Pubs turning shite

jamamafegan

2 hours ago, Slenderman said:

Cafe Continental in Gourock used to be decent. Shite now.

While this is true I don't see the relevance to this thread because as the name suggests, it's always been a more upmarket place offering food rather than a traditional pub. You'll not get a pint under £3.50 now though, with a pint of anything decent being over £4.

Greenock and Gourock offer a fair balance of traditional bin pubs with the dilapidated furniture which gives them their charm, cheap chain pubs that also do food and more pretentious places offering a bright decor, more expensive food and cocktails. There are a couple of bin pubs which have been done up and gone for that bright, shiny look described in the OP, but their clientele and prices have remained the same anyway.

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, RadgerTheBadger said:

Almost all the pubs in Leith have turned to shite. You've still got the Persie, The four, Robbies, the harp, middies, tamsons and I'd imagine the central is still the decent

The rest have turned into these hipster joints with middle class students punting humous club sandwiches and pouring luke warm piss water into empty jam jars

The Artisan is the same as ever and the Central is lively with locals.  Neither of these two have really changed in 30 years.  Leith Walk pubs have been by and large gentrified, none more so than the previously named Brunswick which was great for watching tv matches with the added bonus of a bookies next door.  Changed in the the "Joker and the Thief" a year ago and now a student den. Leith Walk used to have mainly pubs for the local community, now they are all aiming at the hipster 20s and 30s group.  Few pubs have survived this, Robbie, the Central and the Windsor are the exceptions

The Victoria Bar in Gourock still possesses a trough feature on the floor, which was designed to allow men to have a pish during their drinking session without actually leaving the bar. I'd like to confirm that it hasn't actually been used in decades, but I haven't been in that bin on a particularly busy weekend night. 

Never change, Greater Greenock. 

What do you expect from Leith and the pubs within the area? It's an affordable place to stay so it's popular with students so it's going to attract these sort of drinking establishments and as has been said there are still a fair few traditional pubs that haven't changed in the past 30 years so there is still something for everyone.

6 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

A lot of changes have been for the good but sometimes I fancy somewhere I can sit down and watch the football without listening to loud music.

I'm just getting old really :)

Brunswick Cellars? Not sure. I was in there about three years ago but it seemed to have changed a bit. In fact it might have been a new place further down. 

State Bar is pretty much the same as ever although the owner passed away a wee while ago. 

Variety Bar shut mot sure if that's reopened under a different guise?

Moving back to the west end the Doublet is still decent and has a good juke box up the stairs.

Stravaigan is okay for a late night pint and there is a place further up on the corner of Bank Street which is cheap and cheerful and open late too. 

Don't think it was the owner in the State that died but one of the main barmen, if you're thinking of the Thistle fan, he'd been in it since I started drinking in it 15 or so years ago.

Agree most of these changes aren't good but the Hayburn changing to the Deoch an Dorus has been an improvement, good pints, good value food, and ridiculous amount of TV screens for sport. Think it won some pub of the year award earlier in the year. Downside most of the clientele still favour one team but that's to be expected sadly. 

Closest pub to me in Partick now is 6 degrees north, a chain bar based on Belgian beers which doesn't sell pints but 2/3 of a pint, ostensibly because of the strength of the beers but also so you don't notice how much you would be paying for an actual pint. Next to that is the Pacific cocktail bar. This is still Partick, the other shops on that block are all charity shops, unlock / repair your mobile type shops, and second hand furniture shops FFS. 

3 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Thinking of my time in Finnieston it was becoming increasingly gentrified whilst I lived there, mainly hipster pubs turning up and replacing old ones. The Grove was still there, and was great purely because it was the only place in the West End where you could buy two pints, hand over a £5 note, and get change. A lot of the pubs in Partick seemed to be changing in my time in Glasgow too. More I think about it the more pubs I can remember that have changed tact completely.

The Grove must be the last block of resistance against Hispterdom in that square mile. Though some of the "teuchter" pubs aren't too bad, the Grove is proper old school.

Bought over and the chipper is pish. But it is still better than the bar. No main structural / decor changes, just the beer.
Out with Tennant's, Guinness, Peroni etc and in with genetic [emoji767]Cunther S&N pisswater. Locals left in droves , so it no longer opens at 9am.

If you want to remember a pub run into the ground by new owners, look no further than the Altnacealgach.

Fun fact: Was in Elphin yesterday.

7 hours ago, Njord said:

Not been in a couple of years and hadn't heard of either being torched.

The Seaforth in Ullapool usually gets a mention in the best chipper threads.

No longer.

Bought over and the chipper is pish. But it is still better than the bar.

No main structural / decor changes, just the beer.

Out with Tennant's, Guinness, Peroni etc and in with genetic ©Cunther S&N pisswater.

Locals left in droves , so it no longer opens at 9am.

It will still make a killing in the Tourist months, but as a pub it has jumped the shark.

Incredibly expensive for pishy beer too, only thing going for it is the terrace if you smoke. Don't know why they bother opening outside the summer. The Arch and the Argyll are much busier.

That was shite from day one. 
Liked The Foundry but last couple of times I'd been in I've been served shite pints so gave up on it. 
I tend to stick to Christies and Twa Tams these days when I'm home. Even then, the Tams is a shadow of its former self [emoji20] 

The Tams is absolutely shite. The manager is a cow. I asked her to put the Europa League final on one year. She said no because "We're not a football pub." So she left the TV on 8 out of 10 cats or some shite that nobody was watching. Way to go pleasing your customers.

Another time I was in there after a Saints European game. I was asked to cover up my Saints top because they don't accept football colours. They don't accept Saints colours on a European night. I would understand if it was a Old Firm day but ffs come on. Luckily I didn't have a jacket and they didn't have the brass neck to throw me out. Fucking idiots man. Pub wasnt even busy on both occasions. Some people just don't have any clue.

The Victoria Bar in Gourock still possesses a trough feature on the floor, which was designed to allow men to have a pish during their drinking session without actually leaving the bar. I'd like to confirm that it hasn't actually been used in decades, but I haven't been in that bin on a particularly busy weekend night. 

I would very much like to see this. That's old school. Love it.

4 hours ago, mizfit said:

I remember Donskies in Perth, was underground, no phone signal so you never got a constant barrage of messages asking where you were and it had pool tables.

Unfortunately it seemed to have a reputation for being the Mosher/Goth/Emo pub for a while. Think it's been closed for 2-3 years.

Donskies :wub:

Loved that place. You did get Goth types in there, but more often than not it was more "skater" types, music was dece too. Once or twice "lads" would go in, and get roundly pumped at pool before leaving.

1 hour ago, vikingTON said:

Not quite, they for spitting in, usually chewing tobacco which would then be easily cleaned by sluicing the trough rather than spitting on the floor.

Mind you, in Gourouck, maybe.

22 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I was in Bannisters after the OCS gig last night.  Except it's now been renamed "Strip Joint" and totally renovated.  It's all very nice but there was something nice about Bannisters holding on to the dingy, slightly rough boozer appearance that used to describe all the pubs in Finneston before it's gentrification. 

The 78 on Kelvinhaugh Street as well. I can't remember what it was called previous to 2006ish but The 78 now sells has vegan food, pints are expensive and the lassies are all stuck up bints.
Whilst I'm on a Finneston rant. The best Indian in the area, Taste of Punjab turned into some pretentious comma garlicky Porter & Sons.
c***s.

8 minutes ago, Cerberus said:

The 78 on Kelvinhaugh Street as well. I can't remember what it was called previous to 2006ish but The 78 now sells has vegan food, pints are expensive and the lassies are all stuck up bints.
Whilst I'm on a Finneston rant. The best Indian in the area, Taste of Punjab turned into some pretentious comma garlicky Porter & Sons.
c***s.

Was it not McChuills out west? Last time I was in there after a curry at mother india, there were screaming weans at half 9 on a Friday night. Guess that's what I deserve for having a vegan friend who wanted to go there. Obviously we went to the grove afterwards.

I miss Taste of Punjab, lived in Finnieston in 2007 and it done some business out of me.

As a student in Glasgow in 1971/72, I regularly drank at The Amphora in Sauchiehall St.

I have the recurring vision of cheap, discoloured plastic seating against the wall, old worn tables.

Icy blast of winter air as the doors were opened wide at the 10pm chucking out time.

Braced  against the wall outside. Someone projectile vomited all across the wide pavement. 
Disgusted, impressed. Realised it was me. 

Asked a college girl out. The only places I knew were all like the Amphora.
Someone told me the bar at Central Station was OK, so I took her there. . 

Archived