Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jmothecat said:

Used to be a great pub quiz at The Doublet, wonder if that's still going.

Yeah there's a pub quiz bi-weekly I think.

Also I used to live on North Woodside Road for a bit, can't remember the name of the pub there that got turned into flats...

The Anchor Inn looks like the roughest pub I have seen in Scotland, don't think it would be in any way funny going in there.

Not seen the Anchor, but it would have to go some to look worse than the Comet which used to be in Ruchill.

2ae2a94a0f6f525e6d91f2c167ac1410.jpg

Mathers on Broughton St is now something like The Queen of Sheba or some pish.. 
Mind it's a couple of years since I've been in it and it was a kind of fake old school pub.
Haven't been in new one so don't know if it's an improvement or no. 

I thought Mathers wasn't too bad, but I haven't been in since it changed hands. I think it's that, rather than the Mousetrap, that's the Innis and Gunn pub as well.

This now means that the Phoenix and the Cask and Barrel are the only pubs on Broughton Street that don't seem to be hipster haunts.

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Not seen the Anchor, but it would have to go some to look worse than the Comet which used to be in Ruchill.

2ae2a94a0f6f525e6d91f2c167ac1410.jpg

Anyone remember a pub in Haghill, "The Netherfield", it was on the corner of Duke Street and Todd Street.  I went there in the late 70s for a pint on my way to watch Shettleston Juniors.  Left before finishing it, scary, scary place. Later became "Joanna's Disco" pr similar name.  Resisted the temptation to revisit. 

Anyone remember a pub in Haghill, "The Netherfield", it was on the corner of Duke Street and Todd Street.  I went there in the late 70s for a pint on my way to watch Shettleston Juniors.  Left before finishing it, scary, scary place. Later became "Joanna's Disco" pr similar name.  Resisted the temptation to revisit. 

Joanna Dees. Has been shut since the mid 90's. Bound to happen when you put a nightclub at the corner of Haghill, Duke St and Parkhead.

Pubs down Leith way have been going downhill ever since they stopped allowing pumas ton be kept behind the bar.

A guy at work started telling me the story about this the other week. I couldn't believe it. He was saying all the punters used to pet the thing until one drunk guy pissed the puma off and it took a swipe at him. Pub eventually closed after that. Can anyone confirm this?

A fuckin' puma ffs!

Edited - actually I think he mentioned an incident with a panther as well [emoji23]

6 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

A guy at work started telling me the story about this the other week. I couldn't believe it. He was saying all the punters used to pet the thing until one drunk guy pissed the puma off and it took a swipe at him. Pub eventually closed after that. Can anyone confirm this?

A fuckin' puma ffs!

It went for the cleaning woman one morning and I think that was the start of the end for it. 

Was in Halleys in the Hilltown a few weeks back. It's still an nice old pub (sound bar staff too). I often walk past The Hill Bar further down the road and it still looks like an old shitehole (only been in for a single pint once).

6 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Cant argue with that - was it called the Comet as it looks like something that fell from outer space?

The Longstone Hearts Club at Saughton is one that looks pretty rough, but mostly because the prison looms eerily in the background separated by a field that is presumably filled with the corpses of inmates who have tried to escape over the years.

Screen Shot 2016-12-13 at 08.47.51.png

Joanna Dees. Has been shut since the mid 90's. Bound to happen when you put a nightclub at the corner of Haghill, Duke St and Parkhead.

Building is still there, though it should be floored soon as they are supposed to be starting on yet another new road.

916b74de4f1abd1770c76cea3acfd057.jpg

14 hours ago, tree house tam said:

McCallums was jumping the last time I was in. 2pm and folk pished dancing on tables, my sort of pub.

If I'm not mistake, karaoke starts at 2 on everyday in there and there's permanently bouncers on the door.  It's one the endearing pubs up here in the 'roaster pub' group.  That along with the likes of Lauders and the Nip Inn.

Sounds like the Old Ship. I was in there one afternoon a few summers ago and some boy came in with a Man U top on, he was made to turn it inside out. There wasn't even any football on.
The tams is shite now though, just like any other belhaven pub.

I got asked to leave the old ship a few years ago after just getting in the door. It Was lashing with Rain and I ran from where the taxi dropped me off at George street around to it.

Got told to leave as "Anyone running in here's, away to cause trouble, or just caused trouble".

8 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Got told to leave as "Anyone running in here's, away to cause trouble, or just caused trouble".

Sussed you straight away then..?? 

16 hours ago, Lordofthewing said:

I live just up from the Marksman, and have occasionally ventured in after a nightshift, not a bad pint, but it has some 'interesting' clientele. If I'm going for a bevvy post-nightshift, I find Swanny's to be a better choice. As far as bars on the windows adding to the ambiance, the Iona Bar is actually alright IMO.

I still tend to stick to the Phoenix or the Black Bull, though.

On a thread about dodgy old fashioned pubs I can't believe you haven't mentioned the Swan Tavern in Linlithgow. I have known folk to be barred for smiling.

We are quite lucky in Linlithgow we have the Black Bitch, Kelpies, Crown, Swan, Tap and Platform 3 that are all decent pubs that don't serve food.

Archived