St Mirren v Greenock Morton 31/12/16

They need maybe 27 points from their remaining 17 games.  Those include 2 games each v The top two. Assume 2 points from that.  They have one match left v third place Morton at Cappielow.  Assume 1 point there.  That leaves them looking for 24 points from the other 12 matches - average 2 points a game. Can't see it happening which is a shame as those derby games are worth a lot of money to us.

It's not a shame whatsoever: it's fucking glorious to see them slither down to the seaside leagues.

And in any case, we should be looking at a playoff place and a real shot and going for promotion. With the greatest of luck, we might not even be in the same league as them anyway.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not a shame whatsoever: it's fucking glorious to see them slither down to the seaside leagues.

And in any case, we should be looking at a playoff place and a real shot and going for promotion. With the greatest of luck, we might not even be in the same league as them anyway.

And folk are calling Saints fans deluded.

35 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

And folk are calling Saints fans deluded.

Nothing deluded about thinking your team could have a go at promotion via the play offs whilst their sat 3rd in the table. Don't expect promotion for a second but can't call it deluded to think we have an outside chance of it. 

1 minute ago, sunlounger said:

Indeed, we'll beat you next time to restore order and further assist the great escape.

Well, you've not had an off day if that's what you're insinuating here, you're just shite. 

1 minute ago, Scosha said:

Every team has an off day. Dundee United lost to Dumbarton yet everyone would expect them to be going for promotion this year.

Precisely this.

And we are in third place after more than half of the season gone, and with a game in hand.

Laugh all you like, but we are more likely to secure a playoff spot than your lot are to stay up, and we've already beaten Killie and Hamilton comfortably this season before the team had even gelled.

Nobody has said promotion is likely, but it's certainly not impossible. And it's certainly more realistic than Tony Fitzpatrick's "St Mirren could be Scottish champions by 2019". Now THERE'S something worth laughing at.

They need maybe 27 points from their remaining 17 games.  Those include 2 games each v The top two. Assume 2 points from that.  They have one match left v third place Morton at Cappielow.  Assume 1 point there.  That leaves them looking for 24 points from the other 12 matches - average 2 points a game. Can't see it happening which is a shame as those derby games are worth a lot of money to us.

You know what's worth even more? Regular visits from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Killie. Not very positive noises from a club director, Nick. Do the board want promotion? Genuine question which we'll know the answer to come the end of this month. Although tbh I think I know the answer already.

I can see Morton finishing in the top 4. There's more chance of St. Mirren staying up than there is of Morton going up though.

Sent from my SM-T110 using Pie and Bovril mobile app

No there's not.

There's a precedent for a team finishing in a play off position going up but a team has never recovered from St Mirrens position in recent times. I can't be arsed digging out Tonsilitis' stats.

No there's not.
There's a precedent for a team finishing in a play off position going up but a team has never recovered from St Mirrens position in recent times. I can't be arsed digging out Tonsilitis' stats.

The stats don't concern me. Morton will probably finish in the playoffs this season.

We probably will go down.

You won't go up.

The stats don't concern me. Morton will probably finish in the playoffs this season.

We probably will go down.

You won't go up.

No.

We probably won't go up.

You will go down.

I like this game.

2 hours ago, LargsTON said:

You know what's worth even more? Regular visits from Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Aberdeen and Killie. Not very positive noises from a club director, Nick. Do the board want promotion? Genuine question which we'll know the answer to come the end of this month. Although tbh I think I know the answer already.

Take it from me, there is plenty of ambition at board level.  That has to be tempered by realism and a lot of work has gone on and continues in making the club work better in every aspect, especially in the last six months since major personnel changes behind the scenes.  If clubs like Hamilton, Ross County and similar can sustain an SPL place, there is no reason why Morton cannot.

If we get a play off place, I assure you everyone at the club will be giving it our best shot for promotion but history tells you that's a long shot.  The way the play off work heavily weights against the third and fourth place clubs and since they started, nobody has managed to go up from that position.  These teams have so many matches to play  to get to the play off final that they generally run out of steam against the SPL side coming fresh to the final.  Second place gives you more of a chance.  As I say, because the odds are stacked against you, and you recognise that, does not mean you do not give it your best shot.

As for St Mirren, the Morton fan in me is very happy to see them struggle and I fully understand that.  The finance director sees two home games with St Mirren replaced by two home games against Livingston.  That's a financial difference of around £70-80k - put another way, two decent players.  Likewise, any other other clubs near the bottom of the championship are likely to bring more visiting fans to Cappielow than any of the likely League 1 play off contenders apart maybe from Airdrie.

Take it from me, there is plenty of ambition at board level.  That has to be tempered by realism and a lot of work has gone on and continues in making the club work better in every aspect, especially in the last six months since major personnel changes behind the scenes.  If clubs like Hamilton, Ross County and similar can sustain an SPL place, there is no reason why Morton cannot.
If we get a play off place, I assure you everyone at the club will be giving it our best shot for promotion but history tells you that's a long shot.  The way the play off work heavily weights against the third and fourth place clubs and since they started, nobody has managed to go up from that position.  These teams have so many matches to play  to get to the play off final that they generally run out of steam against the SPL side coming fresh to the final.  Second place gives you more of a chance.  As I say, because the odds are stacked against you, and you recognise that, does not mean you do not give it your best shot.
As for St Mirren, the Morton fan in me is very happy to see them struggle and I fully understand that.  The finance director sees two home games with St Mirren replaced by two home games against Livingston.  That's a financial difference of around £70-80k - put another way, two decent players.  Likewise, any other other clubs near the bottom of the championship are likely to bring more visiting fans to Cappielow than any of the likely League 1 play off contenders apart maybe from Airdrie.

Two good additions in January will go a long way in helping us beat the odds, Nick.

I hope there are plans to loosen the purse strings.

24 minutes ago, Tonsilitis said:

There's also £120k difference between finishing 3rd and 5th, and a £60k difference between 3rd and 4th. Play-offs are a very realistic target if we get Gunning signed up and a decent striker in. There'd also be a decent income from gate money from any additional play-off game. 

I appreciate the great effort going on behind the scenes over the past 6 months but surely the board can see how much potential this side has, and that the team isn't far away from finishing 3rd/4th.

1 minute ago, sunlounger said:

Scraped a 1-1 draw with bottom of the league, at the weekend. :)

Aye, with 10 men and Kudus Oyenuga playing up front. If we'd had our usual starting 11 playing on Saturday I'm confident we'd have won. 

Archived