St Mirren v Greenock Morton 31/12/16

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, TurbineTon said:

Still pointing and still laughing.

Not sure why (in this context: I understand all the other reasons we're being laughed at). As has been discussed, it was the old owners, under the old ownership model, that fucked us.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Decent post. I concur that GS and JR are the right people; I just hope they're not two years too late.

I think it's difficult to see how we could avoid going p/t if we did go down. You'd also have to look at stuff like the academy - which while it's not exactly spewing forth million-pound players twice a year, it is at least fuelling our first team - and wonder how that could possibly continue in the third tier.

I'd been saying for a while that we needed at least three wins on the table by Christmas. We've not managed that and we are now pretty much fucked, as far as I can see. We need to smash this transfer window (hey: we're being linked with a Morton reject and an Aberdeen youngster, so it's all good) and start getting some wins PFQ.

If you could absorb a loss for one year then staying full-time should really see you come back straight back up. As Dunfermline showed under Jefferies/Potter it's not guaranteed though and if you don't come straight back up that leaves you absolutely fucked, and you can't realistically expect SMiSA money to be used to bail the club out in that scenario.

Alternatively, where QoS and Morton took the risk of staying full-time and re-established themselves in mid-table immediately on promotion, and even Dunfermline managed to stay full-time despite spending three seasons down, going wholly part-time could feasibly see you find yourselves in a yo-yo Ayr United style existence, though as Dumbarton have shown being part-time is no barrier to survival at this level with good management.

). In St Mirren's ownership model, can they handle six figure losses?  You are left balancing pushing the boat out in the hope of securing an instant return to the Championship which can go wrong (ask Dunfermline) or reduce the playing budget and risk a lengthy stay in the lower leagues.
Its not easy!

Tbf we posted a profit last year.

FWIW, Gordon Scott is a very sound guy and comes across as very competent.   Guys in football also have a lot of time for Jack Ross.
Being in a better place though, is not League 1.  If St Mirren do go down there will be hard choices to be made.  The league distribution cash is less than 1/4 of the equivalent place in the championship.  There will almost certainly be no biggish clubs to bring any kind of away support.  Any club staying fulltime in that league will make losses (unless they can manage a decent cup run). In St Mirren's ownership model, can they handle six figure losses?  You are left balancing pushing the boat out in the hope of securing an instant return to the Championship which can go wrong (ask Dunfermline) or reduce the playing budget and risk a lengthy stay in the lower leagues.
Its not easy!

Id suggest their average home crowd could actually go up if they're winning every week, even allowing for poor travelling supports.

5 minutes ago, LargsTON said:

Id suggest their average home crowd could actually go up if they're winning every week, even allowing for poor travelling supports.

Not out the question at all. We've been on a steady downward trajectory since March 2013 (and let's face it, the cup win glossed over the league form that season, too) - sometimes people just want to see a team that isn't getting pumped every week.

As a parallel, I know a lot of Sunderland and Newcastle fans, and I know which set is having the most fun this season - and it's not the ones who avoided relegation last time out.

(I obviously think relegation would still be disastrous: I'm not attempting to put a sheen on it at all. Just for clarity.)

Yeh it's only good if you come up after a season. Plus we didn't properly run away with it so there were plenty of scenes to be had throughout

Would expect st mitten to come back up, but you'd have expected them to have done OK after their last relegation so who knows

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 19:41, lionel wickson said:

My Uncle Roy Ritchie had the Granny Kempock and the Countess of Kempock.

I remember the 'Granny' well..my earliest recollection of the piermaster @ Kilcreggan was a Roy Ritchie...same chap?...He had a son called Ross and daughter called ...canny remember.

Why is this absolutely delicious, tear-stained-mess commentary not already available on the thread?

The gormless, tech college losers who got dragged into caring about Saint Mirren's doomed league campaign. :lol:

Thut us just ae killer, un ubsolute killer.

1483754152505.jpg

Archived