair and deal with it. 

It may come from links to the inverted Othela Rune, a symbol used by the NSDWP in Germany from 1933-45, and various nationalistic and neo-Nazi organisations since. Even you must know that.....

I am no fan of the SNP, so no need to "grow a pair", but I still find the use of the word "nazi" a little disturbing

In what context? It's a fairly common comparison when thrown around to describe various actions of authority. If, as i suspect, you are fond of listening to the negative agenda directed at the SNP, (fully deserved, imho) i don't see why you'd be bothered by attempts to discredit them. After all, in this country, you're now either one or the other. No middle ground, or scope for debate. 

7 hours ago, Loondave1 said:

Another puerile response from you with your Union Jack obsession.

At least one poster on here has come out and blatantly admitted it's the case. It's not the case for everyone, but obviously you'd be surprised at just how many see it that way.

On 12/9/2016 at 17:05, John Lambies Doos said:

I for one am a member as I'm Scottish and it's the only party I trust for Scotland

Opposing views?

No idea why The SNP is hated.  I think it's perfectly legitimate that small-minded Xenophobes have a political outlet.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

No idea why The SNP is hated.  I think it's perfectly legitimate that small-minded Xenophobes have a political outlet.

Then they have UKIP, the Conservatives and Labour to all keep telling them that Britain is the best country on earth; fewer people without British blood should be coming to the place; the British people should be prioritised in the world in terms of their governance, strength and ability; and that the great and ancient capital, London, should rule every bit of the state.

Naturally you lap that up like a drooling dog. Britain's GRRRREEEEEAAAAT!

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

Then they have UKIP, the Conservatives and Labour to all keep telling them that Britain is the best country on earth, fewer people without British blood should be coming to the place, and that the British people should be prioritised in the world in terms of their governance, strength and ability.

Naturally you lap that up like a drooling dog. Britain's GRRRREEEEEAAAAT!

I'm not on here that often.  Is this one of your usual diatribes or have you made it especially for me?

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I'm not on here that often.  Is this one of your usual diatribes or have you made it especially for me?

There's a blessing. Might I suggest you up your lack of presence?

Don't worry, you're not the only BritNat who appears to think his brand of nationalism is different, exceptional and benevolent (despite the centuries of evidence to the contrary) in comparison to that shameful, icky Scottish nationalism.

1 minute ago, Antlion said:

There's a blessing. Might I suggest you up your lack of presence?

Don't worry, you're not the only BritNat who appears to think his brand of nationalism

My brand of nationalism?  Are you genuinely an arse or just appearing to be so?

Archived