That video doesn't show anything near the workplace conditions you expect before watching it. The report is moaning that workers have productivity targets,, have to clock in and out, aren't allowed to wear whatever they feel like, aren't allowed to eat chocolate and are being searched in case of theft. That's pretty standard. I'm sure there are a few arseholes working as Supervisors but "prison conditions" - behave yourself. Zero hour contracts are obviously disgraceful but get a better fucking job if you're not happy.

Ginger & a Saintee? Obviously looking for plaudits from the wider community by taking this moderate stance?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That video doesn't show anything near the workplace conditions you expect before watching it. The report is moaning that workers have productivity targets,, have to clock in and out, aren't allowed to wear whatever they feel like, aren't allowed to eat chocolate and are being searched in case of theft. That's pretty standard. I'm sure there are a few arseholes working as Supervisors but "prison conditions" - behave yourself. Zero hour contracts are obviously disgraceful but get a better fucking job if you're not happy.

Aye, getting fired for needing a wee seat after an 11 hour shift on your feet isn't at all draconian.

Fucking welt.

5 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Aye, getting fired for needing a wee seat after an 11 hour shift on your feet isn't at all draconian.

Fucking welt.

I'm sure that's the whole entire story and not just some jumped up Supervisor who gets paid an extra 20p an hour acting like the big man. The majority of the report I'd imagine is pretty commonplace and to be expected when you work in Retail.

The modern workplace for many is an absolute hell...and I don't say that lightly, however a lot on that report is pretty standard and really not worthy of trying to sensationalise. That said a lot of the practices are probably understated.

If you are employed by an agency then you are pretty much fucked. You effectively have no rights. You can turn up for work and told to go home. You do have the choice however of not being paid or take a days holiday. You can be told not to return for no reason whatsoever. In other words sacked. The greedy b*****d of a boss doesn't give a shit as he knows he can have another hundred people on his doorstep at the click of a finger. Permanent contracts are dangled like carrots to get you to work that bit harder. Agencies don't give a shit about you because they are making lots of cash for getting you there. They also have a steady supply of people because the DWP are forcing you into places like this.

And aye of course it's just as easy as getting another job. I doubt anyone has ever thought of applying for something else. And it's really easy to get time off at short notice to go for an interview. No danger of losing your job whatsoever...absolutely none.

Governments of the last forty years have so much to answer for. People are quite legally treated like cattle and it is not ridiculous to describe conditions as Victorian. And don't forget people any employment rights that the Tories haven't managed to get rid of are up for grabs in the next couple of years so it could get a whole lot worse. 

People are so anti union these days as well, 'sack them all' is a phrase I've heard relating to these train strikes. Again it's the race to the bottom stuff, the govt answer? Make strikes illegal. The outcry over this? Non existent.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 19:56, throbber said:

That the world and the capitalist system is absolutely fucked, your job doesn't define who you are and an employer/organisation doesn't give a f**k about you. Just to basically get what ever ideas of blind enthusiasm I have out of my head as early as possible.

17 minutes ago, throbber said:

I fucking love capitalism. 

Changed your tune pretty quickly.

It's remarkable how many people want union workers to be brought down to their level, rather than wanting the same rights applied to themselves. Bizarre, bitter mindset.

Still, if you think working conditions are deteriorating now, wait 'til you see what our kids are going to be working under.

18 minutes ago, throbber said:

It might not be as bad as some have made out, I'm still confident enough of having a decent job and way of life in years to come.

I was too, up until the point when I made a decision that ultimately ended up being the biggest f**k up of my life.

Since then I have been in two companies that make the JD sports warehouse in that video look like employer of the year. The one I currently work for is bad but the aforementioned two take shit employers to a new level.

4 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's remarkable how many people want union workers to be brought down to their level, rather than wanting the same rights applied to themselves. Bizarre, bitter mindset.

Still, if you think working conditions are deteriorating now, wait 'til you see what our kids are going to be working under.

slaves.jpg

5 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It just shows how staggeringly shite peoples situation has to be for them to be that bitter. Public sector workers get it particularly tight as we have seen in the Birmingham Prison riot thread of late and people are too quick to criticise people who are in the exact same situation as them rather than take their anger out on the bosses and politicians who make these situations possible. The media play a massive part in this as well in making us hate one another, if its not blaming immigrants its just blaming a different group of people who are being mistreated and fighting for justice in the work place. 

That's my worry. What's it going to be like for my kids?

Hopefully it will have got better Scary Bear but if and when I have kids i have no idea what sort of advice i am supposed to give them about being enthusiastic about joining the work force.

I think if you are lucky enough to get a job doing something you like, then that's as good as it gets. Failing that get a job where you work with nice people.

Neither of those will help with employee rights. They'll find that even the public sector has outsourced a lot of the 'professional' jobs by the time they are in the workplace.

2 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I think if you are lucky enough to get a job doing something you like, then that's as good as it gets. Failing that get a job where you work with nice people.

Neither of those will help with employee rights. They'll find that even the public sector has outsourced a lot of the 'professional' jobs by the time they are in the workplace.

It is a pretty shit reality, I think what kept me partially sane was that there is an end product at the end of what i did and I could take pride in what i did. Countless jobs are just endless shite where you don't get any sort of satisfaction what so ever in what you are doing which can ultimately lead to absolute misery from what i have seen. 

Working with nice people can make all the difference obviously and it only takes one absolute dickhead to make your life significantly worse on a day to day basis. I have worked with a fair few arseholes sadly.

Archived