Old Firm Colts in L2

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Stop Press, Celtic Fan in supporting Ireland over Scotland shocker.................

Where did you get that from exactly?   I was born there but as I mentioned I couldn’t give a f**k where the players from, as long as they are committed and decent. Really not arsed about international football.

5 hours ago, gannonball said:

As much as I like the idea of development loans so they can continue to train at Celtic Im guessing it would be ideal to have the players playing together with other older pros at Celtic and can use similar tactics to the first team to make the transition easier. Level wise its pretty similiar to our championship for me. It’s become a far more scouted league now since Dundalk made the Europa group stages. Might also help tap in to the irish market too. So a few positives all round really.  It would cost a small fortune to implement it properly though.

We have a loanee at Linfield who looks an absolute standout for them, technically and in terms of footballing intelligence. 

Hes about 7th choice at best for us in there.

The Irish leagues aren't Championship standard.

One of the best strikers in Dundalks history performed with us to the point we've loaned him out to Hamilton because hes not able to get on our bench.

Here's the results of LOI teams v Scottish opponents in the Challenge Cup in the last 2 seasons:

Elgin 2-0 Bray Wanderers

Sligo Rovers 1-2 Falkirk

Peterhead 0-1 Bohemians

Sligo Rovers 4-1 Livi U21s

Motherwell U21s 2-0 Sligo Rovers

Admittedly there a couple of better teams in the league who don't get invited as they're involved in European competition, but that doesn't make great reading for the claim that the league is Championship standard.

On 2/19/2019 at 10:17, Only one David Marsh said:

They would also be allowed to be promoted as high as the championship, I can see the Highland and Lowland teams going for it as they'd be in the SPFL ladder plus getting some extra gate money from the pseudo ugly sisters fans coming along to see the colt teams and they'll probably offer clubs monetary incentives to get it done but I hope it will be binned. 

Not sure if those fans would turn out for such games, as they certainly don't for the Challenge Cup games.  Might be different for league games though.

Think there was a bit in the paper earlier in the week saying it had been discussed & rejected again but that it was expected  to return again in the future.  There was something in the Sunday papers going on about how great Rangers had found arranging games against European teams for their youngsters. The sooner their Colt teams & first teams move on to pastures new the better.

It's clear pandering to the old firm. If they want something the SPFL and SFA will bend over for them. If this were to go ahead the best thing for all the club's outside the Premiership to do would be to resign from the league.

Since these colts have been in the cup I've not went to a single cup tie regardless if we are playing colts or not. Total farce of an idea that should be burned.

The day colts enter the set up is the day Scottish football is finished and I won't be back. It doesn't work in other countries.
The reason our home talent doesn't flourish is not that the youth leagues are pish, it's that Rangers and Celtic would rather buy 3rd and 4th rate European players than give youth a chance. And anytime we have a decent player outside the 2 arseholes (particularly Celtic nowadays) they sign them up and leave them to rot on the bench.

7 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Plans to introduce Celtic and Rangers colt teams into Scottish League Two have been rejected again following a backlash from supporters

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/celtic-rangers-colts-plan-booted-14044279

Excellent news.

I know a few guys on this thread were writing to their clubs about it (and I certainly did), so well done to each and every one of you. No doubt it'll be back on the table this time next year but, for now, the good guys have won.

Disappointed in Albion Rovers. I can see why from a self-preservation point-of-view, but come on lads, you're better than that.

23 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

It's not been scrapped yet its returned to the SPFL competitions working group  for the next set of crap colt proposals for voting on 

Do you know who sits on this "SPFL Competitions Working Group"?  I quickly googled there and it seems Ian Maxwell used to be part of it, and some guy at Stenny is on it, but it would be good to find out who is continually trying to polish this batch of diarrhoea and repackage it as a lovely new shoe.

21 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Do you know who sits on this "SPFL Competitions Working Group"?  I quickly googled there and it seems Ian Maxwell used to be part of it, and some guy at Stenny is on it, but it would be good to find out who is continually trying to polish this batch of diarrhoea and repackage it as a lovely new shoe.

The chairman is Warren Hawke (Morton) 

Neil Doncaster (Walloper) 

Chris McCart (Celtic academy) 

Craig Mulholland (Rangers Academy) 

Iain McMenemy (Stenny) 

Iain Dougan (Stranraer) 

You'll see why it's always the ugly sisters colt teams put forward. 

Edit Warren hawkes own club even put out a reserve team in the Challenge Cup even though he chairs the group that came up with the changes to it. 

Edited by Only one David Marsh

19 minutes ago, Only one David Marsh said:

The chairman is Warren Hawke (Morton) 

Neil Doncaster (Walloper) 

Chris McCart (Celtic academy) 

Craig Mulholland (Rangers Academy) 

Iain McMenemy (Stenny) 

Iain Dougan (Stranraer) 

You'll see why it's always the ugly sisters colt teams put forward. 

Edit Warren hawkes own club even put out a reserve team in the Challenge Cup even though he chairs the group that came up with the changes to it. 

Just bizarre. Get it in the fucking bin.