Ross County v Partick Thistle 23/12/16

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

County looked as if they just had to turn up for  3 points which proved more and more telling as the game wore on. Little purpose in defeating Aberdeen when there is no intensity against the Jags at home. Fair play to Thistle for a good end to a busy week and respect to their travelling support. Erskine was tremendous- unfortunately...

Thistle were worthy winners in the way that they controlled the match.  It couldn't have been more different to the 3-1 win from August 2013 in that there was barely a clear-cut chance created from their own play, but they were ruthless in capitalising on some really poor possession by County in their own third.  It was a great header by Lindsay for the first goal, who had the better of Davies at corners all night.  I'm a big fan of an outswinging corner met flush on the head and Fox didn't have any chance with it, it was a very photogenic header that reminded me of Richard Gough.  At the second goal, the corner was cleared but Chow dallied at his own goal-line.  Before he knew it a slide-tackle came in and a ball put across the box - County's defence were on their heels and Doolan is the last guy you'd want to face when that happens.  Franks played a terrible pass backwards at the third which gave Thistle the space to play Erskine in.

Chow and Routis have done okay up to now in the centre of midfield, but they more than met their match against Welsh/Osman/Edwards.  The three all did well at it but I was particularly impressed by Edwards for how relentless he was in closing down players wherever he was, yet he doesn't do much with the ball.  There was very little creativity from Thistle's midfield but they put a lot of pressure on the County's CM duo, who weren't confident enough to switch play early in the first half and were increasingly forced to pass backwards, keeping Thistle up the pitch.  County have been slagged off by Thistle fans for years for what Thistle did but it works when you win your set-pieces.

It didn't help that County didn't have an out-ball for the switch more often than not: Dow barely kept wide and Dingwall kept far too deep.  The wide midfielders contributed very little to the game - the Celtic match is a write-off but we could really do with Burke being back for the ICT game in a week.

It was a poor spectacle as a whole.  I don't know how four goals were scored in a match where so few chances were made (not counting long range drives).  Boyce and Erskine were the only two that looked capable of making something happen.  Even in an opposition shirt Erskine is a joy to watch in the way he can skip past players - I would love him in that County side as someone who isn't afraid to take a risk and make a mistake, because without Gardyne and Burke there weren't many in the County side willing to take that chance.

1 minute ago, Staggie52 said:

Fair play to all Jags fans who made the trip apart from the two or three in the car that passed us singing "County are shite" as we walked home, hope your trip back is interesting

warnock.png

Pleasing.

1 hour ago, tintax said:

Tragic stuff. The worst I have seen County play in a long time. Partick weren't any better, a match devoid of any real quality. 

I think you're being pretty unfair on an excellent Patrick side tonight. 

Was frightened shitless when I saw the team, but that's a superb three points. Another win before the new year and I think we're better set than most in the bottom 6 going into the window.

Are there any centre backs in Europe with a better goals tally than Liam Lindsay this season?

7 minutes ago, Staggie52 said:

Fair play to all Jags fans who made the trip apart from the two or three in the car that passed us singing "County are shite" as we walked home, hope your trip back is interesting

A bit childish but I did chuckle at that.

Archived