Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

That sounds like the standard in there.

I knew I'd forgotten somewhere.  9am opening everyday  Piss-stained jakeys all arguing with each other.  And of course, each toilet covered in lines of coke.

What a nice touch by the bar staff. Highlight hospitality at it's finest!

2 hours ago, TheScarf said:

There's a pub there, I cant remember if it's still Deano's though, I'm not in that part of town very often.  It used to be rammed on a Sunday afternoon about 10 years ago.  I've not been in it for years.  Think it's been for sale for a while actually.

I don't usually like designer type pubs but they've done a cracking job on the new place opposite the dole office on Tomnahurich Street. They've managed to get away with an indoor beer garden too with a big log fire and the sports channels. They've taken the wall away facing the street and put a fence up. Great selection of beer/cider and the food looks ok.

31 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't usually like designer type pubs but they've done a cracking job on the new place opposite the dole office on Tomnahurich Street. They've managed to get away with an indoor beer garden too with a big log fire and the sports channels. They've taken the wall away facing the street and put a fence up. Great selection of beer/cider and the food looks ok.

It's a place I've yet to try actually.  I used to love Barbazzas back in the day.

4 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

The place is fucking awesome, the clock stopped there 30 years ago. Does Deano's Sports bar still exist?

Deeno's shut a few months back. I think the Cairngorm Brewery have bought the building. I imagine it will end up being a similar joint to the Black Isle Bar on Church St,

Anyone from Inverness remember "The Thornbush Inn" on Thornbush Road? Now there was a formidable pub! Remember going into the Lochiel on Grant Street before a Clach v Caley game on the 70s. Out of reasons based on self preservation I removed my blue and white scarf before entering.

Fair point about the Swan.

As far as the other pubs are concerned, Kelpies has had a few different names before that, but no matter what it's called I still remember one of my mates describing the place as Bin Laden's cave, a fair description of the pub when it was the Portcullis.

The Linlithgow Tap sounds like another travesty, and I heard they've done away with the pool table. The way they've done it up it sounds like they're trying to shed the pub's old flying tumbler reputation, but might have went too far in the other direction.

The Platform 3 is still a pretty good pub as well, especially when I've just missed a train and need to waste a bit of time.

The less said about the West Port the better.

The Kelpies and Platform 3 are both really good wee pubs.

The West Port is what the OP was talking about. Used to be a really decent pub but now thinks it is a restaurant and the food is rank rotten as well.

Nice to read that the Keg is still as scummy as ever in Inverness. Great boozer.

Is the Tarry Isle still on the go? I remember being a 16 year old laddie in there one night with lots of older Clyde boys and having no issue in getting served, good times.

Just now, Adam said:

Nice to read that the Keg is still as scummy as ever in Inverness. Great boozer.

Is the Tarry Isle still on the go? I remember being a 16 year old laddie in there one night with lots of older Clyde boys and having no issue in getting served, good times.

Certainly is, great old style afternoon pub. Used to catch the County minibus there when Falkirk played, a bit strained if we won on the way back. Good place to hide when you've been sent shopping at Tesco. Never been in the evening, probably swinger time.

2 hours ago, SweeperDee said:

If you want a real salt of the earth boozer, you can't go far wrong with Caws. :lol:

They recently painted the outside. Never been in myself but walked past and peered in many times and the interior seems unchanged

The Kelpies is dire imo. Toss up between Platform 3 and The Black Bitch for the best in town. 
Star and Garter is sort of an example of what the thread is about (although after the fire I suppose they didn't really have a choice but to renovate it), but given it's usually pretty quiet a quick pint in there can be pretty good. Can't really decide on the Hole in the Wall. Food is decent tbf, and you could still quite happily go just for a pint if you wanted, but the horrendous 'inspirational quotes' they have up on the wall take some ignoring...
Linlithgow's pretty well served for pubs really. With the exception of the Kelpies, West Port and Four Marys, would happily go for a few drinks in any.

Even if the Star and Garter is quiet the service is awful. Could be good with a change of bar staff.

Archived