St Mirren v Ayr United 17/12/16

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FT 1-1

Said at half time that a draw wasn't enough, and it's not. How that second half went makes it even worse than had it stayed 0-0.

Was certainly incident packed. Firstly we get a penalty. Our regular penalty taker Mallan is on the pitch. Off the top of my head I don't remember him ever missing one. Despite this, Lawrence - zero league goals all season - Shankland bullied him of the ball and, ahem, shanked it well wide. Naturally Ayr run up the park and score soon after, cheers shanks.

Then they get Adams sent off. Looked incredibly harsh to me on first viewing. Was a late challenge and a certain yellow, never thought it was a red though.

Then big Sutts gets the equaliser but we can't find the winner in the final 10 minutes.

Overall a draw about fair. Given other results it's an absolutely terrible score for us. It's a long way back.

FT 1-1

Then they get Adams sent off. Looked incredibly harsh to me on first viewing. Was a late challenge and a certain yellow, never thought it was a red though.

Had the guy made an attempt for the ball, yes a yellow. No attempt for the ball and a dangerous challenge. Stupid from the Ayr player as we didn't look like we were going to score.

We were by far the better team, Ayr are an awful team. McCall going mental at the corner decision in the build up to the goal, his team had many opportunities to defend better - the referee isn't to blame for that.

St Mirren fans treatment of Shankland today was completely ridiculous. He was our best player last week and had a decent game today. Missed a penalty and folk are happy to see him replaced by David Clarkson, baffling.

Ian McCall is a bit of a legend.  We've had some kicks in the teeth over the last few weeks, but I still think that group of players is good enough to stay up.  Not sure what to say about Andrew Dallas that hasn't been said a thousand times before.  Genuinely surprised by Dumbartons recent form as they looked hopeless a month or so back - next week is a must win.

Passed someone who looked suspiciously like McCall drinking wine on his own outside a pub about 3pm on Wednesday afternoon.

Wonder if he has a tipple at that time every afternoon.

Certainly seemed to be under the influence of something in the second half.

We created enough chances to win two or three games today but ultimately a lack of cutting edge cost us. McCall coming on the park at the end and giving it the big Get it up you to the saints fans was quite funny. 

You have to laugh at the guy he is a complete weapon.:lol:

Decent result in the end after being 1 down but disappointing overall given balance of play. Not a great result given Dumbarton won.

The missed penalty was terrible from Shankland. He can't buy a goal at the moment. A pro footballer really shouldn't be missing the goal from the spot.

The red card was madness from the Ayr lad. Lunged in recklessly from behind with no chance of getting the ball as it was 3 feet away. He night have been "trying to take one for the team" but you have to have the chance of getting the ball!

I agree with Lex on a lot of the main points, no idea why Mallan wasn't hitting the penalty and I was quite surprised to see a red card instead of a yellow for Adams. We were punished for a lot of bad decision-making in the first half when we were well on top, although Webster was very unlucky with the cleared header.

Thought the two full backs were our best players today, Naismith's getting back to his swashbuckling best down the wing and Irvine was extremely solid tackling and intercepting without much help from Morgan or Quinn.

This might sound odd but I think we're a better team without Mallan in a lot of ways. Shankland didn't look as comfortable without Sutton's physical presence beside him and Magennis was barely able to get forward once Mallan was dropped back. It was also really frustrating to see Mallan try and win the game on his own with lots of shots off target late on when he had better options ahead of him.

Archived