buying a console-advice needed-not got a scoob

mungo

So ,

I am at that stage in life where a mid-life crisis usually occurs., Rather than buying a fancy car, or ditching the wife and replacing her with a  20 year old girlfriend , I am going to buy a games console.

The last one I had was a PlayStation 1 , many moons ago , so I imagine things have moved on a lot since then.I haven't played a console for years but I think it is acceptable for older folk to play them these days ?.  Im only going to get a console + fifa . As a kid I guided the Cook Islands to World Cup victory. It remains my greatest achievement in life :unsure2:

I was just having a look there , and see I can pick one up for 200 quid with a game.Which I thought was pretty good. What I was surprised to see is that I would have to pay a monthly subscription to play online , which I think is unfair after making an initial outlay on the console. This kind of puts me off the whole idea.

Is this the same for all consoles ? 

Anybody got any advice about alternatives to the playstation? 

I dont have a clue so any general advice would be appreciated.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You need to pay for Xbox Live to play online, yes. You can usually get a year's subscription for about £30 if you hunt around a bit.

You don't need to pay to play online with PS4, but Xbox Live is a superior service to the PlayStation Network.

Get the console most of your mates have got. There really isn't much between them.

18 minutes ago, mungo said:

So ,

I am at that stage in life where a mid-life crisis usually occurs., Rather than buying a fancy car, or ditching the wife and replacing her with a  20 year old girlfriend , I am going to buy a games console.

The last one I had was a PlayStation 1 , many moons ago , so I imagine things have moved on a lot since then.I haven't played a console for years but I think it is acceptable for older folk to play them these days ?.  Im only going to get a console + fifa . As a kid I guided the Cook Islands to World Cup victory. It remains my greatest achievement in life :unsure2:

I was just having a look there , and see I can pick one up for 200 quid with a game.Which I thought was pretty good. What I was surprised to see is that I would have to pay a monthly subscription to play online , which I think is unfair after making an initial outlay on the console. This kind of puts me off the whole idea.

Image result for morrissey gif

46 minutes ago, mungo said:

So ,

Sounds like the wife will be ditching you soon. :huh:

PC is vastly superior to console, console game prices are massively inflated, on average your spending at least £10-20 per game if your buying new. PC's also have access to countless free to play titles that in some cases can be vastly superior to the "big" release titles. PC gamers also have access to generally much better sales, the steam sales are legendary for it. No doubt everyone will immediately reply with "but its more expensive to buy/build a PC" which is true but the savings you will make with software and not having to play for dumbass things like xbox live (fucking paying to get access to features that are already in the fucking game, pathetic) in the long run PC will be far cheaper.

For the cost of 10 brand new games (being rather generous here and pricing them at £40 each when they are usually more than that and rip of special and collecters editions can be twice, sometimes three times more expensive, or in the case of Final Fantasy 15's special edition, almost 5 times more expensive) lets say £400 of gaming at a guess, 10 brand new games, ive bought well over 200 games for my pc in the past 4 years for about that kinda money. Im not talking about little £2 indie games or this shit, im including brand new games if and when ive felt like buying them. If there were 200 odd games available for so called next gen titles, you would be paying well into the several thousands. Console gaming is a joke, its controlled gaming where you are told where, how and what to play. PC gaming is freedom by comparison. 

15 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

PC is vastly superior to console, console game prices are massively inflated, on average your spending at least £10-20 per game if your buying new. PC's also have access to countless free to play titles that in some cases can be vastly superior to the "big" release titles. PC gamers also have access to generally much better sales, the steam sales are legendary for it. No doubt everyone will immediately reply with "but its more expensive to buy/build a PC" which is true but the savings you will make with software and not having to play for dumbass things like xbox live (fucking paying to get access to features that are already in the fucking game, pathetic) in the long run PC will be far cheaper.

For the cost of 10 brand new games (being rather generous here and pricing them at £40 each when they are usually more than that and rip of special and collecters editions can be twice, sometimes three times more expensive, or in the case of Final Fantasy 15's special edition, almost 5 times more expensive) lets say £400 of gaming at a guess, 10 brand new games, ive bought well over 200 games for my pc in the past 4 years for about that kinda money. Im not talking about little £2 indie games or this shit, im including brand new games if and when ive felt like buying them. If there were 200 odd games available for so called next gen titles, you would be paying well into the several thousands. Console gaming is a joke, its controlled gaming where you are told where, how and what to play. PC gaming is freedom by comparison. 

Can you get FIFA 17 for the PC, given that's the game which the OP wants.   Also is PES still better than FIFA ?  

I'm far older than the OP but I fancy an upgrade from my ZX Spectrum.  

12 minutes ago, XIII said:

Join the master race and get yourself a pc.

And yes you can get Fifa for the pc and you can play it with either a ps3, ps4, xbox or steam controller

do you have to pay an online subscription to play it on online  via a pc?

I think my wife would ask for a divorce if I bought a pc to solely play fifa , although maybe she wouldn't notice if I told her it was for work stuff.A PC is sounding like the best option at the moment.

I have an Xbox 360 and it does me fine. There is a massive catalogue of cheap games and they are widely available. I prefer the Xbox controller as it feels more ergonomic. The playstation one feels small and awkward to me. I've no problem waiting a few years for the latest consoles to come down in price and more games to be out for them.

The best thing about pc? No subscriptions. Get two monitors too so you can multitask. I'm working towards my grad diploma so I do actually use my pc for work related, just get a decent to good pc in a ordinary case to keep the deception.

Also with pc's you have steam which is great gaming service with regular sales

2 hours ago, mungo said:

do you have to pay an online subscription to play it on online  via a pc?

I think my wife would ask for a divorce if I bought a pc to solely play fifa , although maybe she wouldn't notice if I told her it was for work stuff.A PC is sounding like the best option at the moment.

There are no xbox live or psn like network subscriptions on pc, you just play games.

The current Global top sellers on steam during the sale. Watchdogs 2 and Dishonored 2 just came out a matter of weeks ago and your already making pretty respectable savings on them and look at the price of Doom FFS, thats low enough i might actually consider it. The majority of big EA titles dont end up on steam tho cause EA are trying to push Origin as a competitor, i think in this particular market Steam have more than 90% of the business so they dont stand much of a chance.

Untitled.png

So ,

Depends what appeals to you personally, what console you're mates play on and what exclusives you like the look of. The layout of the dashboard and apps are better on the Xbox imo. The PlayStation has some cracking exclusive games like Uncharted and The Last Of Us (which is probably the best game ever made). That's not to say the Xbox doesn't have good exclusives, The Forza Series, Horizon 3 in particular, and Gears of War are up there with the best of them too.

Up until a few weeks ago I was of the opinion that the Xbox was a superior console but I bought the PS4 pro and it's been one of the best purchases I've ever made.

The current Global top sellers on steam during the sale. Watchdogs 2 and Dishonored 2 just came out a matter of weeks ago and your already making pretty respectable savings on them and look at the price of Doom FFS, thats low enough i might actually consider it. The majority of big EA titles dont end up on steam tho cause EA are trying to push Origin as a competitor, i think in this particular market Steam have more than 90% of the business so they dont stand much of a chance.
Untitled.png

f**k sake the UK store is miles cheaper than the US one, I'm pissed off that Australia doesn't have its own store yet (cheers government) so we have to suffer with the US store and currency rates

Actually a bit surprised at those UK Steam prices as in the last few months I've picked up Rainbow 6 Siege for AUD25, Doom for AUD27 and Dishonored 2 was going for AUD35 (all three are console prices). Still a bit cheaper on Steam (at post-Brexit exchange rates), but not by a huge margin.

If you're getting it solely for FIFA just buy whatever is cheapest. 

There's absolutely nothing between Xbox and PS4. 

I have both. I played Uncharted, Until Dawn and The Last of Us on ps4 and is basically been gathering dust ever since. Play xbox constantly. 

Basically, if and of your mates game then get what they have. If not, get the cheapest. 

Archived